S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Novi1000 to HKS GT Supercharger. Is it worth it?

Old 01-06-2017, 08:49 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
I'm not sure where you're located, but here in NC we have state emissions inspections where they plug into your OBD2 port (no exhaust sniffer). I would always just swap back to OEM injectors, ECU, MAP sensor, and remove the SC belt, drive it for a day to clear the readiness codes, and go get inspected. It was only about an hour of work to go "OEM" and an hour to go back to SC. No big deal for once-a-year emissions checks. If your emissions checks are like ours, I wouldn't let them sway your decision too much when its this easy to pass.
That is another nice benefit about being supercharged vs turbo. In WA testing is every other year. Some counties still don't have any testing required, which blows me away these days.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Standalone units allow you to determine how much timing is being pulled with IATs, whereas it appears using the Emanage, you aren't. So even if the car can handle full timing at 140* IAT, the stock map may be pulling a lot of timing and killing your power. A tune on a more capable standalone unit may fix that problem there.

I agree with upgrading to N1200 and having it tuned on Haltech or AEM. Find a good tuner though, there are so many crap "professional" tuners out there nowadays that swear they know what they're doing. I live in Texas, and if I were to do it over again, I swear I would probably drive up to PA for a Jeff Evans tune.

Best of luck to ya
Old 01-06-2017, 01:16 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I have the HKS kit and over here in the UK it is by far the cheapest kit available and it was one of the reasons i chose it. I couldn't justify the taxes and import costs of getting a SOS kit from the states.

The one thing you haven't done is change the after cooler itself. Those things can only do so much cooling and you have the standard item on. I would look into changing it for a longer barrel type aftercooler. If your coolant isn't getting saturated then it would suggest the aftercooler isn't able to drag enough heat out of the air, so thats the bottle neck.

Me personally i would make what you have at the moment work well before changing it. The SOS kit offers alot more potential than the HKS in power terms and is probably alot less stressed than the HKS blower. The hks blower is at 107k rpm at a 9000rpm redline.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:27 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by markforrester99
I have the HKS kit and over here in the UK it is by far the cheapest kit available and it was one of the reasons i chose it. I couldn't justify the taxes and import costs of getting a SOS kit from the states.

The one thing you haven't done is change the after cooler itself. Those things can only do so much cooling and you have the standard item on. I would look into changing it for a longer barrel type aftercooler. If your coolant isn't getting saturated then it would suggest the aftercooler isn't able to drag enough heat out of the air, so thats the bottle neck.

Me personally i would make what you have at the moment work well before changing it. The SOS kit offers alot more potential than the HKS in power terms and is probably alot less stressed than the HKS blower. The hks blower is at 107k rpm at a 9000rpm redline.
what kind of numbers r u making with wat mods and fuel. How much did the kit cost u btw ?
Old 01-06-2017, 02:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Singh_snisen
ofcourse. The standalone is far superior. How did u like the haltech? Where do u reside? I wanted to try haltech but in north California no one knows that much about them. Tuners I mean.
Have you tried jei at blakctrax. He can basically tune anything, pretty sure he has experience with haltech.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:03 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by S_DosMil
Have you tried jei at blakctrax. He can basically tune anything, pretty sure he has experience with haltech.
i am from San Jose and know all of blacktracxx. I race againt tom tang and Graham all the time. Never ask jei about haltech but blacktraxx is very VERY expensive
Old 01-06-2017, 03:10 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I mapped mine myself so it's yet to go on a dyno but i would imagine it's 350+ . I run a tiny amount of water/meth just above 5 psi just for added knock prevention and some cooling.

I think i got mine for about £3200 but that was just the kit. I already had the AEM ECU and fuel pump,injectors. I probably would of gone for the SOS kit but like i said the shipping and taxes would of been a killer
Old 02-23-2019, 11:13 AM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

How about now? Here we are in 2019... I might upgrade my Novi1000 to 1200. Does SOS even do that anymore?

But for some reason HKS kit really interests me. I like the idea of a lighter kit that’s not hanging over the front end of the car.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:09 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by EOE
How about now? Here we are in 2019... I might upgrade my Novi1000 to 1200. Does SOS even do that anymore?

But for some reason HKS kit really interests me. I like the idea of a lighter kit that’s not hanging over the front end of the car.
SOS sells the adapter plate yes, and will sell you a 1200 blower, however as far as what to do with your old blower, that's up to you. Paxton takes trade ins, so you could trade your NV1000 for a 1200 for some money off, however you would likely be ahead buying the 1200 from sos for much cheaper then Paxton sells them for and just selling your old blower. Last I checked the adapter plate from sos was about $275 and Blower $1700. Paxton wants about $2500 for the blower but will offer you about $500 for you old blower on trade in.

Either way you would be much further ahead doing this upgrade then moving to the HKS. Your just trading one apple for another really. Power wise yield and overall reliability your still likely ahead with the paxton set up.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 02-23-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a somewhat similar setup to you except for the ecu . I run an old Aem v1 1052 box . It was tuned by Jeff Evans way back like 10 years ago . I made 411 Whp on his Dynopack at 13 psi from a Vortech . The car regardless of weather runs very well but slightly slower when its hot as hell out . I will say i think a stand alone ecu is superior to any piggy back any day as long as its tuned by a skilled tuner . That being said some have had tremendous success with the Emanage units others have not . Just ask any high end tuner about piggy backs and you will get the same answer . Your Novi 1000 blower is not your problem and it proven to be very capable . I think most all of the centrifugal s/c cars can be very consistent and are all strikingly similar on how they behave in different weather conditions . Its all in the tuning and ecu . I just put an Infinity in my other car and find it to be Excellent . It is much faster than my old v1 box at making corrections and actually having proper knock sensor feedback . A very nice piece indeed . I wouldn't hesitate to get one i were you . Best of luck !

Quick Reply: Novi1000 to HKS GT Supercharger. Is it worth it?