Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

maranelloboy05 GPW Build - The Final S

Old 10-28-2021, 12:27 PM

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts
Default maranelloboy05 GPW Build - The Final S

Kind of an odd build thread since I bought this car almost 5 years ago but figured why not, I'd like to document this one. I'm now on my 3rd S and I've always told myself this will be the final one, no more selling allowed. As for my inspiration its going to be based on the ultimate drivers car and built using all my favorite parts from past S2000s.

1st S: 2006 LBP - Totaled within 6 months of ownership (oops). Swift SpecR springs were the only mod.

2nd S: 2007 NFR - Now here is where I learned the love of modifying cars. Started out with a set of Swift SpecR springs, HKS dual, K&N FIPK. From there I went with PSS9s with 9k springs and a set of gunmetal (later white) TE37s. Really loved this first incarnation of the car.

From there I developed an unhealthy love of Spoon.

OEM CR Lip/OEM CR Wing & Trunk - Spoon N1 Exhaust - Spoon CR93 Wheels - Spoon Full Spec Dampers - Spoon Rigid Collars - Spoon Zero Bump Steer - Spoon Solid Steering Rack Bushings - Spoon Strut Bar & ETD - Spoon Valve Cover - Spoon Intake - Spoon Coil Cover
All legit bought used or direct from GoTuning.

Unfortunately from there I got a pretty serious ticket running around in the mountains and sold the car in order to get away with a slap on the wrist. Bought a GTI and went through a couple Miata but knew I'd be back.

January 2017 and I decide I need another S. Found a steal of a car in Florida. 2007 GPW over Black/Red, fully stock, nice condition with about 76k on it if I remember right. Aside from my LBP I also always wanted a GPW with the split Black/Red interior so had to go for it. Picked it up in Miami and drove it home and unfortunately not quite as nice as I thought. No VSA, crappy alarm job meant no electric locks and it needed a good detail and tires, but it was still at steal at $16k.

From there I did a spacer kit 15mm fronts, 20mm rears. Swift SpecR springs (seeing a theme?), AP2 lip and a UK mod exhaust and honestly other than maintenance I haven't touched it since. Unfortunately found when replacing the slave cylinder that the clutch was gone. Went to AP1 slave and got immediate slippage so had to do the clutch. Replaced an idler pulley, diff mounts and a rear ball joint and honestly thats all I did to the car through August 2021.

Old 10-28-2021, 12:39 PM

In August 2021, I honestly couldn't tell you why, I got an itch. I've loved every S I've had but I honestly didn't drive this one much at all anymore. For god only knows what reason I bought a K&N FIPK off Amazon and when I got home from a vacation I got to work. It lit a fire though, the noise, the throttle response, it made the S special to me again, couldn't believe it. I decided then and there I'd build my ultimate S2000. All the parts I've loved on past cars and all the parts I've always wanted. Ordered my favorite exhaust the HKS dual and got some interior things sorted out and here's where we sit today:

K&N FIPK
HKS Dual Exhaust
Spoon Rearview Mirror (forgot I picked this up in Tokyo 2018 and actually got to meet Ichishima-san as he was heading out the door, fangirl moment for me)
OEM Ultimate Edition Shift Knob (CR knob in red, NOT the CTR knob)
Red Stitch Shfit Boot
CR Radio Door
Swift SpecR Springs
Windshield Tape Removed
OEM Spoiler
Black Plastidipped AP2V2

OEM AP2 Lip
CR Sidemarkers
Berk HFC
J's Bronze Oil Cap

The biggest difference I've made in the past couple months is finally fixing some of the little oddities with the car. Replaced the steering angle sensor to get the VSA working. Spent an afternoon fixing a complete hack job of an alarm install and I've got working remotes again. Replaced the head unit with a bluetooth model with rear usb. I can finally close my radio door and listen to music. Those little things have been an absolute godsend to improvement of the car.

Old 10-28-2021, 12:52 PM

Where to from here. I'm going to break this up into short term and long term.

Short Term: Need to sort the suspension, I've got some toe wear, some knocking and some alignment issues to sort out. The absolute best thing is I found another set of Spoon Full Spec coilovers that are coming from Australia for a great price, due to covid I'm guessing thats going to be a December or January install.

K&N FIPK
HKS Dual Exhaust
J's Front Strut Bar & ETD (would have gone Spoon if you could still get the ETD)
Valve Cover Powdercoated Millennium Jade J's Valve Cover
Vision Technica CF Coil Cover
Chasing J's Engine Bay Bolts
Powdercoated AP2V2s in Satin Black and new RS4s
Spoon Rigid Steering Rack Bushings
Mugen Compliance Bushings
Mugen Rear Arm Bushing (rear camber bolts have been seized for years)
Spoon Full Spec Coilovers Arvou Junior Spec Coilovers
Spoon Mirrors
Spoon Rear Tie Bar
Powdercoated AP2V2s in Satin Black and new RT660s

Would also like to sort out Spoon or J's zero bump steer kits in the spring, haven't decided which way to go there yet. I'd also like to go back to Winmax W2 brake pads if I can justify the cost in the next few months, I've got an almost new set of StopTechs right now so that might wait.

Long Term:

Here is where all the dream parts come in. I don't have this fully realized yet but the ones I know for sure are below. From there who knows.

Amuse R1 Front Bumper
ASM 04 Rear for Dual Exhaust
Gunmetal TE37 (loved my 7.5/8.5 +40 set) but could also see going to CE28s
Mugen Hood
Mugen Wing
Not sure yet on Sway Bars (Had CR on my NFR and was happy there)
Not sure yet on brakes (haven't touched them on previous cars)
J's/Spoon Offset Balljoints if I decide I need the camber
OEM Hardtop (wayyyyyyy down on the list, this would be a winter only thing and for the cost I doubt I'd pull the trigger anytime soon)

The other thing I've always wanted is a blue softtop, but for that I'd need to fully change the interior. I have considered doing the dark tan seats and carpets with the blue top but I'm not sure that's a direction I'd still consider going.
Old 11-07-2021, 02:14 PM

Slight change of plans. Not easy finding 06-09 valve covers but got a great deal on this J's cover and couldn't resist.

Old 11-17-2021, 05:13 AM

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

The J's cover looks sweet in that GPW bay.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by rush2redline
The J's cover looks sweet in that GPW bay.
Super happy I went that route, color looks amazing inperson.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:14 AM

Wheels are back and look awesome. All four lower control arms are cut out and of course my coilovers are in USPS purgatory. I also picked up a EP3 wheel.

Old 11-19-2021, 08:04 AM

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

looks good. Sometimes I wish I had bought a 07 GPW brand new since I was about to back in the day and ended up buying my 02 and saving $15k.. when I wanted to get back into an S2000 I wanted a GPW Ap2 but the rising cost is ridiculous and the best deal I found was actually my exact same previous 02 Suzuka S2k so here we are lol. sometimes we're just meant to have 1 color of a car
Old 11-20-2021, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuka_Joe
looks good. Sometimes I wish I had bought a 07 GPW brand new since I was about to back in the day and ended up buying my 02 and saving $15k.. when I wanted to get back into an S2000 I wanted a GPW Ap2 but the rising cost is ridiculous and the best deal I found was actually my exact same previous 02 Suzuka S2k so here we are lol. sometimes we're just meant to have 1 color of a car
This is my favorite combo beside Laguna Blue Pearl. That said when it came time to get this one I kinda wanted something other than the all black interior so here we are.

In other news, coilovers have arrived!!!!! Adjustments are pretty seized so soaking in vinegar for the night, theyre really not bad other than some surface rust so I dont forsee any big issues. Lower arms are at the shop getting new bushings and all goes back together this week. J's strut bar and Vision Technica Sport CF coil cover show up Monday barring any more shipping delays.

Old 12-06-2021, 05:58 AM

Shes back on the ground, been a long month or so! Still need to do some very slight ride height tweaks and then an alignment but feels good to have it back running and driving.

All 4 LCAs cut out and bushings replaced.
Spoon Full Spec Dampers Installed
Spoon Solid Steering Rack Bushings Installed
Wheels Powdercoated with new RS4s
J's Valve Cover, Oil Cap, Rad Cap, Strut Bar, ETD
Vision Technica Sports CF Coil Cover w/ Chasing J's Valve Cover, Strut and Coil Cover Nuts and Bolts
New Inner/Outer Tie Rods

The following users liked this post:
freddydela (01-09-2022)

Quick Reply: maranelloboy05 GPW Build - The Final S