S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Have YOU broken your OEM Differential?

Old 12-29-2011, 07:13 PM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Have YOU broken your OEM Differential?

I'm doing some research on what breaks the OEM differentials. Im curious as to what is the main culprit of the destruction. If YOU, not your buddy, have broken your differential please post your story, pictures certainly help. I do not want to hear stories about broken axles or broken drive shafts....strictly the OEM differential.

So far, I am understanding that the factory caps are to blame in the 00-03 Differentials. Then in 04 Honda beefed up the carrier along with the caps, however it is still considered a fragile differential. CT-Engineering/COMPTECH sells an upgraded carrier and cap kit, but I have yet to find info on what exactly that kit includes. Puddymod does alot of things that I will not get into. The trend points to the cap breaking, then the ring and pinion gear destroy each other.

In your post, please include Model year of differential, approx miles, what size tires you had on the rear, and the type of driving you do (grandma style, medium, I hit 8/9K everyday, I drop the clutch at every light)

Broken cap example 1:
Old 12-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have broken two differentials.

The first was a Comptech reinforced one. Sheared a tooth off the pinion gear.

Second was a stock diff. Also broke the pinion gear.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does being lowered affects the stress on diff?
Old 12-29-2011, 10:37 PM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

my brother broke his diff on his 2001 s2000. His car was bone stock with 140,000 miles. The diff cap broke off then the ring and pinion gear killed each other. I believe a big facter was most of his diff months were old and broken.

i myself have 100,000 on my s2000 10k being boosted with about 400whp with many many auto cross launches and my diff is still fine
Old 12-30-2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by CKit
I have broken two differentials.

The first was a Comptech reinforced one. Sheared a tooth off the pinion gear.

Second was a stock diff. Also broke the pinion gear.
Thank you for your input. Were the differentials both high mileage? AP1 or AP2?

Originally Posted by miguel329
Does being lowered affects the stress on diff?
Im sorry but I did not create this thread to discuss anything other than personal experience with breaking differentials. Please do an advanced search on your question.

Originally Posted by riceball777
my brother broke his diff on his 2001 s2000. His car was bone stock with 140,000 miles. The diff cap broke off then the ring and pinion gear killed each other. I believe a big facter was most of his diff months were old and broken.

i myself have 100,000 on my s2000 10k being boosted with about 400whp with many many auto cross launches and my diff is still fine
Thank you for your input. Would you say your brother was an aggressive driver which would include high RPM launches? Im glad to hear your differential is fine, I myself have been fine for 45,000 miles of heavy abuse ranging over 4 years. I have had between 300whp and 425whp throughout those years on a SOS kit.

a few months ago, maybe a year, there was a post by a member about his broken differential. He posted a picture of a broken differential where the entire carrier was split in half. Does anyone recall who posted that, or a link to the thead?
Old 12-30-2011, 04:32 AM

I also have been through 2 differentials the first about 6 months after purchasing the car with 38000 miles pulled it out and pulled it apart to find 2 pinion gear teeth sheared off and 3 ring gear teeth sheared I looked into my carrier assembly and found that the "LSD" was actually jamming under load probably due to metal shavings being in the diff. My second diff was an AP2 diff. With 22000 miles and also blown with in 6 months but I think the stage 3 6puck clutch had something to do with that one but also looked into that one as well and noticed 4 pinion teeth gone and the ring was just chewed to shit. So now sense I think that my issue was the carriers I purchased a quaife carrier and had my OEM ring and pinion kryo treated and had a local shop in Tacoma WA put it together to get the clearance right but bought all new seals bearings thrust washer. I haven't really beat this one at all cause I'm a bit scared being that I have been through 2 of them. The one I'm using now has seen nothing but boost but no launches one clutch kick haha and minor spiritual driving.

I drive an AP1 2001
1st Diff. Was original broke at about 44-45000
2nd Diff. Was out of an 05 with 22000 miles

I would post picks but this is all being done from my iPhone and don't know how sorry :/
You can look me up on Facebook there is a few pics from my second diff
Old 12-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by riceball777
I think "what kind of tire" will play a big part of this. We were launching on 315/30/18 rear Hoosier A6s. The "second" diff (OEM) only lasted 6 months.

I am of the opinion that the diff and transmission are two of the weak points that will need replacing on a motorsport-used FI S2000. Especially since the diffs often break with stock S2000 ProSolo launches and the trannies lose gears with NA engines when road raced.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed just for results.

<--knocks on wood as i havent become part of the fubar'd diff club.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:31 AM

Thanks for the info. I guess im lucky, i havnt had any trans issues and i drag race, road race, and pretty much beat the hell out of my car ever time i drive it...

Sent from my Android Phone
The following users liked this post:
MARK AUS S2K (09-26-2018)
Old 01-01-2012, 06:23 AM

I'm at about 425 whp. Broke my diff mid pull in 3rd at about 6.5k rpm. That's my max torque point so no surprise to me. But the previous night I was slamming gears due to racing this beefed camaro and a modded sti, so I think it was just a matter of time. This was 2 weeks after my dyno for my turbo setup, and the problem was my pinion was shaved on certain teeth more on some than others.

Quick Reply: Have YOU broken your OEM Differential?