S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

PFab Twin Scroll Top Mount Vs. Scroll Manifold (Fitment & Spool Time)

Old 10-31-2015, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PFab Twin Scroll Top Mount Vs. Scroll Manifold (Fitment & Spool Time)

Edit: Topic should read "vs. Forward Facing Manifold"... If an admin/mod sees this and could change that I'd appreciate it :/

Links to manifolds at bottom.

I'm not planning on any further upgrades on my car for quite some time, however one thing I definitely want to switch out at some point is my manifold. I'm currently using a King Performance log, and although it's performing fine I'd like to upgrade to a better ELT mani at some point.

My ultimate goal is ~500WHP with the quickest spool possible. I know that shorter runners on a manifold normally help with spool time, but I'm slightly worried about fitment issues with the PFab Twin Scroll mani. My KP log is a top mount though so I can't imagine that the turbo would really sit much differently than it does now. It may actually make more sense to go with the Pfab top mount as that may require only minor modifications to my piping, but I'm not sure.

Otherwise, I was looking at forward mounting manifolds like the Full Race mani (Pfab is also supposed to have a twin scroll FF model coming out soon). I know this would give me much more room for a larger turbo and ultimately give me more space in the bay, but I'd have to modify my piping a lot more and I know the longer runners would decrease spool time (although I don't know by how much).

Here is how my car is sitting now with the KP top mount log, as well as links to the manifolds. As I've been typing this I'm thinking more and more that the Pfab Twin Scroll + GT3076R (I think you can rarely find these with T4 divided housing?) would be the best option to go with in the future, but I'm still curious to hear what people say. How does the spool time between manifolds compare? Can anyone see any obvious spatial constraints I'd run into with the Pfab mani?

http://www.pfabrications.com/inc/sdetail/2724/2486

http://www.full-race.com/store/turbo...-manifold.html

Attachment 176907
Old 11-01-2015, 04:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the forward facing manifold from Pfab. Fitment is good. Only thing is, it's very very close to the vtec solenoid

I made some pictures for you.

If you ask Pang, I'm sure he'll make a manifold for you too
Old 11-01-2015, 05:28 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The PFAB top-mount is an awesome looking piece. It worked great for JoeyBalls.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:40 AM

Jaspah, thanks for the pics. That bay looks really clean

And it's good to hear that someone has had success with the top mount before. I remember seeing JoeyBalls posting around but forgot what mani he was using.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:30 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's pic of his (JoeyBalls) manifold

Old 11-01-2015, 06:46 PM

Thanks Justin, those pics look really nice. Looks like everything would be a tight fit but I think I'd actually have less to relocate/worry about with that mani than with a forward facing piece. I'll definitely have to get that different downpipe though, it'd take too much to modify mine

Does anyone know why there's so many (of what appears to be) scuff marks on Joey's exhaust housing? I'd think it may be a clearance issue between the housing and the hood but I don't think it'd result in scuffing that resembles that.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance S2K
Thanks Justin, those pics look really nice. Looks like everything would be a tight fit but I think I'd actually have less to relocate/worry about with that mani than with a forward facing piece. I'll definitely have to get that different downpipe though, it'd take too much to modify mine

Does anyone know why there's so many (of what appears to be) scuff marks on Joey's exhaust housing? I'd think it may be a clearance issue between the housing and the hood but I don't think it'd result in scuffing that resembles that.
My blind guess - they filed/grinded down a seam, possibly to avoid snagging a turbo blanket. Certainly wouldn't be from rubbing the hood (it goes all the way around the visible circumference of the housing).
Old 11-04-2015, 07:21 AM

Thats how the ATP 1.06 divided exhaust housing looks, probably removing the casting marks from when its made. Nothing you have to worry about with clearance. I found my top mount did not leave a lot of room for movement of the downpipe or dump tubes and I always had rattling issues against the frame.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by neeman77
Thats how the ATP 1.06 divided exhaust housing looks, probably removing the casting marks from when its made. Nothing you have to worry about with clearance. I found my top mount did not leave a lot of room for movement of the downpipe or dump tubes and I always had rattling issues against the frame.
Did that lack of maneuverability cause problems (besides the vibrations)? And do you mean that the manifold/turbo/piping was literally making contact with the frame at all times, or only when the engine torqued?

I'm guessing you ended up swapping it out. Sorry for all the questions, I just want whatever manifold I get next to be problem free and the one that I stick with for a long time.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the look of a top mount. And with me wanting to do a V-mount, I figured the PFab ELT top mount was the perfect choice in turbo manifold. My manifold is a T4 non divided manifold, and I had full boost at 5200rpm with a Precision 6165 ball bearing turbo. I'm sure with a divided manifold it would be fully spooled in the 4k rpm range. 500whp is plenty of power for the S2000 chassis. My personal opinion, but i believe 500whp is the perfect amount for our cars, both for reliability and to be fast as heck!

Name:  Completed_V-mount_zpsc552b783.jpg
Views: 2664
Size:  66.7 KB

Name:  S2k_Dyno_zpsytnejoar.jpg
Views: 1665
Size:  95.0 KB

Quick Reply: PFab Twin Scroll Top Mount Vs. Scroll Manifold (Fitment & Spool Time)