S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Flashpro lowering vtec raising redline without a tune

Old 11-12-2018, 11:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flashpro lowering vtec raising redline without a tune

Hey guys,

I have a 2008 s2000 with a gernby midpipe w/ HFC, T1R dual ti exhaust. I have a hondata flashpro.

I have a trackday next weekend, and a tuner can't get me in until after thanksgiving. I went on the flashpro software and lowered VTEC to 4300 and raised redline to 8500. I have not adjusted anything else. I understand this would be suboptimal but will it safely get me through the track day or am I risking my engine?

I have already run autox like this a few times but obviously a track day is way harder on everything.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2018, 01:01 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

That is a terrible idea, you are going to run super lean from 4300rpm to stock VTEC point.
Just run the stock tune.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:15 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

One of the lessons I learned is "if you don't know what you're doing to it to someone else's car."
-- Chuck
Old 11-12-2018, 02:21 PM

I'm in contact with ap1chief now who I think is going to get me in an e-tune before the track day. This is good because now I will win HPDE1 for sure!
Old 11-12-2018, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2kshepard
Hey guys,

I have a 2008 s2000 with a gernby midpipe w/ HFC, T1R dual ti exhaust. I have a hondata flashpro.

I have a trackday next weekend, and a tuner can't get me in until after thanksgiving. I went on the flashpro software and lowered VTEC to 4300 and raised redline to 8500. I have not adjusted anything else. I understand this would be suboptimal but will it safely get me through the track day or am I risking my engine?

I have already run autox like this a few times but obviously a track day is way harder on everything.

Thanks
Sounds like you were very lucky with your autox
For any body else thinking of just moving the vtec point don't do it without a tune as the high cam is only mapped from 5900 - 8500 below 5900 is NOT mapped
Can you update on how different the car drives after ap1chief eTune using your butt dyno
cheers
Old 11-13-2018, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Colin Shipp
Sounds like you were very lucky with your autox
For any body else thinking of just moving the vtec point don't do it without a tune as the high cam is only mapped from 5900 - 8500 below 5900 is NOT mapped
Can you update on how different the car drives after ap1chief eTune using your butt dyno
cheers
It feels relatively similar to before, very smooth, good power after 4200 or so. Basically the car is strong after VTEC and with the lowered VTEC it is in the good zone for much longer. Lower VTEC is 100% necessary for me to enjoy the s2000 platform and a proper tune, like ap1chief's, allows you to run that safely.

My butt dyno doesnt feel a huge difference from before. But I was basically already getting a lot of the benefits of the flashpro (lower vtec, raised redline). No discredit to the quality of ap1chief's tune, because hopefully now this means I am getting those benefits while not so obviously risking blowing my engine. The biggest props to him is that I was in a pretty big bind (needing this done before a track day) and he did it same day after I texted him while he was at work out of the blue. He spent his evening with me. Greatly appreciate that as I can now feel a little better about this track day, one less thing to worry about.

I must be a lucky mofo with 3 autox events on that non-tune + there was a section I pinged off the 8500 in redline for like 5 legitimate seconds. I run this girl hard :P

VTEC now @ 4400
Redline @ 8500

May ask him about lowering VTEC even further if it makes sense, but idk maybe that needs a dyno to figure out which I'll do before long.

Last edited by s2kshepard; 11-13-2018 at 01:26 PM. Reason: because i needed to edit it to add information dammit!
Old 11-13-2018, 01:54 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

My Gernby FlashPro tune has VTEC at 3600 rpm. Depending on throttle, of course. Only switches cams when needed.

-- Chuck
Old 11-16-2018, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2kshepard
It feels relatively similar to before, very smooth, good power after 4200 or so. Basically the car is strong after VTEC and with the lowered VTEC it is in the good zone for much longer. Lower VTEC is 100% necessary for me to enjoy the s2000 platform and a proper tune, like ap1chief's, allows you to run that safely.

My butt dyno doesnt feel a huge difference from before. But I was basically already getting a lot of the benefits of the flashpro (lower vtec, raised redline). No discredit to the quality of ap1chief's tune, because hopefully now this means I am getting those benefits while not so obviously risking blowing my engine. The biggest props to him is that I was in a pretty big bind (needing this done before a track day) and he did it same day after I texted him while he was at work out of the blue. He spent his evening with me. Greatly appreciate that as I can now feel a little better about this track day, one less thing to worry about.

I must be a lucky mofo with 3 autox events on that non-tune + there was a section I pinged off the 8500 in redline for like 5 legitimate seconds. I run this girl hard :P

VTEC now @ 4400
Redline @ 8500

May ask him about lowering VTEC even further if it makes sense, but idk maybe that needs a dyno to figure out which I'll do before long.
There seems to be little problem lowering vtec to 4k but below that I have read that there could possibly be a oil pressure or oil supply issue preventing the vtec engaging correctly.
The correct vtec point should be set by your tuner on a dyno for maximum performance. The low cam and high cam should both be tuned through their full rev range then vtec engagement should be where the engine makes maximum power overall
That said I think you should stick to where ap1chief set vtec as he obviously knows his stuff
People like him make this forum so great
Old 11-21-2018, 01:41 PM

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts

You do not wanna go much lower, as it will actually feel gutless. The smaller cam is allowing more velocity, not having a supercharger or turbocharger to force air, your relying on the timing and cam for best performance. Say you put in a good low-speed camshaft, it hurts the engine's performance at high speeds, and if you put in a good high-speed camshaft it hurts the engine's performance at low speeds, well Vtec is best of both worlds.

Unlike my FI customers, where I typically lowering the Vtec a good bit, My NA customers I keep vtec little higher, to get the benefit from the lower lobe, at low RPMs.

I'm glad I could help too!!!

I'm here for YOU guys!