S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Gm T56 swap

Old 06-30-2013, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gm T56 swap

Ok I know a lot of people have been following my long slow build but it's getting down to the end. So I resided to start this to show the full break down of my custom t56 swap into a s2000.
1st I'll get most question out of the way. No I didn't want to go v160 do to the over all crazy cost and it's crazy rebuild cost

Next yes it's going to bolt up to the f20\f22 c motors

So let's start with my trans it came from a 2000 trans am ls1 car standard t56 . There are a few different t56 that will work but I recommend calling Liberty gears to make sure they can face plate the transmission.
Next I took and had this trans tore down and shipped the 1-4th gears to liberty gears to have them " face plated " basically what that means is they cut off the stock synchronizers on the gears and weld on the plates that are the new engagement rings the reason for the is the crazy rpm our cars twist. The stock t56 trans hates anything over 7800 rpm. So with the face plating it will allow it to shift like butter at over 11k all day

Now while that was being done it was how the hell to I bolt this to the car? Adapter plate? New bell housing? What to do ?
I desided to call up gforce transmission and see what they could do since they helped my boy gabe out on his world record setting yellow bullet.

So gforce and I tossed around ideals for about a week and came up with takeing my stock s2000 trans apart useing the bell off it cutting it welding it to a plate that will bolt rite up to the t56 .
Now be4 any one goes WTF ? I will try to explain the best I can . The t56 has a great set up do to the removable / detachable bellhousing now with that we took the stock t56 bell off and tossed it. Net they measure distance of the input shaft and then all of their work that I have no idea how to do with the measurements. And came up with a plate that bolts rite to the face of the t56 and is welded to the cut and fabed stock s2000 bell.
Now what this does is alows US to use stock style clutch and stock starter aswell as flywheel so that eliminated a lot of headache.
So now we have the gears out of the way and the bell next is clutch this was so easy thanks to kings performance and Clutch Masters clutch
With my power and end goals I went twin disk for my set up each person can deside on that with there application.
So what happen with the clutch is its all the same as a stock s2000 clutch but the splines that the input shaft go in to so on that we used the standard GM CHEVY T56 SPLINES. Remember that if u go this way cause if not it can be a lot of lost money
So the clutch is done gears and bell now some people mite not think about this so when it clicked I was so happy when u look at the input shaft of the t56 beside the s2000 the pilots are different. So what we did to fix it and have less custom one off parts I called up good old gforce again and they told me they were going to cut off the t56 pilot tip and press on one the size of the s2000 stock pilot bearing . So that was done.

So I have coverd most the things about the trans but also gear ratios come into play t56 have a very high gear ratio. Due to the high torque low rpm cars they come from. So to mot buy a full custom gear set and sell both my nuts to pay for it I went with a way lowwer rear gear. I'm a 8.8 ford cobra diff just to let ya know. So to fig out what rear gear I needed I came across A gear ratio to speed to rpm calculator. Now bear in mind this is rough estimates nothing is set in stone . But I tossed in my tire height with rpm and rear gear ratio along with the t56 gear ratio and after about six different rear gear combinations I came up with the best set up.for my build.
It ended up being 4.88 rear gear with this and 26" tall tires I should trap a bit.over 153mph at 9200rpm.
Now remember this is all on paper not real world will know within 5weeks for sure.
But with this set up it should be like going to a 3.9 in a stock s2000 trans car
So there are a few bases left to cover
1 shifter location
2 drive shaft
So with shifter location with all of my measurements looks like it should come up with in a quarter inch of the stock s2000 shift your point now since the trans won't be in till mid week I'm not 100% but it should not need any cutting to shifter hole location: nor the tunnel
Now drive shaft is easy we got the yoke for the t56 and the nuckel for the 8.8 we will take those with the measurements for the length of the drive shaft to our local driveshaft shop and just have one built there

And with all of this I about forgot the trans mount it will be custom and should bolt it stock trans mount bolt holes now I have a ton of pics so it will take a while to.post them all. But we hope to.have this all.done within the next 3-4 weeks and I will keep this up dated and fill free to ask all the questions you like I'll help anyone I can

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-30-2013, 07:52 AM

U will need to hammer the tunnel back in 2-3 spots and cut the pass side mount on the body to make it fit..... Trust me I already have a t56 that uses the stock shifter hole in the tunnel, the reverse switch will hit, the trans will hit (all on pass side) and the cags unit will hit on the driver side..... Get a big ole sledge hammer and prepare to swing big ......
Old 06-30-2013, 07:55 AM

sounds awesome man cant wait for pics
Old 06-30-2013, 08:01 AM

if you're cutting off the synchros with the faceplating, does that mean that rev matching/double clutching needs to be done on each and every downshift?
Old 06-30-2013, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by s2kt3
U will need to hammer the tunnel back in 2-3 spots and cut the pass side mount on the body to make it fit..... Trust me I already have a t56 that uses the stock shifter hole in the tunnel, the reverse switch will hit, the trans will hit (all on pass side) and the cags unit will hit on the driver side..... Get a big ole sledge hammer and prepare to swing big ......
If that is the case so be it but we will try ever way to do it with out having to beat on the car and the shop its at we can fab what ever is needed

Old 06-30-2013, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by petawabit
if you're cutting off the synchros with the faceplating, does that mean that rev matching/double clutching needs to be done on each and every downshift?
Rev matching is ideal but I don't think it is a must on them but I have always rev matched to save on unneeded abuse on parts

Old 06-30-2013, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by passmans2kny
sounds awesome man cant wait for pics
About to post this tapatalk is a bishhhh haha

Old 06-30-2013, 08:21 AM

The t 56 the day I got it
The s2000 bell with adapter plate welded on to it
This is it bolted up and lined up beside a stock s2000 trans at gforce input shaft work
Gears face plated also had them cryo treated
Twin disk
Sent from my VS870 4G using
Starting the assembly on the new gears Tapatalk 2
Old 06-30-2013, 08:28 AM

Rough break down on the price
1000.00 stock t56
My bell of stock trans free
Custom bell and input shaft mod and shipping 670.00
Twin disk clutch 1700.00
Faceplate cryo treating and shipping 1004.05
All work on t56 440.00
So
4814.05 is grand total on this set up a good bit can be saved if u stay single disk clutch and u can use the one u have if u order new disk with gm splines

Old 06-30-2013, 08:30 AM

Liberty's invoice will post outhers when I dig them out

Quick Reply: Gm T56 swap