S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

MaxxECU Street / Sport standalone ECU: who uses it ?

Old 04-02-2019, 06:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default MaxxECU Street / Sport standalone ECU: who uses it ?

Hi everybody,

Because my local tuner uses MaxxECU, and because the solution looks very interesting, I think I will soon buy a MaxxECU Sport to tune my supercharged S2000.
Here is a link to this product:
MaxxECU SPORT engine management

And here a link to a page that compares the features of all the MaxxECU ECUs:
MaxxECU ECU compare chart

To me, the Sport version is the most interesting because I want the bluetooth +android app feature. But if you forget that, the Street version is the best bang for the buck I think.

I made a little "comparison" between several brands/models of ECU, to make my choice for my supercharger project. I share it with you if that can help:

My main hesitation is between MaxxECU Sport and Doctronic ProEcu-S2K. But I would like to work with the VE tuning method, which the Doctronic doesn't have...
The main thing that I still haven't seen vercy clearly in the MaxxECU tuning software is the VTEC features: I couldn't find the High and Low cam tables...

I would be very interesting if some of you have feedbacks on the MaxxECU
Old 04-02-2019, 08:12 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

MaxxECU is Swedish so it got to be good stuff
Seriously though I only heard of one S2000 here that runs with them but I think he use the Race version, its a pretty wild big turbo car.
Neither street or sport supports knock sensors which is pretty bad and I'm pretty sure none of them has real OBDII support for emission tests.
You have regular vehicle inspections in France as well where they connect to the OBD port?
Old 04-02-2019, 11:45 PM

Street and Sport don't have "built-in knock sensor support". The word "built-in" disturbed me: in the same idea that for the "built-in map" and "built-in wideband", I understood that there was no knock sensor in the kit but that it could use the oem knock sensors.
Don't you think so ?
If there is absolutely no knock control, I will forget this ECU for sure and go for Doctronic.

Both Street and Sport have OBDII support (and you can enter the VIN number in the ECU). But I don't know what you call "a real OBDII support for emission tests".
In France we have a technical inspection every 2 year, with emission test and OBDII connection. But my inspector told me that the misfunction of OBDII was a "minor defaut", so it will be noted on the inspection report but this is not a big problem (for the moment... the modify the inspection very often to get it harder and harder...).
Old 04-02-2019, 11:58 PM

Reading this MaxxECU online help, I thnik you are right...
External knock control

Street and Sport version have to be connected (via an analog input) to an external knock control device... I am dissapointed !
Old 03-23-2021, 01:29 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Did you ever do this?

I'm debating ditching KPro and going to a standalone again for everything other than emissions testing. Considering something better than AEM 506 and Haltech 1000/1500. I'm thinking about Maxxecu Race, Emtron KV8, Haltech 2500, and AEM 508 (I want 8x injector outputs to run staged injectors). Trying to build a spreadsheet to compare them and document what I actually 'must-have'. Emtron appears to be incredibly powerful and tuners love it, but there are no basemaps for the S2000 and I'm sure I would spend quite a bit of time just getting it running. Maxxecu isn't quite a powerful as Emtron, but they have a baseman for their Race version for the S2000, awesome help files, pretty easy to use and understand software, and it looks like their baseman will drive the coolant temp sensor. Quite a few people who run Maxxecu seem to love it. The Haltech and AEM aren't my first choices, but I would be foolish to overlook them.

One nice thing about Maxxecu- they have BMW DCT support. BMW DCT swaps now exist for the S2000. I love shifting myself, but this could make a pretty ridiculous street/race car.

Tim
Old 03-24-2021, 12:43 AM

I have gone with the Doctronic ECU for my S2K that is a simple street car, just supercharged.
To be honest, Doctronic is not really a full standalone fully programmable.
A part of me thinks I should have gone for the MaxxECU, mainly because my local tuner is skillfull on that ECU, and I also see like you that all the MaxxECU users love it !
There is a Facebook Group called "MaxxECU Projects": you can maybe find information there