S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Front abs sensor signal convertion for VSS signal

Old 12-01-2018, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front abs sensor signal convertion for VSS signal

Hi Guys

I am trying to source a bolt on kit that will change the vss OEM approach from the transmission. to a front non driven wheel speed sensor, a stock ap1 abs sensor

Stock abs ap1 sensor is a very particular one,has around 1.5 K ohms as passive abs sensors, but two wire with a 5 vol reference signal, like actives abs sensors, which makes it in theory a hall effect 2 wire sensor but the Factory service manual shows the scoope signal as an AC styled one, so I will check it with the scoope in two days.. so...

we can custom mount a race technologies hall effect sensor against to a metal target at the front wheel hub, for example the heads of the studs and get a square type signal. then condition it to the pulse per miles the cluster and ecu before the split to the 4000 ppms or so needed to have all working, race technologies offers a frequency divider multiplier that might get us there, the stock frnt abs reluctor has 50 teeth so depending on the wheel and Tire it will need a nice unit window for adjustments..

Dakota electronics makes a universal signal interface wich could handle many forms of AC and Square type signals and modify them, they are vastly used when swapping trannies, wondering if they could handle the 2 wire honda sensor and feed out the modulated signal without issues.Wondering if T tapping the abs signal will cause issues to abs system

what benefits from doing this mod?

nice true ground speed to set all stand alones boost by speed in the right way,
nice traction control on any aftermarket capable ecu having the right measure from the non driven wheel
eps soft top cruise control will still work
abs will still work
PPG gear sets and albins tends to through more debris to sensor affecting the reading every once in a while

So if anybody have done this before please share, skip the motec or universal gps setups as they do not respond quickly and get messed with weather and the waiting time to work after overnight restarts are odd

thanks

Old 12-11-2018, 11:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you absolutely want to retain factory ABS?
Old 05-23-2019, 04:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No need for any extra hardware or sensors.

Get out your scope. The signal from the hall sensor on the OEM gearbox is very stable.

Any proper ecu or dash can read all the wheel speeds from the OEM abs system and keep in functioning normally.

Use an output pin on your ecu or dash to send a signal to the oem cluster or even directly to the EPS.

You're correct on the GPS comment. GPS can't touch a properly calibrated wheel speed signal for accuracy.

-Paddy
Old 05-25-2019, 09:32 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by PaddyMcP
No need for any extra hardware or sensors.

Get out your scope. The signal from the hall sensor on the OEM gearbox is very stable.

Any proper ecu or dash can read all the wheel speeds from the OEM abs system and keep in functioning normally.

Use an output pin on your ecu or dash to send a signal to the oem cluster or even directly to the EPS.

You're correct on the GPS comment. GPS can't touch a properly calibrated wheel speed signal for accuracy.

-Paddy
Not sure where you got that information from because the sensor is very noisy. I had considered the dakota digital unit for use in traction control. I ended up going with a SOS unit that does the same thing, but comes with values for calibration that were spot on...so glad I went with it. I am on AEM infinity though, which is required for the SOS unit.