S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Cylinder Head Parts Rebuild for Turbo

Old 01-26-2016, 07:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cylinder Head Parts Rebuild for Turbo

Hey Guys,

I have an Ap1 and will be soon rebuilding the head. I will be boosting the S probably sometime in the thanksgiving and Christmas season. My target is 300whp. Will the stock springs work for a boosted car? I'm trying to stay on a budget.

Anyway, the parts I'm planning to get are:

• Ferrea 6000 series STD size Valve Kit (F6329/F6330)
  • Supertech Bronze Valve Guides (GDE-HS255-I/GDE-HS255-E)
  • Brian Crower Valvesprings Steel Retainers or Supertech 92lb Dual Valvesprings Retainer or Stock Springs
  • Ferrea Valve Locks

If you guys have any recommendations or experience with these parts. Feel free to comment.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should be fine using the stock valve train for only 300whp. Save your money for something else.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:53 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have bc dual springs, steel retainers, and bc keepers. I had no problems with them still in my car now never even pulled the head to install them, I wouldn't trust oem springs. I'm about to pull the head and build it soon. I'm going with the Kings performance kit so I will be selling the bc's if your interested PM me.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:57 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

I agree, stock head is more then adequate for your goals. The only thing that would be reasonable to do wile its apart is to update it with the ap2 valve keeper and retainers. These are a weaker point on the f20 heads in those mechanical over rev situations. Will help keep you from dropping a valve. Stiffer dual springs just added additional load and wear to your parts so its a trade off for valve control, but if your not pushing the power requirements to that threshold of needed added valve control, then your just spending money for a compromised set up. Titanium retainers have also been known to have questionable longevity and reliability in some cases seen on this forum. I would consider aftermarket valve train at the 600whp+ mark. That's your threshold.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
I agree, stock head is more then adequate for your goals. The only thing that would be reasonable to do wile its apart is to update it with the ap2 valve keeper and retainers. These are a weaker point on the f20 heads in those mechanical over rev situations. Will help keep you from dropping a valve. Stiffer dual springs just added additional load and wear to your parts so its a trade off for valve control, but if your not pushing the power requirements to that threshold of needed added valve control, then your just spending money for a compromised set up. Titanium retainers have also been known to have questionable longevity and reliability in some cases seen on this forum. I would consider aftermarket valve train at the 600whp+ mark. That's your threshold.
I over-revved my engine when I mis-shifted 2 months ago so now some valves are bent so that's the reason why I'm upgrading.

So do you think it'd be better to use:

Ferrea Valves
Ferrea Seals
Supertech Bronze Guides
Stock Springs, Retainers (Ap2), and Keepers

Or should I go with aftermarket retainers and keepers?

Would it also make sense if I went dual springs just in case I over-rev again?

I'm on a budget so I'm trying to keep the cost to minimum if I don't have to upgrade the springs that would be cool.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:36 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by ppy1111
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1453834645' post='23863169
I over-revved my engine when I mis-shifted 2 months ago so now some valves are bent so that's the reason why I'm upgrading.

So do you think it'd be better to use:

Ferrea Valves
Ferrea Seals
Supertech Bronze Guides
Stock Springs, Retainers (Ap2), and Keepers

Or should I go with aftermarket retainers and keepers?

Would it also make sense if I went dual springs just in case I over-rev again?

I'm on a budget so I'm trying to keep the cost to minimum if I don't have to upgrade the springs that would be cool.
Higher LB valve springs such as the dual's are there to help prevent valve float on more aggressive lobe aftermarket camshafts primarily. The stock valve springs are matched well to the factory cams, controlling valve float beyond the rated 9k, redline within reasonable spec. In a mechanical over rev situation(miss shift)a higher rate spring isn't going to do a whole lot for you. What will, is the ability of the valve keepers to hold on to your valve stems so it does not drop in the cylinder like they are more prone to do on an f20 equipped head. You got lucky you just bent some. And thats what you want in this scenario. F22 heads have beefier valve retainers and keepers so they are more apt to held the valve without cracking the retainers and dropping the valve completely in the cylinder and destroying the engine. Your driving habits are going to be what dictates the longevity of your equipment - in in otherwards stop miss shifting! This isn't about what your power level is, certainly at a slim 300whp goal. I would run completely stock head with f22 valve retainers and keepers in your case wile you are doing a recon. Keep everything stock equip. I did on my 450whp set up when recon my F22 head for my bottom end build without second guessing it. OEM is the most reliable with the most longevity over anything "built" or aftermarket within reasonable power levels as I stated previously. Stick with it if you want to alleviate variables of complication and premature failures in the future.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:09 AM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I made over 600whp with stock f20 head with ap2 intake retainers and keeps with no issue what so ever for quite a while. I have since upgraded to full supertech valve train and it was honestly a waste of money. It made no difference.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll be fine with Supertech valves and stock springs and Ap2 retainers and locks. Save the money. However, if you plan for more power later, it would save you the money and time if you do it now. We have all instock.