S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

SoS TS kit injector harness issue

Old 05-21-2014, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SoS TS kit injector harness issue

As some of you who’ve been following this build may recall LINK TO MY BUILD, my S had been experiencing an intermittent but chronic hesitation under throttle for quite some time now. Until recently, I’ve just assumed that it was due to the winter blend or simply the tune not adjusting well to the climate and other environmental factors since having her back for almost 10 months. SoS had been responsive in providing recommendations, and I was confident (in the beginning) that this would be resolved quickly. After changing out the plugs and gapped them lower as recommended, the issue still persisted. But since it’s not my dd, I decided to wait until the weather warmed up with the summer blend before investing more time and resources.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, when the weather has gotten warmer and the S is starting to be driven more. The problem has progressively gotten worse to the point where it threw blinking CEL with massive misfires on cylinder #4, along with other random misfires. I proceeded to replace my coils with a new set, since the symptoms match what others have experienced in the community. When that failed, I decided to have her towed to a reputable Honda dealership to be looked at by a highly recommended tech.

Here are their findings:

I’m the first to admit that my mechanical knowledge and abilities are very limited. That was one of the main reasons to have my S shipped to SOS for them to install and tune their TS 30R kit in the first place. I also understand that these are aftermarket components that may affect the durability and reliability of the vehicle, but I believe this could’ve been prevented if it was disclosed to the customers as to what to look out due to some of the installation challenges it faced. I was sold on how well this kit would integrate and work “with oem reliability and durability”. But honestly, I was baffled and shocked by Honda’s findings.

Prior to sharing this with the community, I’ve been fully engaged with Chris @ SoS on the problems its been having. I feel that the support had been great right up to the point where the issue was discovered (not my first issue, but that's even more off topic). Once I informed them of the findings, I was hoping for a simple apology or admission to the mistake. I don’t expect them to compensate me, but if they want to do something nice for all the money and hassle I’ve dumped into this “oversight” to keep me as a loyal and returning client, that would’ve gone a long ways to amend this.

Nope, all I got was “The adapter harnesses are indeed difficult to fit under the injector cover. If you have a problem, please let me know.”
Yes, I had a problem. Heck, I may still have a problem even after spending close to a grand replacing various components, towing it, and paying Honda to track down the issue. But that’s the name of the game when you’re not stock. However, I would expect better workmanship from a shop with such confidence in their ability, who also extensively tracked and street tested this setup, to overlooked an installation error such as this.

I still love this kit, but my confidence in how reliable or durable it is as a result of the product or the installation has certainly taken a hit. So for those installing this kit, or having SoS install this kit, pay particular attention to how the injector harness gets installed. Don't learn it the hard way like I did.

/end rant
Old 05-21-2014, 11:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So this adapter harness was pushed under the cover and it caused a wire on the injector to come loose?
Old 05-21-2014, 11:27 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Ouch that sucks man and ya I'd be pissed myself. Good to hear you got it sorted out though. It seems like people have problems with those damn injector harnesses. Thanks for sharing with everyone though so we know to look out for this issue as well.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:07 PM

What injectors are you using? All the aftermarket injector PnP harnesses have issues and isn't uncommon (if that's what the issue was).
Old 05-21-2014, 02:00 PM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Seems like an easy fix. It is very common for The plug and play injected harness adapters to have issues. When a car is moded so heavily you as the owner need to be able to trouble should simple problems like this. If you can't fix something as simple as this and you can't install a simple bolt on turbo kit. Then I see you parting out and selling the car very soon or I see you spending crazy amounts of $$ for labor. A turbo s2000 will always have minor issues. Wether it be over heating issues, bolts backing out, fitting leaking, ems issues, cooling issues you as the owner of such a serious moded car need to be able to just throw the car on jack stands and fix it. If you can't I don't see you having or enjoying a high powered turbo s2000 for very long.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mark --

Thank you for the clarification. The time gap between hearing from you has been so long, I assumed we were speaking of different issues.

I reviewed my e-mails.

11/20: I suggested a diagnosis step
2/4: you let us know this did not work
2/13: I offered to remote in to setup and check logs, for whatever reason, I didn't hear back from you

This next step would have allowed me to complete the diagnosis from seeing cylinder mis-fire codes - it's been more than 3 months since we've last spoken about this.

I hope you understand that diagnosing an issue requires some back and forth - especially if we do not have the convenience of having the car in our facility to look at. I have offered our services to help you diagnose the issue. Not having the car in front of us is difficult, but we're willing to work through the steps to diagnose the issue. You decided to not allow us to complete the diagnosis process, and to say that we're being unresponsive and unhelpful in a public forum is unfair, and inaccurate.

We've stood by our products and services for more than 12 years now - but we need feedback from you to help you understand and help diagnose an issue. We're always here via phone or e-mail if you have a problem or concern.

regards,
-- Chris
Old 05-21-2014, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by riceball777
Seems like an easy fix. It is very common for The plug and play injected harness adapters to have issues. When a car is moded so heavily you as the owner need to be able to trouble should simple problems like this. If you can't fix something as simple as this and you can't install a simple bolt on turbo kit. Then I see you parting out and selling the car very soon or I see you spending crazy amounts of $$ for labor. A turbo s2000 will always have minor issues. Wether it be over heating issues, bolts backing out, fitting leaking, ems issues, cooling issues you as the owner of such a serious moded car need to be able to just throw the car on jack stands and fix it. If you can't I don't see you having or enjoying a high powered turbo s2000 for very long.
+1 Everyone who considers FI needs to read this exact statement. Well said.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ScienceofSpeed
Mark --

Thank you for the clarification. The time gap between hearing from you has been so long, I assumed we were speaking of different issues.

I reviewed my e-mails.

11/20: I suggested a diagnosis step
2/4: you let us know this did not work
2/13: I offered to remote in to setup and check logs, for whatever reason, I didn't hear back from you

This next step would have allowed me to complete the diagnosis from seeing cylinder mis-fire codes - it's been more than 3 months since we've last spoken about this.

I hope you understand that diagnosing an issue requires some back and forth - especially if we do not have the convenience of having the car in our facility to look at. I have offered our services to help you diagnose the issue. Not having the car in front of us is difficult, but we're willing to work through the steps to diagnose the issue. You decided to not allow us to complete the diagnosis process, and to say that we're being unresponsive and unhelpful in a public forum is unfair, and inaccurate.

We've stood by our products and services for more than 12 years now - but we need feedback from you to help you understand and help diagnose an issue. We're always here via phone or e-mail if you have a problem or concern.

regards,
-- Chris
Chris,

Since you're reviewing those emails, please note that I've not received the wastegate actuators brackets or recalibrated map as promised from 11/20, even after the follow up on 2/7 with my address.

Perhaps there's been a misunderstanding of my original post as I actually complimented the service SoS provided up to the point of discovering the root cause. At no point did I publicly say that SOS had been unresponsive and unhelpful. That, I feel, is unfair and inaccurate accusation on a public forum.

I still feel that SOS offers great product and services. That being said, the cold response I received AFTER informing SOS that the harness was improperly installed gives off the perception that a business can do no wrong, even when mistakes are made or discovered. Had I received an admission or an apology for all the trouble, my latest feedback on this kit would've been a case of a vendor displaying integrity and excellence customer service.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Its been saod already, but all PnP harnesses for these aftermarket injectors are extremely hit-or-miss, trending towards the miss. It doesn't matter who you buy them from or who installs them. It also doesn't matter how long they may work; they can start causing issues with no warning. I'm on my third set myself. My first set worked fine on the dyno and for a few weeks afterwards. Then suddenly I developed misfire issues out of nowhere and tracked it down to the harnesses. My second set failed on installation when one of the pins popped out of the connector. My third set is going on a year now without issues.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hi Mark -- I'm sorry if you felt my response was cold - certainly it was not intended. I also do not want to give you the impression that installation could not have caused the harness to malfunction. However, with out being involved in diagnosing the issue I also don't feel that we can assume the issue was with installation (perhaps for example as stated by others there is another issue such as with the part).

That being said, if you have any further problems or questions - please don't hesitate to reach out to us - we're as committed to selling fine products as we are to supporting them.

Quick Reply: SoS TS kit injector harness issue