S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

gern-tune review

Old 05-08-2019, 03:29 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

gernby is awesome, glad to hear hes still tuning

been running his tune for years
Old 06-10-2019, 02:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just completed my tune with Gernby last week. Such a huge difference in the way the car responds. Car is so much more enjoyable to drive now. I don’t think I can ever go back to stock. Haha! Thanks Gernby!
Old 07-07-2019, 06:09 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 808_runwarrior
I just completed my tune with Gernby last week. Such a huge difference in the way the car responds. Car is so much more enjoyable to drive now. I don’t think I can ever go back to stock. Haha! Thanks Gernby!
This is exactly how I felt. You have to revert back to the oem tune for smog every so often, but when you do it makes you feel that much more appreciative for the Gern-tune. I don't enjoy driving a stock tuned s2k anymore either.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:57 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Have you tried to pass smog with the Gernby FlashPro tune in California? Just curious. I passed smog 3 times in Ohio with mine but it's a OBD2 port test. Berk high flow cat. No CEL.

-- Chuck
Old 07-08-2019, 02:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Have you tried to pass smog with the Gernby FlashPro tune in California? Just curious. I passed smog 3 times in Ohio with mine but it's a OBD2 port test. Berk high flow cat. No CEL.

-- Chuck
I would expect tuned a car to be able to pass CA smog as long as you can get all the reediness monitors set.

Chuck, Is your rear o2 sensor on? In CA a tune will fail if it is set to ignore the rear o2.

I had some issues getting the monitors to set with a FPIK & Berk HFC (and also a Ballade Sports HFC with the same Magnaflow core). I am wondering if a proper tune will make any difference with the HFC's cleaning performance and what the rear o2 measures. It already seems to be easier to get the monitors to set during warmer weather, so I would bet a dialed-in tune could make a difference.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:22 PM

Don't have a clue if the rear O2 sensor is set to ignore or not nor do I know how to find out. Can only report my 3 Ohio smog checks all passed and all were done after the Gernby FlashPro tune. I never did any "readiness prep" and just drove up to the kiosk one Sunday afternoon as I was driving by. All were done purely out of curiosity as I titled and licensed the car in a non smog (and lower sales tax) county where I owned a second home and had it tested at one of the self-service 24 hour emissions kiosks in Cleveland where smog is required. I tried a 4th time but the machine reported my last test was still good and didn't print a newer certificate.

The self-service kiosks are a time saver as a car can be tested any time day or night. The kiosk reads the VIN off the bar code in the door jam. Prints out a certificate and the results go digitally to DMV data base.

Not run a smog test in the past two years as I'm in a non-smog county in Virginia.

-- Chuck
Old 07-08-2019, 03:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't have a clue if the rear O2 sensor is set to ignore or not nor do I know how to find out. Can only report my 3 Ohio smog checks all passed and all were done after the Gernby FlashPro tune. I never did any "readiness prep" and just drove up to the kiosk one Sunday afternoon as I was driving by. All were done purely out of curiosity as I titled and licensed the car in a non smog (and lower sales tax) county where I owned a second home and had it tested at one of the self-service 24 hour emissions kiosks in Cleveland where smog is required. I tried a 4th time but the machine reported my last test was still good and didn't print a newer certificate.

The self-service kiosks are a time saver as a car can be tested any time day or night. The kiosk reads the VIN off the bar code in the door jam. Prints out a certificate and the results go digitally to DMV data base.

Not run a smog test in the past two years as I'm in a non-smog county in Virginia.

-- Chuck
You just blew my mind. SELF SERVICE SMOG CHECKS?! In California, we have to go to an authorized smog check center where they not only plug into the OBD2, but also do a visual test. If anything doesn't look correct or an aftermarket part is is missing a CARB number, instant fail.

I almost failed because the smog tech thought that my Ballade Sports HFC with the OEM heat shield looked too clean. They then proceeded to question me on the age of the cat, and why it was replaced. He was crawling all over the underside of the car with a little mirror-on-a-stick trying desperately to find anything to fail me.

FWIW: The FlashPro can check the readiness codes, as well as most OBD2 readers (I use TorquePro for Android).
Old 07-08-2019, 03:39 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

-- Chuck
Chuck, curious what version of Flashpro you're on. Something is way different for me as I could NOT for the life of me get my EVAP and Catalyst readiness codes to set while running a Gernby tune this will fail you with Illinois style testing. This is after driving hundreds of miles and same routes which I know will trigger readiness monitors. Alternatively, maybe Ohio allows 2 "not ready" codes and you can still pass? It would be interesting to see status of readiness monitors on your car to make sure we're sharing good info and comparing apples to apples.

I also tried other tunes from the Flashpro library, some labeled "CARB compliant" and still couldn't the same 2 readiness monitors to set. Only way I could get them as "ready" status was to flash to stock and unlock the flashpro from my car, which then gets me a CEL for the Berk HFC but that's an entirely different story.

So the biennial process I follow to pass Chicago emissions testing is to unlock flashpro and put the stock Cat back on. Bit of a hassle but the Gernby tune makes it worth it, it's that much of an improvement.

Last edited by lookstoomuch; 07-08-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:20 PM

FlashPro version?? Hardware is what I bought in 2015 and what the car was tuned on. Current version of the software in on my PC and is 3.3.2.0, but no tuning was done with it and I've only used the hardware to play with gauge display on my iPad and iPhone. Since FlashPro is only connected to load a tune or capture date I can't intuitively see how the version makes any difference, it's not hardware merely a temporary interface between the laptop and car's ECU.

Ohio requires the readiness codes to be set to ready or the test won't even start so mine must have been ready.

Edited to add: Got curious so went down to the car which now shows Not Ready -- 5 blinks of the CEL when the ignition is turned on and not started for a few seconds. Glad I'm in non-emissions check Virginia.

Here's a video from several years ago when there was just one location and it was a novelty.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 07-08-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:23 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

FlashPro version?? Hardware is what I bought in 2015 and what the car was tuned on. Current version of the software in on my PC and is 3.3.2.0, but no tuning was done with it and I've only used the hardware to play with gauge display on my iPad and iPhone. Since FlashPro is only connected to load a tune or capture date I can't intuitively see how the version makes any difference, it's not hardware merely a temporary interface between the laptop and car's ECU.

Ohio requires the readiness codes to be set to ready or the test won't even start so mine must have been ready.

Edited to add: Got curious so went down to the car which now shows Not Ready -- 5 blinks of the CEL when the ignition is turned on and not started for a few seconds. Glad I'm in non-emissions check Virginia.

-- Chuck
Was inquiring to both software / hardware as believe there are a few different FlashPro hardware version (Race, CARB, etc..). I'm only guessing that the software could detect what version of hardware was being used and force some parameters to cover the company legally if they ever got sued, i.e. Race version would never set readiness monitor where CARB would but then not let the tuner override other parameters. Moot point as you're likely running the same hardware I am.

Either way all my googling concluded that the ability to set the readiness codes was disabled in the past couiple of years. Your points of reference kind of support that theory as you had passed emissions in the past while now the car would not pass the same test.

Quick Reply: gern-tune review