S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Solving a brand new smoking turbo issue

Old 06-07-2017, 03:16 PM

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts

I dont like that type of line, id make sure its not piniched, cause it almost looks like it might be.

Id do a PTFE stiffer line. anfittingsdirect.com have amazing hoses, stiff, and wont pinch, i have SAME drain as you pretty much, and zero issues.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:01 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MorngWoodStewie
If you ask around I'm sure a common consensus is everyone AND I'm guilty to, is running a 10 AN return. But when I was reading specs for hydraulic lines, somewhere I was reading in it I realized 10 is actually to small for a lot of us. And 16 should be the common denominator. Does 10 work? Yes. ...is greddy return line to the oil drain bolt work? ... apparently! Lol. It must right?

But not for everyone a 100% of the time. So you have to soften the bend/s or install a larger size. A larger hose correlates to degree radius bend per like inches in length or something. So for ex. An AN10 can't drain properly with a 30* bend with only six inches of tubing or something like that... Sorry that's kinda sloppy Info I apologise, just trying to give you a understanding.

Your lucky though since it's on the timing cover, I bet you could get a 16press lock to 10AN female.

Post a pic like other guy said, see if we can give ya some more help. I had to redo my return on my new setup to.
I don't buy this at all really. I've been using a -8 drain to the girdle since 2003 when I first boosted the S and with all JB turbo's, have never once had an issue with draining or hurting a turbo. I've also run the -3 feed from both the oem oil pressure sensor location and relocation block on the engine block so pressure wasn't a factor either.

And as stated above, use a teflon lined hose to cut down on kinking.

Last edited by Spoolin; 06-07-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:29 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Although to me that looks like almost a 90* bend. (Which is not good)

What I meant by your lucky it's on the timing chain cover tho. Is because there really shouldn't be any oil in their, and it should drain fairly quick out of it so for it to be caused by that return does seem unlikely. (Possible other cause for smoke)

I would figure out where the oil is entering the system. Do you see oil residue burning in the down pipe? Is their oil in the compressor housing? Figure that out first. Might lead you to another cause.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:40 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by MorngWoodStewie
Although to me that looks like almost a 90* bend. (Which is not good)

What I meant by your lucky it's on the timing chain cover tho. Is because there really shouldn't be any oil in their, and it should drain fairly quick out of it so for it to be caused by that return does seem unlikely. (Possible other cause for smoke)

I would figure out where the oil is entering the system. Do you see oil residue burning in the down pipe? Is their oil in the compressor housing? Figure that out first. Might lead you to another cause.
It's not a 90* fitting. There is no oil on the compressor side. I had already sent this turbo back once for RMA, they claimed there was nothing wrong....but i have never seen them admit anything ever so who knows.

What gets me, is it smokes randomly. I was doing a couple pulls last night from 3rd gear and it was crazy how bad it was smoking under boost, but the majority of the time it doesn't smoke at all under boost.

I'm going to change the drain line out for one that was recommended earlier. My oil pan has a -10 fitting on it as well but I found out earlier in the build that the oil level would rise to that point at idle. I may try putting a Y fitting off the turbo drain and then going to the pan AND the timing cover

Last edited by Charper732; 06-09-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:17 PM

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts

Timing cover is fine, and that's where most of us have it. I think its your line. Change the line out to a true PTFE stiff SS line with anfittings direct lines, than report back. Could be once lines get warm, they start to bend and or collapse, when they are cold they are more open, allowing it to drain better. With anfittings PTFE hose, it wont do that. So when you get a drain made out of his hose, and it STILL smokes, you have crank case pressure issues.
You never posted pics of the VC and breathers.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by AP1Chief
Timing cover is fine, and that's where most of us have it. I think its your line. Change the line out to a true PTFE stiff SS line with anfittings direct lines, than report back. Could be once lines get warm, they start to bend and or collapse, when they are cold they are more open, allowing it to drain better. With anfittings PTFE hose, it wont do that. So when you get a drain made out of his hose, and it STILL smokes, you have crank case pressure issues.
You never posted pics of the VC and breathers.
I really appreciate the advice. I contacted anfittings and the PTFE hose is on backorder until July:/ I'm positive its not related to crankcase pressure issues as I have two -10 lines off the VC

Old 06-09-2017, 05:57 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Has anyone suggested a broken ring land or leaking valve seals? Maybe it's not the turbo?
Old 06-09-2017, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Has anyone suggested a broken ring land or leaking valve seals? Maybe it's not the turbo?
na, leakdown was less than 8% and comp was at 235 across the board. The most boost this motor has seen is 16psi.
If the valve seals were leaking it would smoke on start up and it has never done that so im confident that isn't an issue
The following users liked this post:
Spoolin (06-10-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 02:58 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Its gotta be that 45* drain fitting on the timing chain cover. It looks like the neck is sitting perfectly parallel to the ground if not even a little downwards causing oil to not drain properly. Thats probably why youre getting smoke at random times. Sometimes it drains and sometimes it pools and cant drain fast enough. Perhaps the bung shouldve been tapped at a slight angle.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:39 PM

Just an update, I have redone the drain line. The only thing I could get ahold of was some Fagora PTFE...omg was it expensive but it's damn high quality. My car has since stopped smoking as much as it was before. I still get sometimes when leaving stop lights or high boost scenarios. I am going to Y off the turbo drain and go to the timing cover AND the drain pan and see if that has much effect. The final step will be going over to Rotella since it'll hold up a little better to the heat.
Thanks for the tips guys, it has definitely helped

Quick Reply: Solving a brand new smoking turbo issue