S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Forced Induction (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/)
-   -   EWG Spring Pressure Before Tune? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/ewg-spring-pressure-before-tune-1180640/)

ryiin2 01-02-2018 12:40 PM

EWG Spring Pressure Before Tune?

Hi my greddy turbo kit's manifold cracked so I ordered a replacement from Pang @ Pfab, but I opted for the externally gated replacement he offers. And I bought my 38mm Tial EWG but have a question-- Before I get the car tuned what spring pressure should I set my EWG to be? Something really low? Or should it be around the ballpark PSI that I expect the tuner to tune it to? I don't have a boost controller so would the tuner need to manually change the springs as he messes around with different levels of boost?

Thank you!

Charper732 01-02-2018 05:38 PM

Boost controllers are cheap and changing the WG spring is a PITA..and its not gonna happen when its hot. Just buy a boost controller and be done with it. I've got a spare AEM 3 port if youre interested. Plus you get the added bonus of faster spool up and variable boost levels...all done electronically

ryiin2 01-02-2018 06:04 PM

Gotcha! So that is what they would have to do if I didn't have a boost controller? How does a boost controller increase spool speed? Also I'm running Emanage if that makes any difference not an aem standalone.

RacerXI 01-02-2018 06:22 PM

EWG pressure is controlled via a spring. As boost builds the spring gradually opens at it's rated psi. This can tend to make a car spool slow. A boost controller will hold the pressure behind it and almost spring the pressure loading the valve. The sealed system created by the boost controller typically aids spool.

ryiin2 01-02-2018 06:54 PM

Which kind of boost controller should I get?

AP1Chief 01-03-2018 05:53 AM

Are you tuning on AEM EMS? Or some kind of of EMS so you can control it?

If you are, I strongly suggest a MAC valve to control boost.

I also offer s2ki members well priced E tunes if you are on AEM EMS v1/v2 or flashpro/Kpro

Charper732 01-03-2018 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by ryiin2 (Post 24402544)
Gotcha! So that is what they would have to do if I didn't have a boost controller? How does a boost controller increase spool speed? Also I'm running Emanage if that makes any difference not an aem standalone.

If you are using Emanage you'll need a controller to control the solenoid as I believe the Emanage cannot do that.

ryiin2 01-03-2018 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Charper732 (Post 24402716)
If you are using Emanage you'll need a controller to control the solenoid as I believe the Emanage cannot do that.

So something like aem tru boost? Sorry for the silly questions.

Originally Posted by AP1Chief (Post 24402697)
Are you tuning on AEM EMS? Or some kind of of EMS so you can control it?

If you are, I strongly suggest a MAC valve to control boost.

I also offer s2ki members well priced E tunes if you are on AEM EMS v1/v2 or flashpro/Kpro

I'm on the Greddy Emanage (piggyback), so I'm not sure what my options are because of that. I THINK that greddy offered a pressure sensor that would read >10psi and I'm even more unsure about boost controllers. Thanks for the help though.

Charper732 01-03-2018 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by ryiin2 (Post 24402841)
So something like aem tru boost? Sorry for the silly questions.

I personally haven't used aem tru boost as I am on infinity, but they describe it as allowing for quick spool. After looking at the user guide it looks like it has a decent amount of adjustability. It show needing an AEM pressure sensor(which comes with the kit) as well as going off the map sensor...that makes zero sense. lol I guess AEM just wants more money

AP1Chief 01-04-2018 06:19 AM

If your not using a EBC than you can just throw a 8-10 lb spring in and tune it on that. depends on goals, and fuel.

I highly suggest a EMS though. You can find V1 used cheap these days.