S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Greddy E-manage feedback?

Old 09-07-2004, 12:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Greddy E-manage feedback?

I have been looking into getting myself an e-manage for my SC setup. I would love to go w/ AEM but i just think its an over kill pricewise for the amount of power im looking for. My limits are no more than 12psi( not that I will w/ a stock block). And I am just looking to get low to mid 3's rwhp.

I decided to call Greddy themselves and told them my plans and soon as i said Honda S2000, they said, " We do not recommend it, the tuning on this car can be difficult and not smooth"? And they recommended to go with a full blown ECU. I thought there were quite a few people on here running them w/ turbos and SC's. Of course a fully programmable ECU will always be better but I guess what i'd like to know is if this one is any good?

I'd like to get impressions and tuning experiences from the people that ran or are running this piggy-back ECU

thanks
Old 09-07-2004, 02:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The E-manage is a huge step up from the V-AFC type devices but still well short of the AEM EMS. Whether or not the E-manage will do the trick for you really depends on where you set the limit in terms of boost.

My personal opinion (and the one I'm currently living by) is that the E-manage is good to about 8lbs. At 8lbs with slightly larger injectors and a good FPR you can run a good A/F at peak and idle nicely as well. Any larger and you have to find a way of getting more fuel up top and retaining drivability down low.

I'm currently at 8lbs and was running nicely on the E-manage, but I have plans. So the first step was to install the AEM EMS. I have just completed that part and will shortly be looking at more boost.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:51 PM
Former Moderator

Received 287 Likes on 266 Posts

The e-manage can control injectors 150% larger than stock. 550's are the biggest available injectors that th e-manage can run. Most of the people at 12psi have bigger injectors than 550cc's. If you really want 12psi, Your going to need the EMS.

I'm pleased with the e-manage. The idle quality when cold is not as good as stock. The engine has to warm up for a few seconds before turning on the AC, or driving.

The AF#'s in boost are much safer, (12-12.5's) and the fuel pressure is much lower than using the FMU.

I didn't have very good luck using the e-manage to control ignition timing. It does not have any direct wiring to the crank position. It does manipulate timing by shifting the ignition coil output signals. When interpolating the Vortech timing retard to a e-manage timing map, I would get detonation. I had to more than double the timing retard to eliminate the detonation.

I didn't have any of these issue with the Vortech timing controller, which has been effective at preventing any detonation. The Vortech controller is built by Split Second, And does wire directly to the crank position sensors. It uses a PCM input shift, instead of a PCM output shift like the E-manage for timing control.

I did have to add a few additional degrees of retard, during winter to compensate for the oxygenated fuel.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:21 PM

There was quite a bit of debate about the '150% larger injectors' statement in the E-manage specs. By this ruling you could use 900cc injectors with E-manage (360 + (150% of 360)).

My take on it is that this is typical 'Engrish' translation and that the correct translation would be either '150% of original' or '50% larger than original'.

Also, the limitation is not a set limit but a practical one. You can use any injectors you like and enter their values in the Injector correction fields (within reason). But what this field is actually doing is altering the MAP value and hoping the ECU will react in a linear fashion (ie 10% less MAP equates to 10% less fuel). This is fairly accurate for the middle of the MAP map, but when you start getting into bigger deviations there is no guarantee the ECU will react as planned. So Greddy set a '150%' rule so that the correction factor is no less than 0.66. 550cc comes in at about 0.65 so is just below the limit of acceptability (although has proved to be OK).
Old 09-07-2004, 07:11 PM

1 Slows2k and Aus -ok so from what im getting from both of you guys the ECU will not handle anything more than 550c injectors.

2. slows2k- Since Greddy does not have a direct way to connect to the crank position, purchasing the timing harness is really a waste?

3. Slows2k and Aus-did you guys connect the e-manage to the vortech timing box? or did you scrap it? I am assuming not since you (slows2k) had to retard the timing a lot more to compensate for the detonation. did I hear you right?

4.Slow s2k and Aus-Given that the ECU cannot handle more than 550C injectors, I'd have to stay around 9psi or so. I was thinking between 9 and 10psi (if they make a 10psi pulley) Did 550 handle your injector needs? and what psi

5. slows2k- the idle quality when cold-What exactly do you mean? I wont have to work it like a carburetor, will I? . what happens when you turn on the AC when cold?

6. slows2k-the af runs safe w/ greddy-but you are saying fuel pressure is low, is it sufficient? did it handle your power needs

7. slows2k- what psi pulley are you running?
Old 09-07-2004, 08:42 PM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE=Venomous S,Sep 7 2004, 10:11 PM] 1
Old 09-07-2004, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Ultimate racing turbo kit comes with the emanage and 600cc injectors. Does this mean that it won't work well? Would I be better off not getting the emanage and get the ems for the turbo kit since it's using 600cc injectors?
Old 09-07-2004, 09:47 PM

I didn't have the problems low had with the timing. And I have a Comptech SC so didn't have the option of using the Vortech unit. I also have a feeling out fuel here is a higher grade because I never had an issue with detonation.

As mentioned, the UR kit has 600cc injectors. I'm not sure what the set up is but I suspect they use a lower pressure at idle or run pretty rich at partial throttle.

As I said, the 150% thing is a recomendation not a rule.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by S2k_fever,Sep 8 2004, 12:31 AM
The Ultimate racing turbo kit comes with the emanage and 600cc injectors. Does this mean that it won't work well? Would I be better off not getting the emanage and get the ems for the turbo kit since it's using 600cc injectors?
ok so as of right now, it will be 550C and e-manage and I think probably a 9psi although tempted w/ 10psi and see how it works out.

Your vortech box has been remapped by Split Second?, although i dont like the idea of messing w/ the Vortech timing box. I am also contemplating the idea of using both the vortech tming box and e-manage.

1. With e-manage you were pulling 10 degrees at 4k with what octane rating?

2. You said that coming to a stop the idle drops below 800 then stabilizes, but has never shut off when warm, correct? I mean my car always did that ever since I bought it but never shut off.

So the e-manage can be used on this vehicle, its not as scary as greddy made it to be to stay away from it.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Former Moderator

I remapped my timing controller with Split Second's R4 software. A lot of domestic tuners have the R4 software, It is only available from split second when you buy a controller from them.

The engine has never stalled warm. It has when I get impatient and want to move the car right after starting. The idle fluctuation is just greater than stock.

Expect no tech support from Greddy. They hardly provide tuners with any, let alone the end user.

Aus has higher octane fuel than we have, 95/98 versus my 92-93 octane.

Quick Reply: Greddy E-manage feedback?