S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Hondata - Idle Adjustment

Old 07-09-2018, 04:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hondata - Idle Adjustment

I'm looking for a little help. I'm a complete noob when it comes to using my FlashPro. My car was tuned by Gernby but I find that when the A/C is on the idle drops when the clutch is pressed in and the engine hesitates. The idle just drops too low for a split second. Makes it seem like it's going to stall. The car drives great otherwise and when the A/C is off there isn't any problems at all.

I'm hoping to address this I can simply increase the idle rpm. I see in FlashPro Manager > Calibration >Idle
Under those settings there 2 tables. 1 for initial start and 1 for normal. It looks like it's setup to have the idle drop after the car warms up. If I want to raise the idle can i change the 900rpm values in both tables to 1000? I'm thinking the extra 100 rpm will keep it from dipping to the point where the car hesistates.

Is this safe to do? Will this effect any other settings by doing so?

I've attached a screenshot of the setting.

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2018, 09:40 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Yes that should be perfectly safe and don't affect anything else.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:24 AM

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts

That's not the right adjustment to fix, that's more of a bandaid.

can contact me and I can get her worked out for you
Old 07-10-2018, 08:57 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Why not just share your knowledge right here, like this forum is meant for?
I know you are trying to get costumers but it is a bit annoying seeing these kind of messages everyday.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:39 PM

Thanks Flanders, I'll give that a shot.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:34 PM

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Check crank backlash with a dial indicator. An idle going lower with clutch engagement is an early sign of thrust washer failure. Typically found with cars that run aftermarket clutches that do not bypass the clutch safety switch for starting the car.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:18 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Assuming the fuel map is tuned correctly at all applicable Manifold Pressure values (higher with AC on) without excessive STFT and of course proper mechanical operation of the thrust washer:

You might need to adjust the Throttle vs Airflow table. My thread on Hondata forum was the reason they added this table. If idle is dipping too much, the values in that table are too high for that Throttle Plate angle. Either adjust that, or turn your Throttle Body set screw to increase mechanical airflow as needed. You could also try cleaning the Throttle Body to increase mechanical airflow at idle though the gains would be marginal.

A way to gauge if the above table needs adjustment, check your Ignition Timing at idle at hot and cold Coolant Temperatures. Not sure what the stock range is but it seems the max is 9 degrees. I've seen it go as low as -2.5 degrees but it might go lower. The ECU uses the Throttle Plate as a Coarse Adjustment and the Ignition Timing as a Fine Adjustment to regulate idle speed. You want to target adjustment of these two 'knobs' so your Ignition Timing is centered in the allowable range. I find about +2 degrees is good enough for Ignition Timing at idle.

Post a datalog of this behavior and your Throttle vs Airflow table values and I can guide you from there. The important values to look at here are Ignition Timing and Throttle Plate angle. There are a couple different ways to skin this cat.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:34 AM

Thanks everyone. I'll try to get some time in the car and post a datalog
Old 07-21-2018, 04:04 AM

Received 1,130 Likes on 993 Posts

Contact Greg and send the data. He's still tuning the S2000 and will respond.

-- Chuck
Old 07-28-2018, 07:24 PM

hi. i've uploaded a few logs for anyone who can take a look and suggest a fix. in datalogs 28 and 29 it is from gernby's final tune he provided me. datalog0030 is after i simply modified the idle and changed it to 1000. Basically all the values which show 900 i changed to 1000 and programmed it to the car. It seems to help a bit but i notice that the bog is still noticable. with the A/C off the car drives fine.

thanks!!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip
astroboy84 datalog.zip (2.22 MB, 12 views)

Quick Reply: Hondata - Idle Adjustment