S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Broke my transmission

Old 07-11-2014, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke my transmission

Well finally broke my stock trans after babing it for a well. Now I don't know what to go with V160,T56,PPG gears, ????

I want to keep it stick shift. What do you guys recommend for 1100hp. I'm at 752 right now but will be going higher once I build the motor.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2014, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tecaterob
Well finally broke my stock trans after babing it for a well. Now I don't know what to go with V160,T56,PPG gears, ????

I want to keep it stick shift. What do you guys recommend for 1100hp. I'm at 752 right now but will be going higher once I build the motor.

Thanks
G force gsr 4speed is the only only I would use for that high hp goal

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-12-2014, 12:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gforce. In the end youre going to spend the same amount on a v160, which is just another oem transmission.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly, I dunno why the v160 is so popular...for the money, there's definitely better options:

if someone really wanted to go fast, I would use the FBM mounting kit...but run a Modded A340 from an Auto Supra, from Sound Performance ... and control it with a trans box from PCS...

The weak part of the A340 was the 2nd gear sprag, and SP has a Billet piece...lockup converter...lighter car...and slicks...makes 8s look pretty easy, without needing 1100whp.

Or you dudes need to lookup RacerStev, who heat-treats the stock gears...shit works amazing on FWD Hondas, I've used it. He's on Honda-tech and all over, If I remember, he used to race a Suzuki back in the day and there with no options...I think we need to collectively figure out a stock-trans option thats good upto 750whp or so. I've been out of the game for awhile, but I've personally ran FWD Hondas into the 9s on those gears, back in like 2007 with ~700whp. If you sent in a brand-new 2nd and 4th...its only a few hundo to do, i'm pretty sure it would hold. If you wanted to go harder you could do the WPC Metal treatment on the gears also...

People need to start experimenting with restricting the flow on the twin-disk setups...so the 'hit' isn't so hard. The shock is what mercs out the trannys on all cars. Nitrous jets work good...or go Carbon-Carbon on the clutch so the hit isn't as hard, more driveable too.

If combined with a PPG 1:1 Drop Gear, you have the gearing to run 9s on a stock trans and a ~26" tire, without shifting into 5th.

The main idea I'm trying to get across, is that the answer might be alot easier and cheaper than the general consensus...

RacerStev-treated Gears w\ WPC Treatment, PPG 1:1 Billet Drop Gear, a Puddymod Diff w\ Quaife and a SOS Carbon-Carbon Twin...DSS Aluminum or CF Driveshaft, and Axles if yer feelin' froggy...I'm pretty convinced that would be a super legit setup with no downsides. If you properly setup your Boost by Gear and didn't drive it like a douche...lift and shift, I'm pretty sure it could be a low 10 setup all day with 600-650whp. The gear treatment has been proven to hold 750-800whp...if you combine with the WPC treatment (Its all over MotoIQ)...which you can do to the synchro-rings and gears so they don't round-off so easily.

To be completely honest, that's going to be my eventual trans setup. I put it together from the point of view of building a drive-able, quiet, enjoyable, setup for a real 6-700whp streetcar...that would be reliable enough to goto the track, peel off consistent 10sec passes, then drive home.

If you wanna go faster, you need to put an Auto in the car...or a G-Force 4-speed. Spending 5-10k to put another OEM Trans(v160) in yer car that runs hot and rattles like it's broken...

A street car, should be something that you can pick-up a date in...who isn't into cars...and ideally, beable to take her on the date without her ever freaking out...or wondering what that clunking sound is...etc etc.

The point i'm getting at, is that if we can easily make 600whp-700whp on a stock-engine...we need the stock trans and rear-end to support that. That needs to be the line in the sand...

600-700whp Street Car - Modded\Improved Stock Parts

700whp+ - Not really a streetcar anymore (8.8, G-Force or Auto)

I've got over 1000hrs tuning on the dyno back in the day, and have seen every car...but theres really nothing i've driven more fun than a quick-spooling turbo s2000.

It's not always about throwing money at things...
Old 07-12-2014, 03:46 AM

Oh BTW: All that being said...I'm not saying my ideas are the end all be-all...but in my opinion, running a 2-trans rotation...stock treated gears. You could maybe get away with swapping to your fresh trans, when it's time to put new disks in yer carbon-clutch. (It's rebuildable). Boom, fresh tranny...Now you have time to go thru Trans #1, peep out everything...assess the wear-items...and improve. In the meantime, yer still rollin'...zero downtime. I live in a climate now that allows year-round use of pleasure vehicles and fun...when I lived in the midwest, it was ok to have your car on jackstands half the year...10yrs later, I realize that's one of the most depressing parts of the car game...racecars sucking up your life that sit on bricks for years at a time. This is a very expensive hobby, which to outsiders...looks pretty hurting.

It's collective R&D, we need to figure this trans thing out...if we do, alot less people will be parting out their stuff, frustrated. The community benefits...shops benefit.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:40 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I wouldn't consider 600-700whp s2000 a street car, more so a monster car :tip wink: I do like the cryo-treated gear idea, I just wish there was better information as to its power level limitations
Old 07-12-2014, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tecaterob
752HP on stock sleeves/internals... Damn I love our engines

I need to stop feeling guilty every time I floor my throttle lol.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:54 AM

I seen a few cars with GSR 4 speed and the GF-2000 clutch less 5spd. I like the clutch less but I race in the street from time to time. Do you guys drive your Gforce in the street?
Old 07-12-2014, 12:43 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

The problem with the stock trans is the case is too weak to support modding the gears for big power. The problem is the case starts to pull apart while the gears are meshed, which in turn causes the gears to pull away from eachother and putting all the power to the tips of them. This eventually causes the gear teeth to break.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not what you want to read maybe, not a manual, still a nice transmission, will handle the power...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

Quick Reply: Broke my transmission