S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Rotrex Performance

Old 12-26-2017, 03:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rotrex Performance

A number of years ago several of us with Toyota MR2 Spyders and on the Spyderchat Forum developed a C30-94 Rotrex application using an A/W IC. All worked exceedingly well in street use, but one of the guys was big on taking his car out on track days at Circuit of the Americas, and he was plagued with overheating of the IC coolant. We tried several approaches to resolving that problem, but without much success. He finally took the car to a shop outside of Houston which had accumulated a great deal of experience with FI and Spyders, and they came up with an interesting conclusion and solution.
Now I'm going here into something I don't understand well enough to explain, but when they studied the Rotrex technical data they concluded that when operated at the upper end of the Rotrex's RPM range developing the most boost (where you'd expect it to be when you're out there on the race track), it was generating so much heat that the IC system couldn't handle it, hence the IC coolant would climb in temperature until the system was overwhelmed. Given that the grill opening and the size of the FMIC were already maximized, their solution was to change the pulley size on the Rotrex to bring down the Rotrex's RPM at engine redline. This brought the Rotrex's output away from the fringe of the performance envelope more into the sweet spot, thus reducing the high temperature of the compressed air coming out of the Rotrex. It's been too many decades since I studied physics, but my guess is that the tradeoff of PVT (pressure, volume and temperature) had a positive result. In any event, out on the track my friend was able to turn laps just as fast without any build-up of the IC coolant temperature.
I don't know if any of this could be applicable to Rotrex'd S2000's, but just a thought. Anyway, here's a pic of that Rotrex performance map-