S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Forced Induction (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/)
-   -   INSANESHAFTS AXLE REVIEW - And New 1/4 Mile PB! (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/insaneshafts-axle-review-new-1-4-mile-pb-1171054/)

LostMarine 04-03-2017 08:59 AM

INSANESHAFTS AXLE REVIEW - And New 1/4 Mile PB!

You guys can follow most of my build here:

I snapped a 3.9 DSS in North Carolina back in January. Not really wanting to shell out $500 for a new 31 spine diff, and $1800+ for the DSS 1000hp rated kit, I called and spoke to Mike at InsaneShafts. I told him my current setup and future plans, we both agreed long term, I need the 1000 rated kit no matter what, and he offers in it a 28 spline, BUT it was a few weeks lead time to build it. He did however have a 28 spline 600hp rated kit ready to ship.

Being that I just wanted the car back on the road ASAP for roll racing, I opted for that kit, was shipped the next day. Mike said, he has a warranty on the axles, so go ahead and drag race if I want, lets see what they can really take.

As for the axles differences, DSS has an aftermarket wheel hub required for their axles, whereas the IS kit required stock honda hubs. Luckily I had a new set I never got around to installing in the garage, pushed out the DSS hubs and pressed in OEM Honda hubs.

These things took a beating yesterday and held tough. I made about 6 passes, each getting faster as we were roadtuning for the new FB dual 340 fuel pumps. Final run was 1.6 60', and powered to a 10.1@143mph. Car can do more, but I called it a day as my wideband decided to crap out. I knew we were good because im still running too rich on E85 (10.2AFR) My 60-130 time on this run was a 5.7, which I believe is the fastest known, other than carey bales car, so thats a plus :)

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...8ae07eabe9.jpg

Ill post a video as it comes up, but if your looking for a less expensive and quality axles, InsaneShafts gets my vote

**********Update************
If your not local to IS, I would just opt for a DSS set. Its been 2 weeks with little to no contact about their "warrantied" shafts. It took 1 week for any sort of response back in which they asked for a pic of broken axle, then it took 3 more days for them to tell me they wont send a new shaft without the broken one being returned. So im not too pleased

Video:

JUSTINTHECOASTIE 04-03-2017 10:28 AM

Awesome. I've been waiting awhile now to hear/read a review of these axles. How to they handle with normal driving conditions? Any vibrations or non stock like qurks? Great review.

StocS2k 04-03-2017 10:28 AM

Awesome!

What other rearend mods you running

Spoolin 04-03-2017 10:45 AM

Nice! So Insane makes a 1000 whp axle on a 28 spline? Does that mean we won't need to change out the hubs? That's what I don't like about DSS. I have their 600 axles and have been hoping/waiting something else would come along that didn't require changing out the hubs.

Also, what suspension and fueling you using?

Mijae007 04-03-2017 12:26 PM

Wow, great times. 1.6 thats a really hard launch.

LostMarine 04-03-2017 05:16 PM

Thanks guys, Now that im happy with the MPH, im going back to the track weds and hope to run a 9 before i get booted. Wideband will be back in tomorrow, Derek is gonna bump the 2step up 500 more rpm and I told him to give me some more boost. I think Im still under or just at 30, so there is still room to grow. As well as the fact im a shitty driver and improving on shift times

No noticeable road noise with the shafts, I did swap to the innovative 95a diff mounts while I was back there and i think that is transferring sound, as well as the usual PPG gear whine.

Im on Omega/ Ignite E85, i think -8 dash lines, 2 Fullblown 340 pumps, suspension is BmaxII coilovers set at full stiff. Gonna go to the drag coils when i get a chance. Full stiff isnt good for launches, but I was fighting the car to stay straight at speed for forever and that was the only way to correct it, so thats how its staying. I also have the Kings Performance Anti-Rollbar

My driveline is currently PPG gears, FB 8.8 rear with 3.90 gearing, and IS 600 axles. They use OEM honda hubs. I believe the 1000 kit does as well, i would call/email to confirm. Honestly, Just run the 600 kit till you break them, get them warrantied, and then if need be, sell them off and upgrade. I mean, no point in throwing $$ at until you have to. For me its sort of like insurance to break a shaft before i pop the stock trans case.

Spoolin 04-03-2017 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by LostMarine (Post 24181790)
Thanks guys, Now that im happy with the MPH, im going back to the track weds and hope to run a 9 before i get booted. Wideband will be back in tomorrow, Derek is gonna bump the 2step up 500 more rpm and I told him to give me some more boost. I think Im still under or just at 30, so there is still room to grow. As well as the fact im a shitty driver and improving on shift times

No noticeable road noise with the shafts, I did swap to the innovative 95a diff mounts while I was back there and i think that is transferring sound, as well as the usual PPG gear whine.

Im on Omega/ Ignite E85, i think -8 dash lines, 2 Fullblown 340 pumps, suspension is BmaxII coilovers set at full stiff, and the right rear is leaking. Gonna go to the drag coils when i get a chance. Full stiff isnt good for launches, but I was fighting the car to stay straight at speed for forever and that was the only way to correct it, so thats how its staying. I also have the Kings Performance Anti-Rollbar

My driveline is currently PPG gears, FB 8.8 rear with 3.90 gearing, and IS 600 axles. They use OEM honda hubs. I believe the 1000 kit does as well, i would call/email to confirm. Honestly, Just run the 600 kit till you break them, get them warrantied, and then if need be, sell them off and upgrade. I mean, no point in throwing $$ at until you have to. For me its sort of like insurance to break a shaft before i pop the stock trans case.

Good advice on the DSS axles for now, that's what I'll do. Have you looked into the Stance drag coils? I was checking them out but still don't know if they are proven. Are BmaxII coilovers pretty decent? Can't find any info on them. Trying to figure out what will be best for me and was also looking at the KW Clubsport but they are pricey. I'll be doing aggressive street driving/roll racing (hitting twisties at times with the boost down) and also hitting the 1/4 and 1/2 miles events. Looking to be around 1000 whp and hoping my FB dual setup will get me close without having to go surge tank or something.

umair 04-03-2017 07:59 PM

Very nice times! You definitely have a 9 second pass in the future. Are you still at 750whp? Did the walbro max out on you?

staylor725 04-04-2017 04:48 AM

Very impressive times! Do your 3.9 gears whine? I have the richman 3.89 and it whines on deceleration.

volcomboy390 04-04-2017 08:54 AM

I have the same axles and they are holding up but I do have a vibration. I installed these because my stock axles with about 75k on them were starting to shake pretty bad.... after installing the dss 600whp axles the vibration was better but did not go away.

Could be my puddy mod stage 1.5 or a wheel bearing..., just wanted to share my experience for others looking into these. With the warranty I wouldn't hesitate to buy them. I picked these up from Mike personally at his shop.

Also so my car only makes about 360whp CTSC