S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

SOS Supercharger Kit FAQ Sticky

Old 09-04-2011, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Would be nice to get more data on the NV1500. I'm starting to question if it might be a better option over the 1200 for more output capability, wile determining/weighing out any possible negatives such as added parasitic losses/efficiency range, any custom machining/parts to make fit/work etc.

ILoveMyHonda1984 made less power with the N1500 over the N1200 using a 3.0" pulley it wasn't until he spun the N1500 with a 2.6" pulley did he actually out perform the N1200.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just got back last night from Evans Tuning. Jeff Evans is the BOMB! but then anyone who has worked with him already knows that. My set up is AP1, SOS charger, Novi 1220, 3.8" pulley, 10 lb boost. I previously had the stock 6 lb pulley with the SOS piggyback FVM controller on the stock ECU. While that system made some power, I was disappointed with the results. Since I had always planned on uping the boost, I opted to do it earlier rather than later on this winter. I was not disappointed witht he change, but the journey has had some interesting learning situations.

I purchased the AEM series 2 ECU, wide band controller and two series gauges, and 1000cc injectors from Evans Tuning and arranged for there install and tune this last Friday at 10:00 am. He was also to install the 3.8" pulley, new belt and gauge pod supplied by SOS. both vendors are great, dependable people - ( to both). The install did not go smoothly! the first problem was I forgot to bring my stock Fuel Regulator for the conversion to 1000 cc injectors that Jeff installed. Jeff eventually came up with one, which allowed the tune to happen, but it did delay the process. then, after the gauges and ECU were installed, Jeff came across something he has never seen. the AEM series 2 ECU was counting 25 teeth on the crank. Jeff spent the time installing another unit he had tested with to verifiy the problem, and it seemed to work well. But at 8:00 PM, after the final street tune and with everything seemingly working ok, literally as I was preparing to leave for home (a 4 hour drive), the car refused to start!

Jeff checked it out and now this second ECU was counting an additional tooth on the crank! Stangely, the car would start on the stock ECU. anyway, I spent an additional night, Jeff replace the crank sensor, without any change in results. His last ditch effort was to try a Series one ECU, and at 5 PM last night my car was working VERY WELL. A power chart of the first tune on the Series 2 unit, (before fail) and the final dyno on the series one are below.

final tune 354 hp 211 lb/ft
Old 09-04-2011, 04:36 PM

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

I updated the first post.

Ill be adding things related to this later on, along with the BLV from 928
Perhaps, such things as
-what is a wideband and why do I need it? How do you install such a thing? What gauges are truly needed?
-what else does one need to buy beyond the base kit. Do they have the skills to install it, and if not, how much should it run
-for those using standalones, how do you know if the person tuning it is any good? I know with the base kit, there's way fewer variables.
-best injector sizes for a given power level
-best impeller for a given power level (not everyone is best with the 1200)
Old 09-04-2011, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what sort of problems have the self lubricated blowers had over the oil feed ones? im new at this supercharging thing but doesnt self lub mean cooler oil temps for the engine amoung other advantages? i would think to keep the oil seperate would be better. the rotrex blower in the kraftwerks kits is self lub.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If I had to guess, it would be that the oil in the self-lube kit gets hot and has no way to cool down effectively and breaks down.

While it could mean cooler temps for the air charge, that may be short-lived as the blower heats up. As for the engine, maybe cooler oil, but I think the benefits of having engine oil cool the blower exceed the higher oil temps the engine may or may not have as a result.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:02 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks for starting this thread Rain H8r
Old 09-05-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by steven975
If I had to guess, it would be that the oil in the self-lube kit gets hot and has no way to cool down effectively and breaks down.

While it could mean cooler temps for the air charge, that may be short-lived as the blower heats up. As for the engine, maybe cooler oil, but I think the benefits of having engine oil cool the blower exceed the higher oil temps the engine may or may not have as a result.
I agree, I also think that there is an issue because just under a pint of lubricant is inside the SL blowers. Perhaps when cornering in the S2000 the oil is hung up on the side of the blower and cannot lubricate everything.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jack_in_the_Box
thanks for starting this thread Rain H8r
Old 09-06-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by RAIN H8R
Thanks for the support of the thread! I still have things to add

-more info on what you'll need to make a custom intake, and what you'll have to do to make it work.
-928 Motorsports BLV
-Richard Racing pulleys
-Direct links to SOS pages to buy parts
-recommended injectors
-recommenced fuel pumps
-recommenced engine managements
- If I can ever get my BLV to work, I'll share the results here.
- Recommended injectors are ID1000's in most cases. I'm happy with mine. Exceptions would be a built motor with crazy high boost, or a base kit that doesn't need big injectors.
- Engine management options from an ECU standpoint are:
- AEM, by far the most popular among owners and tuners.
- Hondata, which should help you pass emissions.
- Greddy E-manage Ultimate, which does help pass emissions.

The Greddy is not very popular because most tuners don't know how to tune it. And because it's a piggyback, which apparently doesn't allow as much control / capability as the others. But with that said, I'm happily running it and it works great. The car drives great and I've passed emissions twice with it.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:52 AM

If anyone has any info on an intake restrictor as opposed to the boost limited valve, that would nice.

Quick Reply: SOS Supercharger Kit FAQ Sticky