S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Have YOU broken your OEM Differential?

Old 01-01-2012, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

car: 2003 NFR
Mileage: 77000
Diff count: 6
mods: I/H/E
Diff 1-4 cracked the cap
Reason diff 1: power breaking
reason diff 2-4: drifting- clutch kick
Diff 5: Destroyed Ring gear
Reason diff 5: possibly out of balance or improper tolerances
Diff 6: AP2 diff Still running
Old 01-01-2012, 09:38 AM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

Wow. Plenty of differentials for you haha! Thanks for the input.

Keep the stories coming everyone

Sent from my Android Phone
Old 01-01-2012, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The split in half case was LJ at Fullblown it was a third gear pull from what I remember.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RAIN H8R
Thanks for the info. I guess im lucky, i havnt had any trans issues and i drag race, road race, and pretty much beat the hell out of my car ever time i drive it...

You're supercharged instead of turbo (less torque) and on relatively mild street tires...

I'd wager you wouldn't be so fortunate with grippier rubber or more torque to the drivetrain....
Old 01-01-2012, 03:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit
Originally Posted by RAIN H8R' timestamp='1325424663' post='21277043
Thanks for the info. I guess im lucky, i havnt had any trans issues and i drag race, road race, and pretty much beat the hell out of my car ever time i drive it...

You're supercharged instead of turbo (less torque) and on relatively mild street tires...

I'd wager you wouldn't be so fortunate with grippier rubber or more torque to the drivetrain....

I'm just surprised his drivetrain has withstood the launches.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by camuman
Originally Posted by CKit' timestamp='1325463881' post='21277869
[quote name='RAIN H8R' timestamp='1325424663' post='21277043']

I'm just surprised his drivetrain has withstood the launches.
[/quote]

True, I did break the pinion gears late last year. I bought a new set and the guy I'm working with on modifying my differential put it back together for me.

Im starting to think that the end caps are getting pushed away from each other, resulting in movement of the gears, which then results in either broken pinions or broken caps.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

my first diff busted just turning right at a stop sign. when I pulled it apart every tooth on the pinion had a crack coming from the center of the gear. 3 teeth came off the pinion and a few off the ring gear. I'm sure it had already been beat and just decided to let go there. nothing crazy.

the 2nd one I blew in to pieces on a WOT 2-3 shift, Had some broken teeth and a cracked bearing cap.

The third was a 4.77 rear... blew the bearing caps in 1/2. Mild launch crossing a busy highway at a stop sign followed by a wot 1-2 shift. Gear looked fine, both caps were broken.

Switched to a ford rear end so no more worries
Old 01-01-2012, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by wadzii
my first diff busted just turning right at a stop sign. when I pulled it apart every tooth on the pinion had a crack coming from the center of the gear. 3 teeth came off the pinion and a few off the ring gear. I'm sure it had already been beat and just decided to let go there. nothing crazy.

the 2nd one I blew in to pieces on a WOT 2-3 shift, Had some broken teeth and a cracked bearing cap.

The third was a 4.77 rear... blew the bearing caps in 1/2. Mild launch crossing a busy highway at a stop sign followed by a wot 1-2 shift. Gear looked fine, both caps were broken.

Switched to a ford rear end so no more worries
Thanks for the info. Im happy to hear so far that the issues are the same.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RAIN H8R
Im starting to think that the end caps are getting pushed away from each other, resulting in movement of the gears, which then results in either broken pinions or broken caps.
But remember, even with the Comptech modified housing (caps), I still sheared off a pinion tooth. So there are multiple weak points / failure points that will crop up in the factory unit.

You can see by design, with the helical teeth, they're just not designed to hold a whole lot of torque / shock.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by CKit
Originally Posted by RAIN H8R' timestamp='1325466944' post='21277917
But remember, even with the Comptech modified housing (caps), I still sheared off a pinion tooth. So there are multiple weak points / failure points that will crop up in the factory unit.

You can see by design, with the helical teeth, they're just not designed to hold a whole lot of torque / shock.
Yeah your right. Ill speak with my drive train guy tomorrow about some Ideas rolling around in my head.

Quick Reply: Have YOU broken your OEM Differential?