S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Sorry, Evo 9 vs Turbo s2k

Old 02-27-2018, 10:46 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Huf2k
Understandable, I too quite dislike how their AWD system is more FWD biased. Would much rather have a DCCD option on an evo but hey, what can ya do? The oil feed and returns on the s2000, would you recommend changing those as well when going turbo? Also, I have heard a bit about baffled sumps for the s2000, would that also need to be a purchased when converting to turbo?
To go turbo on a NA application those are things you have to add; the S2K does not have oil feed/drain lines from factory for a turbo (or coolant feed/drain lines for that matter if you get a water cooled unit).

As for needing a transfer case for a EVO, yeh only if you launch it and put big impacts into the drivetrain. If you're just doing road racing or street driving it shouldn't be a big deal. To that matter, you could also just think about going for 400whp on an EVO with the stock turbo. It's pretty easy to achieve and you can do the tuning via an ETuner if you'd like. It can be cheaper than doing a dyno session.

The EVO's AWD may be FWD based, but it is still a hell of a system. I still own a Mazdaspeed6, which uses a PTO system (Fwd base); I believe in that system for all around uses.

As for what I posed to you before you need to decide:
- Do you want awd or rwd?
- Can you live with a Mitsubishi interior?
- Are you good at trouble shooting / good engine / tuning knowledge? S2K will require a bit more as things will not be quite as straight forward as they are on the EVO when it comes to making it Forced Induction and making that type of power. There's a decent amount extra to do when converting a NA to FI compared to just modifying a FI.
- Do you want more torque or more revs?
- What is the purpose of the vehicle? Just for fun? Road Racing? Drag Racing? This will dictate how much of a PIA either one of these vehicles will be to get and keep it at that level reliably.
- Either vehicle will in the end will roughly cost about the same amount to accomplish a street version of what you want; going for competition and this will change. How much are you willing to spend on this?
- Will you be driving this in the snow? Bad weather?
- Can you afford to replace a motor if either of these projects go south.

Just some honest questions from a person who has been through this stuff time and time again.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
To go turbo on a NA application those are things you have to add; the S2K does not have oil feed/drain lines from factory for a turbo (or coolant feed/drain lines for that matter if you get a water cooled unit).

As for needing a transfer case for a EVO, yeh only if you launch it and put big impacts into the drivetrain. If you're just doing road racing or street driving it shouldn't be a big deal. To that matter, you could also just think about going for 400whp on an EVO with the stock turbo. It's pretty easy to achieve and you can do the tuning via an ETuner if you'd like. It can be cheaper than doing a dyno session.

The EVO's AWD may be FWD based, but it is still a hell of a system. I still own a Mazdaspeed6, which uses a PTO system (Fwd base); I believe in that system for all around uses.

As for what I posed to you before you need to decide:
- Do you want awd or rwd?
- Can you live with a Mitsubishi interior?
- Are you good at trouble shooting / good engine / tuning knowledge? S2K will require a bit more as things will not be quite as straight forward as they are on the EVO when it comes to making it Forced Induction and making that type of power. There's a decent amount extra to do when converting a NA to FI compared to just modifying a FI.
- Do you want more torque or more revs?
- What is the purpose of the vehicle? Just for fun? Road Racing? Drag Racing? This will dictate how much of a PIA either one of these vehicles will be to get and keep it at that level reliably.
- Either vehicle will in the end will roughly cost about the same amount to accomplish a street version of what you want; going for competition and this will change. How much are you willing to spend on this?
- Will you be driving this in the snow? Bad weather?
- Can you afford to replace a motor if either of these projects go south.

Just some honest questions from a person who has been through this stuff time and time again.
Thank you! So I was completely unaware of the fact that I would need oil feed/returns. I just figured they were there, but thinking about it now makes sense because it is N/A from the factory. Your questions really have me leaning to the sk2. I would rather a rwd and possibility for simple drifts, (would require an angle kit for the s2k because of low steering angle). I love the interior of the s2k, and since I am only 5'-8" I have no problem fitting in one. I would like to think I am well read in the area of troubleshooting and fixing engine issues, I don't know anything about tuning but am planning to get it professionally done. I am fine with waiting for the turbo to kick in because of the low torque (I think its what makes the car fun to drive). The car would be just a fun to drive car, I will have another car in case of problems with the s2k/evo, but the s2k would be my primary driver. This means that I would have to drive it in rain, but I am hoping a low boost setting will make it easier to drive in the wet. As for budget, I have roughly 28k, but I don't have the car yet. I can find a clean s2k ap2 on craigslist for just around 15,000, leaving me 13,000 for upgrades. Though I am willing to drive the car stock through college because of extra expenses. After college and I am financially structured, I would like to spend about 20,000 on mods to the car.

Do you think this will be enough? Thank you again!
Old 02-27-2018, 01:00 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Huf2k
Thank you! So I was completely unaware of the fact that I would need oil feed/returns. I just figured they were there, but thinking about it now makes sense because it is N/A from the factory. Your questions really have me leaning to the sk2. I would rather a rwd and possibility for simple drifts, (would require an angle kit for the s2k because of low steering angle). I love the interior of the s2k, and since I am only 5'-8" I have no problem fitting in one. I would like to think I am well read in the area of troubleshooting and fixing engine issues, I don't know anything about tuning but am planning to get it professionally done. I am fine with waiting for the turbo to kick in because of the low torque (I think its what makes the car fun to drive). The car would be just a fun to drive car, I will have another car in case of problems with the s2k/evo, but the s2k would be my primary driver. This means that I would have to drive it in rain, but I am hoping a low boost setting will make it easier to drive in the wet. As for budget, I have roughly 28k, but I don't have the car yet. I can find a clean s2k ap2 on craigslist for just around 15,000, leaving me 13,000 for upgrades. Though I am willing to drive the car stock through college because of extra expenses. After college and I am financially structured, I would like to spend about 20,000 on mods to the car.

Do you think this will be enough? Thank you again!
You don't need an angle kit for "simple drifts". I'm not sure you've done the research you think you have at this point. You'll be at the limit of your budget with $13,000 if you want to do things right.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah your probably right, you guys are bringing up stuff I haven't even thought of yet! For what I have purposed in terms of hp and reliability, is there a number that sounds more reasonable for mods?
Old 02-27-2018, 10:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do a search on the Ptuning turbo kit. They just re-released their kit which has high quality parts. You don’t need to change out the head gasket for 500whp on a stock block, but you need good fuel and tune. For a beefed up diff, you can get a beefed up one a puddymod one.
The following users liked this post:
Ptuning (09-24-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 02:46 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you tried driving each of the cars you’re looking at? That might help you make a clearer decision.
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (02-28-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 11:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dont compare the cars the way you are, on which is easier, which requires what parts. You need to ask yourself what you want out of the car, which car appeals to you more, and why you want it to have 500hp

Example you want?
1st off, i hate evo's, i think they are ugly. would never drive one. 2nd i have no use for 4 doors. 3rd, 500hp for what? to say i have 500hp? i can buy dyno sheet for $500. its the performance i want. i want a 9 second car, 150mph traps.

can each car do it? yup, in the end will it cost about the same? yup, will it be such a pita on both, yup. so then revert back to what car, and why
Old 03-01-2018, 11:23 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Buy an S2000. Learn to drive it. See what you like about the car. Modify the car to your liking. Enjoy!

Supercharging is way easier, but still expensive when done right.