S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Can an oil cooler effect oil pressure? Low(er) oil pressure issue

Old 03-15-2017, 07:33 AM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K-F8
I got an oil sample to send out to Blackstone for analysis so will have to wait on them for results.
Any oil analysis results?
Old 03-27-2017, 08:18 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Any more info on this? Anyone else getting low pressure readings running the Jackson racing cooler/rad?
Old 03-29-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by d1000rr
Any more info on this? Anyone else getting low pressure readings running the Jackson racing cooler/rad?
I bypassed the oil cooler to troubleshoot the (potential) problem. Without the oil cooler portion of the radiator hooked up, my oil pressure #'s went right back to stock #'s. I sent an oil sample in for analysis, and that came back fine. I also had a compression and leakdown test done... results were great.

So I don't think there was an issue
Old 03-30-2017, 05:45 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

An easy way to deal with this and reduce the size of the oil lines you have to run is to drill a hole in the sandwich plate going from oneside of the plate to the other.

I used a 9mm drill bit and then used AN8 oil lines and i suffer no oil pressure issues at all. There is no need to try and force all of the engines oil through a restrictive cooler. By drilling a hole you are giving the oil an alternative path to go through so when your at low RPMS it will use the drill hole and when that hole becomes restrictive oil will start flowing through the oil cooler. Even if you only had 10 liters per minute going through the oil cooler it would still provide plenty of cooling effect. Plus you are less likely to burst the cooler which can happen when it starts becoming restrictive.

The S2000 oil pump moves 60 litres per minute at 6000rpm and you will struggle to find a cooler that can handle that flow rate without causing a restriction. The only way to reduce restriction is a better core or more rows. More rows isnt a great idea as fitment becomes an issue. I opted for a full length 19 row cooler.

My oil cooler was alot easier to install with narrow AN8 lines and im having no issues with oil temperatures on my supercharger set up.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with any heat exchanger you should calculate the internal flow area to make sure there is not a significant restriction to flow. any time you lengthen the distance the oil has to travel there will be a drop in pressure due to surface area drag coefficient. so the longer the flow path of the core and lines included, the more pressure loss you will see. the same applies to intercoolers and radiators.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by markforrester99
An easy way to deal with this and reduce the size of the oil lines you have to run is to drill a hole in the sandwich plate going from oneside of the plate to the other.

I used a 9mm drill bit and then used AN8 oil lines and i suffer no oil pressure issues at all. There is no need to try and force all of the engines oil through a restrictive cooler. By drilling a hole you are giving the oil an alternative path to go through so when your at low RPMS it will use the drill hole and when that hole becomes restrictive oil will start flowing through the oil cooler. Even if you only had 10 liters per minute going through the oil cooler it would still provide plenty of cooling effect. Plus you are less likely to burst the cooler which can happen when it starts becoming restrictive.

The S2000 oil pump moves 60 litres per minute at 6000rpm and you will struggle to find a cooler that can handle that flow rate without causing a restriction. The only way to reduce restriction is a better core or more rows. More rows isnt a great idea as fitment becomes an issue. I opted for a full length 19 row cooler..
Very clever and that sounds like a good solution which should work. I take it you just drilled a 9mm hole from the "front" to "back" side of the sandwich plate where the ports are to bypass the normal main ports for the sandwich plate? I'm going to keep a closer eye on temps next time I do a track day and see if there's a clear pressure drop when the thermostat is fully open. If so, this could be a good mod to the sandwich plate to reduce any pressure drop.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:52 PM

Yeah thats exactly what i done. I use the mocal thermostatic sandwich plate as well and i still get good flow through the cooler and its always hot to touch after a long run. The only thing i dont know is whether the oil rushing passed the drilled hole would gradually erode the aluminium. Probably just paranoid but thats my only worry.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:30 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by markforrester99
Yeah thats exactly what i done. I use the mocal thermostatic sandwich plate as well and i still get good flow through the cooler and its always hot to touch after a long run. The only thing i dont know is whether the oil rushing passed the drilled hole would gradually erode the aluminium. Probably just paranoid but thats my only worry.
Ha.. I'm not a metallurgist but I highly doubt hot oil would erode aluminum at <300F. I mean heck, the head is aluminum with plenty of small ports in it and I've never heard of aluminum eroding. Thanks for the idea. I might try this out down the road. Absolute worst case if it does nothing or hurts it'd be easy to drill and tap the hole for a plug and plug the hole back up..
Old 03-31-2017, 09:15 AM

I was just worried about the oil flowing past the sharp edge of the drilled hole causing it to wear away but now you mention it the chances of it doing any damage are very small. Well assuming the ali mocal use isn't stupidly cheap
Old 04-05-2017, 04:51 PM
Community Organizer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I am running the mishimoto plate. Do you have any pics of the hole you drilled? I shimmed the oil pump a bit and it helps but long periods in VTEC with high oil temps lead to pressure drop. I see 60-65 psi at 235f but normal driving I get 75-80psi cruising around even with hot oil temps around 220_230f. My pressure per the manual is good as I have 75-110 psi cold start summer winter. And full hot idle is 12-20 psi.

Quick Reply: Can an oil cooler effect oil pressure? Low(er) oil pressure issue