S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Forced Induction (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/)
-   -   Metallic slurry sound after cylinder head reassembly (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/metallic-slurry-sound-after-cylinder-head-reassembly-1192248/)

F1TwoThousand 03-03-2019 10:19 PM

Metallic slurry sound after cylinder head reassembly

Upgraded valvetrain and put everything back together and went to start the car and heard this metallic slurry sound. At first i thought it was a frozen pulley. I started the car without drivebelt, same sound. I did swap out oem to fluidampr pulley during the head upgrade so i will install oem pulley tmrw to see if that was somehow rubbing. Any ideas what might be the issue? I will undo cams and reinstall if the pulley checks out fine. Here is a video any help is appreciated headphone users beware:

Maybe the timing chain tensioner somehow got messed up during reassembly (had a hard time retracting it to reassemble it)aswell and is putting too much pressure on cam chain?

Charper732 03-04-2019 03:49 AM

I think you answered your own question. I was running a ballade and it failed on me. Would not retract enough and made some weird noises...albiet, not the same as yours. I put back in a modified OEM and problem solved

EOE 03-04-2019 02:52 PM

It probably could be a lot of things, but when I went from my Ballade to BillMan’s my motor sounded silky smooth and silent. Just saying. I heard Ballade stuff might have been reformulated by now, so depends on how old it is. I did see the damage on one part of the Ballade TCT that could cause complete failure, it was a groove that was jus started to develop on one of the TCT parts but I don’t recall exact part name.

F1TwoThousand 03-04-2019 07:57 PM

I had the ballade TCT for a year with no issues. Problem was when i took it out and back in basically it was difficult to make the worm gear rotate back into place via screwing in the 5mm(i think)bolt and wingnut. I removed it and just ordered an oem TCT and will eventually get a billman TCT when that starts to fail... Will report back if that fixes the engine whine.

Charper732 03-05-2019 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by F1TwoThousand (Post 24573550)
I had the ballade TCT for a year with no issues. Problem was when i took it out and back in basically it was difficult to make the worm gear rotate back into place via screwing in the 5mm(i think)bolt and wingnut. I removed it and just ordered an oem TCT and will eventually get a billman TCT when that starts to fail... Will report back if that fixes the engine whine.

Drill the oil feed on the OEM TCT a few sizes bigger and you won't have an issue with it failing

Spoolin 03-07-2019 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Charper732 (Post 24573659)
Drill the oil feed on the OEM TCT a few sizes bigger and you won't have an issue with it failing

I also believe using a premium oil like Amsoil that is high in ZDDP (store bought oil has none in it any longer) is key to a long lasting TCT.

F1TwoThousand 03-08-2019 06:54 PM

Installed new oem tct same problem. Will be reinstalling cams