S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Sorry, Evo 9 vs Turbo s2k

Old 02-26-2018, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry, Evo 9 vs Turbo s2k

Hello folks,
I apologize if this is in the wrong section, first post. I have been trying to decide for months whether to go with an evo 9 and eventually go bigger turbo, or buy an ap2 s2000 and turbo it (6262mm). All parts would be high quality and I am looking to achieve 500whp on the s2000 or evo alike. I know these comparisons are beaten to death, and each car is completely different. I am just fishing for different opinions on which you would pick if you could do it all again. I also get this will be biased but nonetheless still interested in your thoughts. I also understand that for the s2k, a diff conversion would need to be in order.
Side note: The reliability of the turbo s2000 has me a bit worried, (probably pushing 17ish psi on 93). I hope to make it more reliable with an EMS, thicker head gasket, and a quality tune.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:17 PM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Would help if you did some research before asking the question.....especially since you just stated you know this has been beaten to death. Why would you go with a 6262 when you want 500 hp...that turbo is good for 700. The turbo lag sucks. Get a smaller turbo and have way less lag.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Charper732
Would help if you did some research before asking the question.....especially since you just stated you know this has been beaten to death. Why would you go with a 6262 when you want 500 hp...that turbo is good for 700. The turbo lag sucks. Get a smaller turbo and have way less lag.
Hey man, firstly thank you for the suggestion on going smaller than a 6262, I see a lot of people run it so I figured that would be a good option. But yes, I think I have read every possible forum on this site and others about this comparison. I would also like to hear from some people who have owned both to give an honest comparison. What I kept hearing from the other comparisons is that the s2000 turbo is squirly under all that power and some say unreliable. Also I should have stated in the OP, I don't need 4 doors and extra space for luggage, looking at this purely from a drivers comparison.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:45 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

EVO will be easier to accomplish what you want; S2K will be significantly more work. They are very different cars....think you need to make a few critical decisions first.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
EVO will be easier to accomplish what you want; S2K will be significantly more work. They are very different cars....think you need to make a few critical decisions first.
What kind of decisions?
I mean when I was pricing these two hypothetical builds out, each came out to be about the same. The evo, would need a built transfer case as the s2k needs a diff conversion. Aside from the head gasket on the s2000, both would need 4 larger injectors, turbo kits, better cooling, standalone, bigger fuel pumps/rails. I just can't seem to see where the prices differ the most. If you could possibly point out some areas I am missing? Thanks
Old 02-27-2018, 09:28 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

S2000 does not need a headgasket change for a reliable 500whp. Diff is up in the air, depends on how you drive it, but to be safe its not a bad idea.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:32 AM

Oh wow was not aware of that! Thank you for the heads up. I know you may be biased on this topic as you have a very clean s2k yourself, but if you were in my shoes, what would you pick?
Old 02-27-2018, 09:34 AM

There is typically an advantage to an OEM turbo car vs aftermarket when it comes to reliability. Things like oil feeds and drains and nice when they are engineered from the factory. I agree that you need to make up your mind with what drivetrain layout you want, you're comparing apples to oranges.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Huf2k
Oh wow was not aware of that! Thank you for the heads up. I know you may be biased on this topic as you have a very clean s2k yourself, but if you were in my shoes, what would you pick?
I'm no S2000 fanboy, but I cut my teeth on Subarus, so naturally I'm not a fan Mitsubishi products and their FWD style AWD system, so the choice is clear to me.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:43 AM

Understandable, I too quite dislike how their AWD system is more FWD biased. Would much rather have a DCCD option on an evo but hey, what can ya do? The oil feed and returns on the s2000, would you recommend changing those as well when going turbo? Also, I have heard a bit about baffled sumps for the s2000, would that also need to be a purchased when converting to turbo?

Quick Reply: Sorry, Evo 9 vs Turbo s2k