S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

"Regearing" SOS Supercharger

Old 03-24-2013, 08:05 PM
vtc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Regearing" SOS Supercharger

Hey guys

Excuse my lack of technical knowledge hear but I've got a question regarding my Supercharger setup that my mechanic has asked me to ask.

I have a 07 DBW S2000 with a SOS Novi 1200 Charger Kit Running 3.2" Pulley (13psi)Stock everything else (Running e85 fuel).

Car runs great with no problems making 278kw atw at 8000rpm but that's where the belts start slipping.

I'm from Australia (2 litre engine) so redline naturally lies up at 9000rpm but it has been de-tuned to 85000rpm.

QUESTION...

My mechanic has recommend that I "regear" the supercharger and change both the crank and supercharger pulley to create more boost but at a 8000rpm limit so there is no slipping and more usable power since I don't rev it out to redline as much.

Do many people do this? If so what crank sizes do I need? Or is the benefits of this not worth doing?

Going off the SOS recommendations I think I'm reaching the limit of what the supercharger can do so I'm unsure if this is a safe option.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated or if you think this idea is a bad idea then please let me know also.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2013, 01:00 PM

where did you get the pulley? is the belt too loose? a good way to check tightness is that you should be able to twist it about 90 degrees in its longest point. if it twists more... then tighten it more. if you got an sos pulley maybe you should have got a riechards or an asp pulley

i have an asp and it doesnt slip

also you gotta be really careful on you're gearing for the blower. if you upsize the crank pulley and downsize the blower pulley too much you could be overspinning the blower. i really dont think its necessary to upsize the crank pulley.. you can downsize the blower pulley till you max out the blower.

refer to this thread for a bit more info.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/894...it-faq-sticky/
Old 03-25-2013, 03:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have an SOS 3.2" pulley, then I bet it's slipping like a mofo. Do some datalogging or look at your dyno data files and look at your boost in relation to your RPMs. Going from a 3.0" SOS to a 3.0" Reichard Racing pulley allowed my max boost to go from 16psi to 19+psi
Old 03-25-2013, 04:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go with a Reichard Racing pulley. They're notched and grip the pulley much better.

$150 here:
http://www.lethalperformance.com/rei...y-vortech.html

Alternative is to make a custom crank pulley and increase your SC pulley accordingly (keeping the same ratio).
Old 03-25-2013, 06:42 PM
vtc

Yes I've still got the SOS 3.2" pulley and according to their chart list I have the smallest pulley I can go if I can hold the boost.

99SH I have a Novi 1200. Is the pulley for the vortech the same?? Ive been looking for a Reichard pulley. Do I get one in the same size and what belt would you use with that?

I guess Ill put away the idea of regearing the supercharger.

Thanks for your help!! Can't wait to stop the belt slipping and hopefully I might get close to my magical 300kw.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vtc
99SH I have a Novi 1200. Is the pulley for the vortech the same?? Ive been looking for a Reichard pulley. Do I get one in the same size and what belt would you use with that?
Yes, that pulley will work for the Novi 1200. Get the same size pulley and see how it works for you. No special belts required.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:18 AM
vtc

"Unfortunately these pulleys are not available at this time. "

NO!!!!!! Anyone know where else I can get this pulley?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:37 AM

I ordered mine from Reichard Racing. If you search, then you can find my thread.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:03 AM
vtc

Found your thread soulicious. Running a very similar setup to you. Did you contact Reichard Racind direct? From most threads I've read that they are too busy now to deal with private buyers because they have too many bog contracts.

Can't wait to to get full boost. Maybe Ill have to stick with ASP pulleys as they are easily available.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:15 AM

Just email the shop at the email address posted in the thread by starmann. I think the shop manager's name is Steve. After contacting them, the pulley arrived within a few days. They actually sent me the incorrect pulley the first time, but they were responsive and sent the correct pulley with a few days after sending them back the incorrect pulley.

Quick Reply: "Regearing" SOS Supercharger