S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Noisey SoS Paxton

Old 06-28-2014, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisey SoS Paxton

Is this typical? After several hours on a hot day it will even get a very high pitched hum. On a cool day, or before warm up, it is quiet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BWnlBTioCo
Old 06-28-2014, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"coffee grinder" sound is likely normal.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:48 AM

Yes, from what I've been told, a certain amount of gear rattle is normal and it should go away under load. What I have a problem with is a loud high pitched whine that developed after 4.5 hours of hyway driving on a warm day. The car sat over night and the whine was gone, but returns, though not nearly as loud, in similar conditions. I plan on checking the oil return line Monday, and sending the blower to Paxton for evaluation. I have done several auto-cross events and a hill climb that didn't seem to effect it.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My novi1000 did the same normal
Old 06-28-2014, 02:59 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Now, that is what a supercharger is supposed to sound like. Very little gear grind and lots of "supercharger whistle" and ringing.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had 3, all of them sounded similar to that...the only thing that I would add is there is a very small oil port in the feed line, and if anything blocks that feed line the SC will be oil starved. The only reason I know this is because I starved a nv1200 and it seized up. The guys at Paxton said to never use the Teflon tape on the oil line fittings. They suspected that a small piece got clogged in my port...but could never prove it.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the input. We found a kink in the air to air return hose which I'm sure effected cooling over long drives. Since the unit is out I am sending it for evaluation just to be on the safe side. I would also like to thank Evans Tuning, the folks at SoS, and Paxton for support and advise.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had that exact same metallic rattle sound decided to send my novi 1200 in for a rebuild and we discovered the bearings were worn and so was the back gear case where it holds the bearing. Mine was due to excessive belt tension. I did not trust that metallic sounding rattle.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chitoki
I had that exact same metallic rattle sound decided to send my novi 1200 in for a rebuild and we discovered the bearings were worn and so was the back gear case where it holds the bearing. Mine was due to excessive belt tension. I did not trust that metallic sounding rattle.
Thanks, that put me over the top. I got an R/A number from Paxton and sending it off. When I showed it to Evans they said the belt tensioner was maxed out. Until now I was really kind of himming and hawing.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tjm204
Originally Posted by Chitoki' timestamp='1404175945' post='23224842
Thanks, that put me over the top. I got an R/A number from Paxton and sending it off. When I showed it to Evans they said the belt tensioner was maxed out. Until now I was really kind of himming and hawing.
Good stuff, you are in for one hell of a wait. I think it took Paxton over a month to return my unit, I would have paid for the expedited service if I had knowing it was going to take so long.

Quick Reply: Noisey SoS Paxton