S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Grams, AEM or Walbro Fuel Pump for SC Build - Which is Preferred?

Old 11-01-2018, 10:14 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Exactly what riceball777 said. The stock wires simply don't cut it for any aftermarket pump. And the 255 is outdated technology. Just go with the walbro 450 or 525 WITH the sos rewire kit. The last thing you want is for your wires to melt inside the tank and potentially spark and your entire car go up into flames. Go on their website scienceofspeed.com and look it up its not that much. And i know where you're coming from about the wiring ordeal. I felt the exact same way but the kit comes with very detailed instructions along with pictures. Buy yourself a soldering gun and you're good to go.

Sales pitch: I have a used aem320 pump for sale. $60shipped. There's nothing wrong with it. Replaced it for a larger pump thats all. This pump primes loud when you turn your key on to ignition, but then operates just like the others, quiet.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm making 530whp right now with the AEM 320 and SOS rewire kit. I'm not sure why you're so against rewiring. It's not like you're wiring something complex like a Motec harness.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:48 PM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Thanks for the tips. Rewiring is something I only want to consider as a last resort. How much are we looking at for the rewiring kit from SOS? Why is the 255 Walbro so loud and annoying when the higher flow rate models are quiet? Will I hear it when driving slow and fast? I'm all for the 450 if it would run on stock wiring but I suppose if the rewiring kit is inexpensive and is 'plug 'n play' then I'll go for it.
like i said rewiring of the pump should be done with any after market high flowing pump even with the walbro 255. The stock wires simply is not of a big enough size to supply to supply the pump with the power it needs. The sos wiring kit is cheep and is the best kit that is specially designed for the s2000. I have no idea why the walbro 255 is the only pump that is loud but it is loud and there is zero point is using this pump when there are much better options out there at almost the same cost. When driving fast you probable wont hear the 255 but when driving slow and at idle you will hear it.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:34 PM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Mijae007
Exactly what riceball777 said. The stock wires simply don't cut it for any aftermarket pump. And the 255 is outdated technology. Just go with the walbro 450 or 525 WITH the sos rewire kit. The last thing you want is for your wires to melt inside the tank and potentially spark and your entire car go up into flames. Go on their website scienceofspeed.com and look it up its not that much. And i know where you're coming from about the wiring ordeal. I felt the exact same way but the kit comes with very detailed instructions along with pictures. Buy yourself a soldering gun and you're good to go.

Sales pitch: I have a used aem320 pump for sale. $60shipped. There's nothing wrong with it. Replaced it for a larger pump thats all. This pump primes loud when you turn your key on to ignition, but then operates just like the others, quiet.
I definitely don't want that to happen. Does the AEM 320 need a special bracket or is it a drop in filter?
Old 11-01-2018, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by kumar75150
I'm making 530whp right now with the AEM 320 and SOS rewire kit. I'm not sure why you're so against rewiring. It's not like you're wiring something complex like a Motec harness.
Against it because I'd prefer plug 'n play, drop in and be done with it.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by riceball777
like i said rewiring of the pump should be done with any after market high flowing pump even with the walbro 255. The stock wires simply is not of a big enough size to supply to supply the pump with the power it needs. The sos wiring kit is cheep and is the best kit that is specially designed for the s2000. I have no idea why the walbro 255 is the only pump that is loud but it is loud and there is zero point is using this pump when there are much better options out there at almost the same cost. When driving fast you probable wont hear the 255 but when driving slow and at idle you will hear it.
I checked out the SOS site. The wiring kit is fairly cheap. If the 255 sounds as loud as you described and in those conditions then I'd rather go for one of the other sizes you mentioned.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ever thought about getting a surge tank? considerably more money, but prewired, don't have to get into the tank, will support more than you need, and has the added benefit of no cavitation.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by ninetysixyenko
Ever thought about getting a surge tank? considerably more money, but prewired, don't have to get into the tank, will support more than you need, and has the added benefit of no cavitation.
Can't say I have. It's not a problem to install an appropriate pump so I'll just go that route. Thanks for the suggestion though
Old 11-02-2018, 05:30 AM

Can I trust a "universal" pump?? Check this out: https://treperformance.com/i-2389963...fuel-pump.html
Old 11-02-2018, 06:49 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Against it because I'd prefer plug 'n play, drop in and be done with it.
No such thing. Out of the entire install fuel pumps require the rewire kit. Trust everyone here thats already been there done that its a good security to have. Plus it wont ever starve the pump of power causing it to dysfuntion. Like i said theres a member here whose wires and connector melted due to the heat that was generated by the stock wires...its not too crazy to think this problem couldve led to a small spark and fire in your fuel tank.
edit* you could use the 255 with stock lines and it would work but the technology in that pump is a bit dated. Its loud and doesnt leave you with any room to grow.
Can I trust a "universal" pump?? Check this out: https://treperformance.com/i-2389963...fuel-pump.html
Ap1 and ap2 have different part numbers. Make sure to get the right one for your MY.

Quick Reply: Grams, AEM or Walbro Fuel Pump for SC Build - Which is Preferred?