S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Major belt slippage w/2.8" - Update

Old 09-16-2012, 09:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Major belt slippage w/2.8" - Update

This 2.8" pulley is becoming to be more of a hassle than it should. I'm running an ASP 2.8" steel pulley with Carbinite coating (www.carbiniteracing.com). In addition, I've notched the pulley (using a dremel) to look like the Reichard one.

For the life of me, I cannot get one pulley not to snap mid track. Belt tension is tight, but naturally will stretch with heat. At my trackday yesterday, I would exit the track every 4 laps or so to check & tighten belt tension because I felt some rubber burning. The slippage is primarily an issue at high rpms (6.5k+). The belt just cant withstand this track usage. This impacted my lap times as I was always trying to stay out of the peak RPM band and would distract my attention.

I've been thinking that perhaps this carbinite coating is the culprit. For those who don't know, the coating feels like a mild grip sandpaper for added traction. This may be doing more harm than good and just sanding down my belt at high RPMSs.

I ordered an aluminum pulley from Vortech and plan to notch the pulley to mimic the Reichard ones. I'm not going to carbinite this one and see what happens. Also plan to use some Loctite belt dressing for anti-slip properties.

For those running the 2.8" what has been your experience?

Old 09-16-2012, 10:00 AM

OK, figured out a path forward. The Vortech kit supplies a 6" crank pulley (vs. the 5.45 by SOS). I'll be installing the Vortech drive pulley with a 3.1" blower pulley to get me the same boost level. This should work much better. I hope

Anyone know by chance if the SOS & Vortech drive pulleys have the same offset and bolt pattern?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Never had this much of an issue with my small sub 3" pulleys. The only difference was mine weren't rough like yours, so I'm thinking that has to be the issue. Sounds like your on the right track to resolving now. Sorry I dont know about the compatibility between the Paxton and VT blower pulleys.

I didn't know VT ran a 6" crank pulley. What do they want for one?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:49 PM

The 6" pulley was suprisingly cheap, $52
Old 09-17-2012, 10:58 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by 99SH
Wow really? Does it resemble the comptech one - made out of Alum and same bolt config to mount up to an already comptech modified OEM crank pulley?
Old 09-17-2012, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by 99SH' timestamp='1347860979' post='22016630
Wow really? Does it respemble the comptech one - made out of Alum and same bolt config to mount up to an already comptech modified OEM crank pulley?
SOS replied back in regards to crank pulley differences:
>>> No they are different. The ones we make are only for our kit, they will not work with any other kit.

I ordered it anyway, I'll report back my findings (with pictures).

Worse case, if the bolt patterns are significantly different that a machine shop cant fix, I can buy the Vortech crank pulley for $208. This assumes that the offset is correct.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Community Organizer

Cool
Old 09-17-2012, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little off topic, but why do the Reichard Racing pulleys have the holes drilled in them, I can't see it helping grip? Maybe weight saving, but if it was why not put more than they do?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by joefish1298
A little off topic, but why do the Reichard Racing pulleys have the holes drilled in them, I can't see it helping grip? Maybe weight saving, but if it was why not put more than they do?
The holes in the Reichard pulleys help give air a place to escape, essentially creating a vacuum. They also allow belt bits to escape as they wear.

I have a 3.2" (16 PSI - Vortech T-trim) Reicard pulley on my Taurus SHO and belt slip is always an issue with a 6-rib belt. I have found the Reichard pulley to work farily well with my previous 3.6" pulley, so I stuck with it when I rebuilt the motor and raised the boost. Another thing I have found to help is running a good belt. I've gone through my fair share, but I have never snapped one. I am currently a few hundred miles on a Gates HD "Green Stripe" belt and after initial strectch, it seems to be netting me a little more boost after retightening. It is a very stiff belt and is also a bit thicker than any other belt I've used. If you haven't given one of those belts a try, I would say it is worth a shot. Also, if you're looking to run slots, I would recommend just going with a Reichard. The thicker HD belt also has more surface area on the sides of the belt with the tall edges on the Reichard. I was looking at doing the Carbinite thing ealier this year, but I was worried about the issues you are having and decided against it. It's a pain in the ass to change belts on my setup.

I can get a picture of my HD belt setup if needed.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree about the comment about the holes allows air to escape. I don't think cutting slots on a SOS pulley is the same as the Reichard Racing pulley since air has somewhere to go. Plus, the slots are cut at an angle in regards to the direction of rotation. With a Gatorback belt, this thing grips. I am a believer! I say try to get a hold of Reichard Racing and get their pulley. I went from a consistent 16psi to 18+psi (need to re-dyno ) at the same rpms.

Quick Reply: Major belt slippage w/2.8" - Update