S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Forced Induction (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/)
-   -   Interesting turbo location (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/interesting-turbo-location-266126/)

chris_barry 02-03-2005 03:43 AM

Interesting turbo location

Turbo installation

Wonder where they are going to put the intercooler.

Interesting location of the turbo. An earlier thread dicussed this type of installation. Its the first time I've seen pics of an installation.

Speedracer

skittzomaniac 02-03-2005 04:10 AM

i've seen that before on other cars. with pipes that long, seems like a recipe for a pressure drop on the cold side, and a serious loss of spool time on the hot side.

xviper 02-03-2005 08:12 AM

We have a F.I. forum now. Moving there.

Honda_mann 02-03-2005 01:48 PM

i saw that car at SEMA

JUNK

JDMKID35 02-03-2005 04:53 PM

that doint look like its that cool...looks kinda ghetto

Hustn 02-03-2005 09:12 PM

Neat idea and solves some problems, but would seem to create new issues. I'd guess the biggest performance problem is lag; both on accel and decel. The exhaust gas will compress first in the long pipes before spooling-up the vanes and then reaching the engine. And there will be some delay between throttle closure and the vanes slowing down due to decompression in the pipes. I imagine the driving experience is interesting.

Also consider if you want that turbo next to the gas tank. Where would you relocate it in an s2k?

03S2KAY 02-06-2005 01:33 PM

Better hope you dont drive over a puddle of water with that set up !

alex s 02-06-2005 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by 03S2KAY' date='Feb 6 2005, 02:33 PM
Better hope you dont drive over a puddle of water with that set up !

as opposed to what? an AEM cai??

these systems are hardly junk, they're primarily used on 4x4s and late model f-bodies where "lag" isn't really an issue because you have a V8 pushing you down the road before the boost kicks in.

like any system though, it has it's pros and cons.

pros: engine bay isnt crowded, engine bay isnt overly heated, cheap price when compared to other systems, easy to install, easy to remove

cons: if you run cats there's chance of blowing out the cat and damaging the turbo, can't choose your own exhaust, no intercooler, if you rub levels of boost higher than 5-6 psi you have to have alcohol injection to keep everything kosher, long term durability is still being determined

i think it's definitely a cool product and i give them props for being different. but after it's all said and done, i'd still rather have an ATI Procharger for my f-body, hah.

i wish someone would actually buy for a honda, so we could see if the lag is really that bad at all.. i mean you know how stuff on the internet goes, "all the expertise and none of the experience."

Intrepid175 02-06-2005 08:17 PM

It seems to me that you'd loose a lot of heat energy in the exhaust gasses with such a long run between exhaust manifold and the turbocharger. :rev:

While this may work, I can't imagine it being very efficient. I could be wrong!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.