S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

The life & temporary death of my blown S2K

Old 09-25-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The OP has already done everything, everytime, in every alternate dimension. Crazy how he/she still has no clue what's wrong with the car, asks for help, then is upset because he/she didn't state any of what was asked is the original post. This pop sickle summa-bish is hilarious to me ahahaha
Old 09-25-2017, 11:06 AM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Please point out to me where I asked for help?
Old 09-25-2017, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by outeiroj
Please point out to me where I asked for help?
You posted not knowing what the root cause was of your oil pressure loss...or did you forget or you already knew what the cause was or is gonna be...refer to post #4
Old 09-25-2017, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE
You posted not knowing what the root cause was of your oil pressure loss...or did you forget or you already knew what the cause was or is gonna be...refer to post #4
your right I don’t know the root cause because I haven’t torn down yet, and you don’t either. and for anyone to say then can pinpoint it over the internet is stupid, without actual tear down there is no way to know the cause. I repeat there is not one word in any of my posts either asking for an opinion or help, I was merely sharing a story and you went on a crusade. Feel free to point out where I asked for any help and I will apologize otherwise shit the **** down.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by outeiroj
I have no way to prove what the root cause was. However, based on the metal in the pan and large amounts of play in multiple rod bearings I'm leaning towards detonation that caused massive bearing failure. If that is in fact the case, then it very well could have been the tune. The tuner ran into a few different issues when it was on the dyno, including fueling & spark issues at higher rpm as well as issues keeping his a/f sensor to not rattle off my tailpipe, and despite him having quite a bit of honda experience, and the fact im not going to accuse someone of doing something I cannot prove, I can't help but feel that it might have been related to the tune.

The engine had 59k miles on it, never burned a drop of oil and for the last 3 years has seen 1500 miles total of driving with 3 oil changes in that time frame (once per year).
Your statements even point more toward my help for you, below is a link you can use to educate yourself
Detonation - What Causes It And How To Prevent It
Old 09-25-2017, 01:15 PM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Whoa no need to get so sensitive bro. I'm sure like the rest of us justinthecoastie is just trying to help providing suggestions and his 2 cents. Just like what im gonna do next.
As far as spark plugs go, i went 1step colder on my 500whp build and still had to gap those down to .017. I cant imagine how you could be running smooth on stock plugs at the same gap. Im just saying. My ngk8 plugs were breaking up top even at .021 and had to gap down to .017.
As far as oil starvation goes, that sucks. No it really does suck and i feel for your potential rebuild. Its also odd that your oil pump wouldve all of a sudden go bad....overall its jjst a really weird situation you have. I hope you figure everything out. Im only gonna provide constructive criticism off my own experiences so if it comes across to you in any other way plz take it with a grain of salt. Good luck! And keep us updated with what went wrong if/when you find out.
The following users liked this post:
JUSTINTHECOASTIE (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mijae007
Whoa no need to get so sensitive bro. I'm sure like the rest of us justinthecoastie is just trying to help providing suggestions and his 2 cents. Just like what im gonna do next.
As far as spark plugs go, i went 1step colder on my 500whp build and still had to gap those down to .017. I cant imagine how you could be running smooth on stock plugs at the same gap. Im just saying. My ngk8 plugs were breaking up top even at .021 and had to gap down to .017.
As far as oil starvation goes, that sucks. No it really does suck and i feel for your potential rebuild. Its also odd that your oil pump wouldve all of a sudden go bad....overall its jjst a really weird situation you have. I hope you figure everything out. Im only gonna provide constructive criticism off my own experiences so if it comes across to you in any other way plz take it with a grain of salt. Good luck! And keep us updated with what went wrong if/when you find out.
i didn't ask for anyone's 2 cents, however since you approached your comments in the correct manner i will answer your questions. Im not attempting to argue the purpose of a colder spark plug. If i hadn't run into fuel issues it would probably been more relevant however my car was tuned down to 7000 rpm due to the fuel pump attempting to pull more amperage from the relay than it could handle. This wasn't even designed to be a final tune. It was mostly to get off of my base tune so that i could get a better idea of where I needed to go in terms of supporting mods to reach my ultimate goals. The failure itself happened 10 miles from the tuner on my way home and at approximately 6k rpm under a 50% load. I replied that his comment was asinine because nothing is pointing to a lack of spark causing the issue, and he made that comment without having all the facts. When people make statements without facts to back up those statements than I will take issue with it. As far as mentioning the oil pump, it was merely a components that could be an issue because theoretically it can be, and ultimately has a higher probability of being the cause of the failure then the heat range on the spark plugs.

Now if I had been running a full pass at the track or running laps and holding high rpm under heavy load then i could definitely agree that the spark plugs could the root cause of the issue. But its not. Ill be tearing the motor apart on Thursday and im sure at that point ill be able to definitively pinpoint the cause
Old 09-25-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Ladies, surely that's enough?!

OP thanks for posting, any chance of more pictures and info as the teardown progresses?

Blown mofors are never much fun. What did the tuner say when you told him what has happened to the motor?
Old 09-25-2017, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by E4RTH WORM JIM
Ladies, surely that's enough?!

OP thanks for posting, any chance of more pictures and info as the teardown progresses?

Blown mofors are never much fun. What did the tuner say when you told him what has happened to the motor?
he seems to think it could be a thrust washer failure, ill try to take some pics of the inside but ill be on my back doing it at home so I don't know how well those pictures will come out

Ill probably be able to take considerably better pictures whenever the time comes to pull the sub frame off along with the engine & trans for the actual swap process, Thursday is just going to be for exploratory & curiosity purposes only. I spent about an hour on the phone with inline pro working out some details and because of my location & inability to enjoy the car from October - April I may end up waiting until spring time to do the full tear down/swap
Old 09-25-2017, 06:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

OP, when I killed my AP1 shortblock I started a thread and challenged the brightest stars this board has to offer (me: you can plug oil jets vs them: hell no you can't). The moderators shut my thread down well before it escalated to this shit show of a thread . So on some level I'm left wondering where the hell are the moderators!?

But after my thread was shutdown, then the _real_ cause of my failure was determined during rebuild: the thermostat wasn't opening so the engine was overheating.

Yes, the lack of oil jets was enough of an increase in heat to the cylinder walls that they were _much_ more susceptible to failure due to the thermostat staying closed.

But the know-it-alls in my thread never got the benefit of really knowing why my engine failed. I could've started another thread and baited them.. but I waited to thread-jack your dysfunctional thread for a brief moment.

Anyway, this is all to say: Nobody cares about your failure as much as you. Nobody is as invested in fixing it. But conversely it is way too soon to know what the hell happened (as you correctly pointed out).

Quick Reply: The life & temporary death of my blown S2K