S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

SOS 3" Pulley - Cut Grooves Photo

Old 03-19-2019, 02:38 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Bad idea, all it does is sand down your belt, and if you still have any amount of slip, plan on the belt breaking in no time. You dont want a sand paper surface on a rubber belt.

You will always have some amount of belt slip by design unless its a cogged system, and those have their own set of issues, like breaking things.
Did you read the article?
Here is a little bit of it
"While the coating sounds like it may be harsh on the belt Towns says they actually tested it thoroughly on a supercharged Mustang for a few years prior to offering the service to enthusiasts. “We ran the same belt for a couple of years, took the car to the track, drove it on the street, etc.” That car was on a ’03 Cobra that had its blower pulley machined smaller than anything commercially available so that the Carbinite crew could test their coating on a pulley that offered minimal surface area. “This was a litmus test. Minimal amount of wrap angle and surface area, maximum blower RPM.”

I have not used one of these pulleys (Carbinite) but I do have many years with a cut pulley(2.9"), and the cut pulley ate my belts way faster than a standard made 3" pulley. Stock for my car was 3.8". For around $100 I wouldn't hesitate to try one. But I'm an old hot rodder that likes to try new and old hot rod tricks on my cars. If it works, great if not I'm out a pulley and $100, thats cheap in my book.

Rod
Old 03-19-2019, 03:10 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by rrounds
Did you read the article?
Here is a little bit of it
"While the coating sounds like it may be harsh on the belt Towns says they actually tested it thoroughly on a supercharged Mustang for a few years prior to offering the service to enthusiasts. “We ran the same belt for a couple of years, took the car to the track, drove it on the street, etc.” That car was on a ’03 Cobra that had its blower pulley machined smaller than anything commercially available so that the Carbinite crew could test their coating on a pulley that offered minimal surface area. “This was a litmus test. Minimal amount of wrap angle and surface area, maximum blower RPM.”

I have not used one of these pulleys (Carbinite) but I do have many years with a cut pulley(2.9"), and the cut pulley ate my belts way faster than a standard made 3" pulley. Stock for my car was 3.8". For around $100 I wouldn't hesitate to try one. But I'm an old hot rodder that likes to try new and old hot rod tricks on my cars. If it works, great if not I'm out a pulley and $100, thats cheap in my book.

Rod
No I didn't need to, im familiar with it. Its been run on a supercharged S2k on a road course (not a hot rod that does 6k rpm in 1/4 spurts)and the guy couldn't get more then a 20min sessions out of his belt before the pulley ate through it. Unfortunately its the only documented case on s2ki im aware of, but logically it makes sense. I've run cross cut pulleys on my Supercharged S and never had a problem with rapid belt wear. My statement was based on some experience and logic, unfortunately that appears contrary to your information.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 03-19-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:57 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The Carbinite coating has been tried several times by members on the CTS-V forums with the same belt-destroying results. Cut pulleys are a similar, though less harsh version which will also eventually eat your belt. The rubber formulations are designed to grip smooth sheaves.

There are really only two ways to increase the grip that the V or multi-V belt will have on a given size of pulley without drastically shorter life: Increasing tension (which has it's own problems elsewhere in the system) or increasing surface contact area (more ribs/belt wrap).

Edit* If you are interested in modifying your supercharger drive, we offer free tools and design tips on the Gates website. Example: https://www.gates.com/us/en/resource...gn-IQ-software
Old 03-20-2019, 02:26 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Sobe_Death
There are really only two ways to increase the grip that the V or multi-V belt will have on a given size of pulley without drastically shorter life: Increasing tension (which has it's own problems elsewhere in the system) or increasing surface contact area (more ribs/belt wrap).
I chose to increase the belt tension with the acceptable anticipation of bearing issues. After many years, I have yet to have an issue. On the other hand, there is sufficient room on the back of the mounting plate to install a fixed idler pulley on the SOS supercharger to increase wrap by what looks like about 10°+ of additional coverage. I may do this when and if I encounter tensioner pulley or impeller bearing issues with the high level of tension that I'm using.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:53 PM
Community Organizer

Just run a bigger crank pulley so you can increase the size of blower pulley to maintain desired boost if its a big issue. I never had a problem with a 3.2, but did have minor slip in 1st gear due to the rate of engine spool up, but didnt matter because the tires couldn't handle it regardless. 1st gear is unless when you get up over 400whp. 2nd gear i want full belt grip and did. I cross cut my own grooves on a custom 2.7" pulley I ran on my old NV1000 for a period of time before moving to the 1200.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:41 PM
Lex

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Just run a bigger crank pulley so you can increase the size of blower pulley to maintain desired boost if its a big issue. I never had a problem with a 3.2, but did have minor slip in 1st gear due to the rate of engine spool up, but didnt matter because the tires couldn't handle it regardless. 1st gear is unless when you get up over 400whp. 2nd gear i want full belt grip and did. I cross cut my own grooves on a custom 2.7" pulley I ran on my old NV1000 for a period of time before moving to the 1200.
So what size crank pulley would be necessary to achieve similar PSI to be expected with a typical 3.2" pulley on a N1200?
Old 03-25-2019, 08:04 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Lex
So what size crank pulley would be necessary to achieve similar PSI to be expected with a typical 3.2" pulley on a N1200?
Dont recall exactly, like I said I never had to run one because I had no slip issue with a 3.2, but some have and there is info on this if you do a basic search. Its going to be similar to a vortech system because they run a larger 6" crank pulley. Its likely going to be moving to a 3.6"- 3.8" sc pulley combo. I believe you can run up to a 6.5 crank pulley before there is water pump interference. That will put you even larger on the sc pulley.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 03-25-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The 3" pulley was slipping a bit on the dyno past 8k RPM, but I tightened it a bit more and it seems OK on the street. I'll get the laptop connected soon and get a log of boost through the gears to check, though. If I'm still losing boost, I'll pick up a Dremel and get some cutting done.