S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Forced Induction (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/)
-   -   Planning my turbo set up (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/planning-my-turbo-set-up-1193270/)

S2KLINY 04-12-2019 10:30 AM

Planning my turbo set up

***Update 10/19/19***
Folks,
Thank you all for the input. Real talk: this is a really cool and chill forum; way better than other car forums I've been on. The troll to supportive person ratio is heavily skewed toward supportive people.
In late August, I ordered the PTuning kit w/ GTX3076. People seem to report the best results from this kit, compared to Fullblown, SoS, FullRace, etc. Only bad thing is I'm just waiting for them to make the next batch. I'm paid up but PTuning is still waiting for 2+- people before they start to build. Hopefully in the next few weeks.
I'm sticking with Hondata KPro for the same reasons I stated below. If anyone has any experiences with KPro and inspection, I'd love to hear from you (PM me); I know it's probably a bit "taboo" or perhaps against the rules to discuss these things publicly. I'm also eyeing the SoS map sensor to pair with the Hondata. Anyone have any experience with this?
Clutch will be ACT PP and OEM disk. Probably going to grab an AP1 flywheel too (AP1 slave to go with it).
Taking all your advice with fuel: ID1000s + walbro 255
Gauges: I'll have the AEM wideband and I'll do a dual Innovate gauge or Spa gauge for Boost/Oil pressure.
That wraps it up mostly. I'll update when the kit arrives and install gets going.

***Original Post***
Hey everyone,
I've done a lot of searching and reading a lot about what may be best for my upcoming set up. The (unofficial) consensus across the forum seems to be the PTuning kit is top-notch. Another viable option is SoS. I have a 2005 S2K and my goals are not exceptionally high. I want significant power gains without requiring bottom-end work - if I had to put a HP number, I'd say I'm aiming for high 300s/low 400s on 93 octane (no e85 in my plans). I'm planning on buying by the end of this season, at the latest. Here's what I'm thinking and I'd love some input from you all:
  • Either PTuning or SoS kit. You all seem to speak VERY highly of both kits, although PTuning seems be recommended more often.
  • GTX3076r; it'll spool a little faster than the GT30 and is just more efficient. Plus, I think the GT35 is definitely overkill.
  • Hondata K Pro for tuning; I want simple tuning, no swapping of ECUs for inspection, etc. K Pro seems to be able to handle this set up while keeping my ability to pass inspection. Plus, I already have the RSX ECU I need from some other projects some friends did. Just need to buy the OEM parts and the K Pro
  • SOS 325 clutch - seems like this will handle the amount of power I'm planning on throwing at it. If you all recommend it, I can go with the SOS 400 but i'm not sure it's needed.
  • SOS has a fuel system package that seems to work well; Walbro 255, 650cc injectors, plug and play connectors. easy, simple.
  • I have the the invidia q300 exhaust, which is undersized for boost. My plan is to get a custom exhaust from the DP back to the split, so it'll be 3in all the way back and have 2.5 inch twin exits with the q300 mufflers. I know a lot/most folks go single, 3in all the way back, but I'm set on keeping the twin exit, even if it hurts flow a little. I hope the 3in back to the split will be a good compromise
I welcome all feedback, please. I wanna do this right and am still new to the S2K game. I pulled all of this from searching the forum. I also have
  1. PTuning vs. SOS? Any significant opinions? I see that PTuning MM insert options too, which may be useful. Thoughts?
  2. Do i need to work on cooling? I've seen a few people talk about temps being a problem. I live in NY. Koyo radiator seems like a simple enough upgrade, if needed?
  3. Do you recommend a flywheel? No one really speaks about it much, especially not at this kind of build. My immediate reaction is that it's not needed.
  4. Am I missing anything necessary?
Thanks everyone.

illestrolla 04-12-2019 11:29 AM

I know you spilled a bunch of info above, and I'm not discrediting that effort. However, with your power goals, is there any particular reason you're not considering one of the available Supercharger kits? For your power goals, it would be cheaper, simpler, and more reliable, while also being easier on your drivetrain, and having no issues reaching your power goals.

Just some food for thought.

S2KLINY 04-12-2019 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by illestrolla (Post 24589118)
I know you spilled a bunch of info above, and I'm not discrediting that effort. However, with your power goals, is there any particular reason you're not considering one of the available Supercharger kits? For your power goals, it would be cheaper, simpler, and more reliable, while also being easier on your drivetrain, and having no issues reaching your power goals.

Just some food for thought.

Appreciate that and no discredit taken. I've seen a few of the SC kits and they make good power! My best answer is personal preference. I've had a few different builds before owning an S2K, both TC and SC, and TC just lights a special kinda fire in me.

I'm not averse to making more power than what I posted, I just don't want to run e85 or bottom end work, so this seemed like the best compromise from what i've seen folks on the forum say.

Thanks for making the suggestion. Appreciate the input

s2000Junky 04-12-2019 03:30 PM

You should get ID1000 injectors. Not 650cc which I assume are RC. 650cc is too small and ID will run better even in the larger cc.

The 325 will hold your trq you will make at the hp goal you stated, but you get much past this and your better off just going with the 400, or the common ACT PP/OEM friction disc combo.

In a nutshell, PT will make more top end but have more lag. SOS will give you likely better flatter trq curve and quicker spool. Depends what you want.

If your already replacing the clutch and have a ap2 then yes for sure get a lightweight flywheel, either throw in the 14lb from a ap1 or get a SOS 8.5lb which is what I prefer.

S2KLINY 04-12-2019 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky (Post 24589191)
You should get ID1000 injectors. Not 650cc which I assume are RC. 650cc is too small and ID will run better even in the larger cc.

The 325 will hold your trq you will make at the hp goal you stated, but you get much past this and your better off just going with the 400, or the common ACT PP/OEM friction disc combo.

In a nutshell, PT will make more top end but have more lag. SOS will give you likely better flatter trq curve and quicker spool. Depends what you want.

If your already replacing the clutch and have a ap2 then yes for sure get a lightweight flywheel, either throw in the 14lb from a ap1 or get a SOS 8.5lb which is what I prefer.

Thanks so much! Very helpful.
SOS sounds more like what I'm looking

Really appreciate the feedback my friend. Thank you. Any thoughts on whether I'll have any issues with temps/cooling, or do you think I'll be good with stock everything?

s2000Junky 04-12-2019 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by S2KLINY (Post 24589196)
Thanks so much! Very helpful.
SOS sounds more like what I'm looking

Really appreciate the feedback my friend. Thank you. Any thoughts on whether I'll have any issues with temps/cooling, or do you think I'll be good with stock everything?

No problem.

Under hood heat can be an issue with turbos on this car. The two scenarios where you will want to consider upgrading the cooling system is if you either plan on tracking the car, or find yourself in stop and go traffic in the middle of the summer with your A/C running. A vented hood and a larger Radiator are the easiest 2 things that can be done to address. Monitor it, if you find its an issue, its not hard to address it post turbo install.

S2KLINY 04-13-2019 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky (Post 24589247)
No problem.

Under hood heat can be an issue with turbos on this car. The two scenarios where you will want to consider upgrading the cooling system is if you either plan on tracking the car, or find yourself in stop and go traffic in the middle of the summer with your A/C running. A vented hood and a larger Radiator are the easiest 2 things that can be done to address. Monitor it, if you find its an issue, its not hard to address it post turbo install.

Very helpful, thank you!

s2000Junky 04-13-2019 08:49 AM

:thumbup:

Originally Posted by S2KLINY (Post 24589277)
Very helpful, thank you!

spdracerut 04-13-2019 04:44 PM

In my opinion, the AP1 flywheel is a must-do upgrade if you're already in there to change out the clutch. It just makes the car more enjoyable to drive because the engine is more responsive.
https://motoiq.com/project-s2000-mak...-drivetrain/2/

As for cooling, if it's a pure street car, you likely will not have to worry about oil temps. A Koyo radiator is a good upgrade and probably a good idea to do regardless due to the age of the car. The plastic headers on stock OEM radiators are usually on borrowed time after ten years are will crack at some point.

S2KLINY 04-13-2019 09:28 PM

Makes sense and doesn't cost too much.
Thanks for the input. Appreciate all the feedback from folks on the forum.