S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Grams, AEM or Walbro Fuel Pump for SC Build - Which is Preferred?

Old 11-07-2018, 09:25 PM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by flanders
ITB's are inside a big plastic box and my exhaust is one of the least loud aftermarket systems there is.
95dB track limits are no problem so yes it's definitely not crazy loud
Ah OK then your 255 is actually quiet
Old 11-07-2018, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by S2kys

Still new in the baggy. I dunno....like 50 bucks and a few for shipping I guess lol
Man, that is a good deal to pass up... what area are you in?
Old 11-08-2018, 12:22 AM

Received 613 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Man, that is a good deal to pass up... what area are you in?
CT, but I think I'm going to just end up using it lol....I really don't think this pump is as loud as it's made out to be.....not with so many shops standing behind it and it being more than enough for my power goals. 20/20 hindsight I might've opted to get the 450 as the price is similar (but double considering you need the SoS retainer), and I trust Walbro pumps. Buuuuttttt since I got the 255 I think I'm just going to stick with that as a simple drop-in and done solution that fits my exact needs. I have the SoS wiring kit regardless of which pump I end up going with.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:30 PM

NVM LOL; ordered an AEM 320. I was bored tonight and decided to run the walbro in a bucket....Yea it's pretty loud. The rest of my car will be too but if I can eliminate more noise I'll do so. Besides, a fuel pump job on this car isn't something I'll be wanting to do again any time soon, if ever.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle
NVM LOL; ordered an AEM 320. I was bored tonight and decided to run the walbro in a bucket....Yea it's pretty loud. The rest of my car will be too but if I can eliminate more noise I'll do so. Besides, a fuel pump job on this car isn't something I'll be wanting to do again any time soon, if ever.
U ran it in a bucket? How resourceful of you! When you say it was loud, like how loud?
Did you order the upgraded wiring for your AEM 320?
Yeah it isn't a chop and change quickly type of job. I might time it with my not too distant roof replacement... 2 birds.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:21 AM

U ran it in a bucket? How resourceful of you! When you say it was loud, like how loud?
Did you order the upgraded wiring for your AEM 320?
Yeah it isn't a chop and change quickly type of job. I might time it with my not too distant roof replacement... 2 birds.
It was pretty damn loud compared to other pumps I've heard run. Admittedly I haven't had experience with a 255 before this. In my STi I ran an Aeromotive Stealth 325, and I have a DW65c in my Civic Si; both very quiet, you can faintly hear them prime at startup, and then nothing once the cars are running. My Si is stock too, so there isn't much volume to overpower a fuel pump. Like others have said, the newer pump designs are turbine, I don't know exactly what the Walbro does but it's a couple times louder than the pumps I've owned. That's not saying it's super loud, and this test was done in a bucket, but with what minimal paneling separating you from the pump I'm sure it would still be audible.

Yeah I'll be running the upgraded wiring. I've had the kit for a while now; I was going to run it with my 255 just for peace of mind, but upon further reading here at higher draw levels on the Walbro it's still a good thing to have, so I'm glad I got it regardless. Repeating what Junky said earlier, for the price you can't really go wrong, and I don't want to do this job again. I was trying to hold out and use the 255, but after tonight's little experiment I'm glad I was able to give it a shot before it was in the car.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle
It was pretty damn loud compared to other pumps I've heard run. Admittedly I haven't had experience with a 255 before this. In my STi I ran an Aeromotive Stealth 325, and I have a DW65c in my Civic Si; both very quiet, you can faintly hear them prime at startup, and then nothing once the cars are running. My Si is stock too, so there isn't much volume to overpower a fuel pump. Like others have said, the newer pump designs are turbine, I don't know exactly what the Walbro does but it's a couple times louder than the pumps I've owned. That's not saying it's super loud, and this test was done in a bucket, but with what minimal paneling separating you from the pump I'm sure it would still be audible.

Yeah I'll be running the upgraded wiring. I've had the kit for a while now; I was going to run it with my 255 just for peace of mind, but upon further reading here at higher draw levels on the Walbro it's still a good thing to have, so I'm glad I got it regardless. Repeating what Junky said earlier, for the price you can't really go wrong, and I don't want to do this job again. I was trying to hold out and use the 255, but after tonight's little experiment I'm glad I was able to give it a shot before it was in the car.
Can't argue with that logic or your test then. Thank you for taking the initiative

I am wondering whether its okay to run the AEM 320 or any other higher flow pump BEFORE I actually install the blower? Basically my roof will probably be changed before the supercharger install and once the old roof is off that will be the best time to install the pump BUT will it be safe for AFR, etc if I run an aftermarket pump N/A on stock ECU settings...?
Old 11-22-2018, 04:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can run an aftermarket pump without a tune. Your fpr should keep the same fuel pressure anyways. I can't hear my Walbro over my exhaust anyways. And with the top down you definitely cannot hear it.

The only time you hear it is if you are in traffic with the top up and the radio off.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:53 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Just make sure you upgrade the wiring before using pumps like the AEM.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:57 AM

Can't argue with that logic or your test then. Thank you for taking the initiative

I am wondering whether its okay to run the AEM 320 or any other higher flow pump BEFORE I actually install the blower? Basically my roof will probably be changed before the supercharger install and once the old roof is off that will be the best time to install the pump BUT will it be safe for AFR, etc if I run an aftermarket pump N/A on stock ECU settings...?
Yeah you’ll be fine on the fuel pump; it’s larger injectors that you’ll need a tune for. And as flanders said upgrade the wiring, but I think you had all intentions of doing that anyway.

Quick Reply: Grams, AEM or Walbro Fuel Pump for SC Build - Which is Preferred?