S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

2002 s2k turbo questions.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 s2k turbo questions.

Hello all!

recently my s2k has began to smoke a little bit here and there, more than normal anyways..... the motor is bone stock with a t4 Garrett turbo off of a ford Brazilian diesel truck.

anyways, the car use to every once in a blue moon puff some smoke for a second after being started in the cold. however recently, it will smoke on start up for a minute then it will go away while drive, but my friends still smell a oil-burning smell while driving behind me. while stopped at stoplights sometimes it will smoke a little for a quick minute, but then sometimes its a big plum of smoke.

general facts about the car:

I run royal purple 10w 30 oil
the car currently runs the stock injectors and ECU. ( I never push the car to 0 (zero) vacuum while driving)
The Garrett turbo is a journal bearing turbo and was rebuilt before it was installed on the car. Since the install the turbo has never seen positive pressure. ( I was wondering if maybe there is a break in period for rebuilt turbos????)

Compression numbers are good, as in they are all within the specs that i have seen around the internet.

I recently changed the oil and changed my pcv valve just to verify. Note that the old pcv valve wasn't clogged at all. I changed it just to rule it out for sure.

The over valve cover hose is routed to the intake pipe on the intake side of the turbo, again to verify I unhooked it and let it vent to atmosphere.

I still get the same results.. Note it smokes at stop signs/stop lights or when first starting while idling. But does not smoke while idling all the time!!!

I'm baffled at this. so if anyone has any insight to this please let me know. the S isn't my daily, but I'm just curious to what might be the cause.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So you have been driving around with a turbo kit on your car, but no engine management? bad idea

But yeah its probably the turbo, if motor was fine before you put it on, assuming you have really not boosted at all. I have also read Royal purple is terrible for boosted apps, so that could potentially be the problem too.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:52 AM

So this morning i pulled my charge piping off and there is a significant amount of shaft play on the turbine. I started the car up and the shaft didnt even spin. i reved it slightly and it begins spinning but at idle it stops.. and even while the car is started there is a huge amount of shaft play with the turbo.. i guess my garrett is done for.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:00 AM

pull that mother eff'er off before you suck in a broken fin! lol
Old 10-24-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know what shaft play is ok? Side to side is ok, in and out, not so much.

Sent using free Tapatalk - Android FTW
Old 10-24-2011, 09:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And yes royal purple blows.

Why dont you go ahead and finish your build (get an EMS and get tuned) instead of ruining the car.

Sent using free Tapatalk - Android FTW
Old 10-24-2011, 09:45 AM

time for a new turbo and a ems....and dont ever put ur hand, finger, toe or w.e in a turbo while the car is on even if the turbine doesnt spine at idle u might end up loosing a body part!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:42 AM

side to side it moves a bit up and down the fins touch.. ever since i took the charge piping off, it doesnt smoke as much.. the valve cover hose that most people vent to atmosphere was ran to the intake on the turbo i dunno if that had anything to do with it.. as of now i added my oil catch can set up and what not..

Oh, I have an AEM ems. V2.. its sitting on my floor.

I noticed when i took the charge piping off the compressor that it had a lot of what looked like black dust and maybe a tiny film of oil on it. but Im putting all my pennies on the turbo.

anyway here is a video i just took. maybe it will show you and you can offer some more insight.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:08 AM

holy mother of pearl that thing is fudged!
Old 10-24-2011, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by hurtgen
holy mother of pearl that thing is fudged!
I'm guessing that the moment shown is way beyond spec?

Quick Reply: 2002 s2k turbo questions.