S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Oil Cooler Install on Turbo s2k

Old 02-18-2019, 10:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

At first, I didn't want to install a too big oil rad because I am afraid that FMIC + oil coolers restrict too much the airflow going to the water radiator...

After making the installation that I showed in picture, I made researches and found the same information that you just give me. But I didn't find such a graph: cool one!

Actually, the silver oil cooler I used for my test is broken, so I have to change it. I will be going for a 16 row I think: this will be a good compromise between pressure loss and size/fitment: It sould fit nearly the same place that the 10 row I used, with minor modification on my brackets.
I don't want to use the fake AP1 bumper openings because I plan to use them for brake cooling...
Old 02-18-2019, 11:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzai69
Here is what I did today with folded flat aluminum profile and standard metal brackets.
Finishes are in progress: cut the squares flush, and paint all in black.

Engine oil cooler + rotrex SC oil cooler
WOW that is a tiny oil cooler, mine must be at least 3-4 times bigger!
Old 02-19-2019, 02:12 AM

The one in the picture (left) is 10 row 235mm MOCAL.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:20 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I drilled a hole through the sandwich plate so that some of the oil bypasses the oil cooler. This allowed me to run AN8 lines (1/2bsp) and a smaller cooler.

If you read some of the other graphs the heat rejection per row isnt hugely dependant on the amount of flow through the rows.

I'm pretty sure i drilled a 10mm hole through the sandwich block. I figured out that combined with the AN8 pipe diameter worked out to larger than an AN10 line. If you look at the thermostatic sandwich plates they work on this principle except they close to force more oil through the cooler. People have complained of overcooling with the thermostatic sandwich plate.

Myself personally i think its abit mad trying to force all of the S2000's high flow oil pump output through a restrictive cooler when you could bypass that cooler and it has minimal effect to the cooling effect. Aslong as there is some oil flowing through the cooler you will see a decent amount of heat rejection.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:31 PM

Once again: this sounds great information!
First impression is: why install an oil cooler if I drill a hole to bypass it... looks curious. But your explaination sounds good.

I plan to use the Greddy thermostatic (80°C) sandwich plate:
Old 02-20-2019, 01:50 AM

This is my experience with adding cooling but at the same time minimising pressure drop and allowing smaller and easier to bend lines. It makes sense in my mind and it works well in my application. The oil cooler is always hot after a spirited drive so there is enough oil flow keeping it warm.

I'm removing my oil cooler today because i don't really need it on just a road car. I will take some photos of the hole i drilled so it explains it abit better. I've had it fitted for 3 years without any problems.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:21 AM

Old 02-20-2019, 06:43 AM

I understand the hole effect.
Did you see a cooling difference before and after making this hole ? Did you see a pressure difference ?
Old 02-20-2019, 11:35 AM

Pressure wise i get the same as what i had before i had a cooler. When i had a cooler without the hole in the sandwich plate i would see 70psi during vtec and that was with AN10 sized lines. I was running a 19 row cooler. The way i figure it at low RPM and low pump flows most of the oil will bypass the cooler through the hole. When the engine starts revving higher the increase oil flow will cause the hole to gradually become a restriction and push more through the cooler. Its the perfect solution, very little cooling whilst cruising around and then alot of cooling when pushing on and revving high.

Temperature wise my sender broke but it noticed a decent decrease in temperatures. I dont need that amount of cooler nowdays with only road driving.
The following users liked this post:
pizzai69 (02-21-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 08:16 PM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

My oil cooler is quite large. I also went with the high flow version of the mocal thermostat which is a good bit bigger than what most use.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Install on Turbo s2k