S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Full-Race EFR turbo S2000 tuned on AEM Infinity 6

Old 01-17-2017, 11:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Full-Race EFR turbo S2000 tuned on AEM Infinity 6

Now that the new plug and play Infinity 6 harness is available for the AP1 S2000 a lot of people are making the switch to the Infinity ems. I recently tuned this Full-Race 7064 internal waste gate EFR S2000 on the Infinity with full flex fuel support and figured it might be of some interest others considering the Infinity or adding flex fuel. For the full article check out the blog for with tips and tricks including closed loop individual cylinder knock control. AEM Infinity s2000 tuning explained with Full-Race efr turbo.
**another S2000 article was recently posted, this time a high compression stroked F20 running AEM series 2 and making the switch from pump gas to E85
http://brewedmotorsports.com/aem-e85-etune-update/

Parts list for this AP1 Honda S2000 462 Horse Power at the flywheel (max HP with only 15psi do to internal WG):
  • Stage 3 long block (stock sleeves, forged pistons/rods ACL bearings)
  • Full-Race EFR turbo kit with 7064 efr twin scroll internal waste gate (external gate is always recommended for F series engines)
  • Injector Dynamics 1300cc Injectors
  • AEM E85/Ethanol Fuel pump
  • AEM Fuel pressure regulator
  • AEM Infinity 6 ems & AEM s2000 plug and play harness with: oil, fuel pressure/temp sensors, AEM boost solenoid, o2 sensor
  • Flex Fuel (safely run any blend of gasoline and Ethanol or E85)
  • AEM CANbus gauges (displays ALL engine sensors with Peak/memory functions)
  • 3” turbo back exhaust
  • 255/35/18 rear tire 225/40/18 front tire
Wiring in the extra pressure/temp sensors to the supplied 12 pin DTM acc. harness connector is easy and makes for a clean install. Adding a fuel pressure, oil pressure, oil temp, flex fuel sensor and wide band o2 allow the Infinity ems and tuner to closely monitor and tune fail safe options for oil pressure, fuel pressure and lean protection. These fail safe options can easily save an engine during a mechanical failure such as a bad fuel pump or oil pump. Alternatively you do not “need” to install any of these extra sensors if you don’t want. You can run the engine on the Infinity with all stock Honda sensors however I would highly recommend at least using a 4.2lsu wide band o2 sensor.

AEM infinity s2000 with full race efr turbo kit
Turbo Honda engines with long tube headers/down pipes have a TON of exhaust surface area which can easily melt vacuum lines, wiring etc. To avoid an engine fires or damaged wiring I turn to the tried and true Velocity Element fire sleeve. Available in a multitude of sizes this stuff is perfect for covering engine plumbing and wiring and super affordable. Don’t be a rooky, using fire sleeve is KEY to ensuring all plumbing and wiring stays safe from the exhaust heat. Of course with the S2000 the battery and fuse box are also in need of heat protection so I whipped up a nice aluminum heat shield and covered it with the VE gold foil heat reflective tape.

With the pump gas/gasoline tuning completed I moved onto the Ethanol aka E85 and flex fuel blends. A few pulls later and the E85 portion of the tuning was completed resulting in 462hp at the flywheel, boost was set to 18psi but do to the internal waste gate would taper to 15psi by 7700rpm. *The internal waste gate is a big restriction here; I always highly recommend external waste gates like the Tial MVR 44mm whenever possible. This same turbo kit with an external waste gates will make well over 500hp at the same boost levels and provide much better boost control. After dialing in the E85 or 85% ethanol content fuel I started slowly blending in gasoline to reach different ethanol content to refine the “flex fuel” portion of the tune even further. The trick for tuning flex fuel is to first tune pure gasoline and then the highest % of ethanol you plan to run. From here you slowly blend the fuels and tune the “blend maps” accordingly, I also like to use a second VE map for further resolution when setting up flex fuel calibrations. While blending the ethanol fuels I will normally move in ~10% increments IE: after tuning for E85 I will add gasoline until I have E75 then log/tune followed by more gasoline to get to E65 and repeat until you are back to pure gasoline. This is normally a very time consuming processes but goes much faster when starting with a custom Flex Fuel base map thanks to the already tuned/tested tables. Only a fully tuned and tested “flex fuel” calibration will safely deliver all the power available based on ethanol content. The Infinity truly offers a high resolution tuning solution for flex fuel unlike many so called “flex fuel” compatible ecu’s that only offer a VERY limited amount of true flex fuel tuning/adjustments.

Little video to help explain how to take data logs for all you Etune guys out there!

Last edited by tunermt; 01-30-2020 at 05:11 PM. Reason: broken links
Old 01-17-2017, 11:53 AM

Forgot to post an engine bay shot of the car.
efr turbo s2000 on aem infinity ems
Old 01-17-2017, 02:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very interesting how you you find it compared to the series 2, I know it's a different way of tuning. I've heard its up there with mid range Motecs?.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think Borg Warner makes a 7076 turbo, do you mean 7064?
Old 01-17-2017, 07:15 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

yep 7064
Old 01-20-2017, 10:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Could have also meant 7670, but power seems low for a 7670.

Nice to see another internal gate EFR.

EDIT - Both FORGE and TurboSmart make a very nice internal gate actuator that helps get rid of that boost taper, I ran into similar issues with mine, I kept getting taper, then if I cranked down on the actuator I'd get spikes due to shortening the gate stroke. TurboSmart and FORGE both eliminate the shortening the stroke issue to adjust boost. I'm right around 500 WHP on my 7670 with internal gate on Pump Gas.

Last edited by ninetysixyenko; 01-20-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:35 AM

The turbo does have a turbo smart actuator.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSAK
The turbo does have a turbo smart actuator.
Is it the 7064 or the 7670?
Old 01-22-2017, 01:25 PM

Old 01-23-2017, 10:21 AM

Sorry guys edited** 7064 EFR

Quick Reply: Full-Race EFR turbo S2000 tuned on AEM Infinity 6