S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Forced Induction (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/)
-   -   Part Breakage Breakdown (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/part-breakage-breakdown-274872/)

Jamesmic7 03-10-2005 05:42 PM

Part Breakage Breakdown

This question is for a select few I suppose, because I'm looking for information from people who have broken F20C's themselves, doing their own tuning. While I certainly appreciate anyone's insight, I'm trying to learn from experience, not theory here, I understand the theory already.

That said, what I'm trying to figure out is certain approximate limits that people have discovered thus far. Concerning the motor exclusively (I'm aware of the drivetrain weak points).

Assuming the tuning is safe, what is the first thing to break as boost increases. It seems that >11 psi is uncharted on a completely stock motor. What is the first thing to go? I suppose I'd guess ringlands, but I don't have experience building these motors in particular yet.

If my first guess is correct, assuming pistons are replaced, what becomes the next limiting factor?

Basically I'm planning a build for ~450whp or so on pump gas on something GT30R-esque, and I'm curious what is actually neccessary. Obviously the power goal depends on part limitations.I know there are a lot of people here throwing around money replacing things for huge safety factors. I, however, do not have extra money to spend, especially when it isn't needed. I will be tuning on an AEM, and I am NOT willing to use a thick headgasket to change compression. The car will be turbo'd (not that it matters).

Again please help contribute only from actual experience, not speculation... (I can do plenty of that myself :-D )

Thanks in Advance,
~James

Jamesmic7 03-12-2005 11:19 AM

No one has any comments on this?

PWRMKR 03-12-2005 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesmic7,Mar 12 2005, 12:19 PM
No one has any comments on this?

I have an

Jamesmic7 03-12-2005 01:04 PM

If you're implying that people here are holding back information, that's pretty sad. Last I checked, turbo S2k's aren't dominating any race circuits around, and at the build level I'm talking about I'd be suprised if I'm knocking down anyone's door in terms of other territories.

While a ~500whp S2000 will be a fun car, it's not going to be anything phenominal. I know plenty of 500, 600, 700, 800 whp cars in other markets, whether it be DSM's, domestics, supras, otherwise...that would gladly share their whole setup.

Hopefully some people on here will share their info...thanks for the suggestion though either way.

Infidel 03-13-2005 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesmic7,Mar 12 2005, 03:04 PM
If you're implying that people here are holding back information, that's pretty sad. Last I checked, turbo S2k's aren't dominating any race circuits around, and at the build level I'm talking about I'd be suprised if I'm knocking down anyone's door in terms of other territories.

While a ~500whp S2000 will be a fun car, it's not going to be anything phenominal. I know plenty of 500, 600, 700, 800 whp cars in other markets, whether it be DSM's, domestics, supras, otherwise...that would gladly share their whole setup.

Hopefully some people on here will share their info...thanks for the suggestion though either way.

Well, I doubt that people are intentionally "holding back" information. What would be the point of visiting a message board if you were. I can't imaging this would be the case of anyone who regularly posts.

Anyway, to answer your question, I don't think anyone has yet destroyed a *propery tuned* motor due to running too much boost. At least, I haven't heard of anything where high boost was clearly the reason for an engine failure. That's probably why you don't get much of a response.

Tinker219 03-13-2005 01:51 PM

Well James, with 8psi and 91 octane, there was plenty of room left before any knocking occurred. I would guess a solid 10 psi could be attained while still being safe, with 93 octane albeit.
Id like to max out the stock MAP sensor when my round trip to Florida is complete, just to see what kind of power she makes. Right now we are at approximately 18whp/psi, so 3 more psi could be very interesting; even more could be had if we bumped up the timing(gained approxmately 7whp per degree of timing, from 12 to 16 degrees).
My tuner said 300whp was about the limit on pump gas on HIS dyno with any of the S2000's that he had run(all SC'd), we hit that and found the knock table to be VERY tame. I called it quits because this was just on the wastegate spring, and at the time, the stock clutch probably wasnt liking the extra torque.

Just sharing my experiences.
On a side note, Im hearing some "new" clunks in the rear end that I dont think where there before. Before, the rear would clunk while engaging any gear while stopped. Now I believe Im hearing clunks while moving/enganging gears. I will definately be listening for this, as I think belive the stiffer clutch has spread the stress to the next weekest link...

Jamesmic7 03-13-2005 02:49 PM

thanks for the information...

Basically what I'm trying to figure out is, if I replace the pistons with something ~9:1 and starting making more and more power at stock RPM, what will be my next limiting factor. By looking at the results with the inlinepro kit, mid 400's are not an issue for any of the stock parts. The fact that this is true even with the hacked fuel setup they use, and the thick headgasket screwing up combustion is spelling out a great future for this motor! I unfortunately don't have the money to just plan on breaking something and go from there.

Edit: Hurry up and get that 240 rear end in!

Tinker219 03-14-2005 10:16 AM

James,
Unfortunately to just install pistons, you must also sleeve. That pretty much rules out any possibility of engine damage due to power stresses(assuming you dont use the stock bump sticks).
Someone asked me what I would do to have 400whp, daily driven that could potentially last 150k miles.
This was my answer:
240sx rear end w/Nismo LSD;
lower the compression w/either 2 or 3mm headgasket;
clutch;
and the LoveFab turbo kit with a GT35R :)
Based on my experiences so far, I do not see why this wouldnt last 100k miles, and having lower compression will even lengthen that time frame(you can always turn the boost DOWN while daily driving, turn it back up when having fun ;) ).

So my answer to you James is leave the motor stock and worry about the drivetrain; it is very under-engineered for the car. And Im working on that 240 conversion, itll begin after FL :)

Asura 03-14-2005 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tinker219,Mar 14 2005, 11:16 AM
So my answer to you James is leave the motor stock and worry about the drivetrain; it is very under-engineered for the car.

The drivetrain was well built by Honda for the purpose it was intended for.

Tinker219 03-14-2005 02:23 PM

I know of several relatively stock S2000's(intake, brake pads maybe) who have been through more than one rear end...I would say Honda under-engineered the drivetrain for what the car is capable of. Or, OVER-engineered the rest of the car compared to the drivetrain? :D