S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

SPAL Extreme performance fan installed

Old 07-26-2010, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^very cool(no pun there).

iv been doing scca(as a tech and shop fabricator, not driver) for a while. im in central florida, so Sebring is a Given, some trips to VIR, and Moroso.

thanks for the heads up on the PWR. ill let my Boss know. he's the type to Try&Test something, and if it passes with flying colors, use it on everything and not worry about trying something else. but the pwr is especially nice for miatas then to have the oil cooler built in. the upgraded rx7 oil coolers are like radiators, absolutely massive, so they will stay separate. we take oem rx7 coolers and use them on the miatas.

very cool. glad to meet a s2000 racer. i see plenty of EK civics, some beat up ol' EF's too. not many s2ks unless they are SC(in an SPO class or similar).
Old 07-26-2010, 05:57 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by teamvalorracing,Jul 26 2010, 08:01 AM
the upgraded rx7 oil coolers are like radiators, absolutely massive,
rotary oil temps are critical.

Have a buddy that races Rotary's (RX8, just starting to get into the Porsche racing and has many years racing and building the MX-5s 3 car team)

Upgraded dual Rotary oil coolers + a large Laminova oil cooler on the lower radiator hose = near perfect oil temps in the summer
in winter diverted goes into the Laminova to control actual heat transfer = perfect oil temps in the winter. because in the winter the radiator is used to actually heat the oil back up because the Air based oil coolers are so efficient in the winter that just those bring down the oil temp to far.
A secondary effect is the water going back in to the motor is cooled off a bit more then what the radiator can do.
It takes a little while for the oil to come up to temp but once there is stable to within 2-5 deg F
+ no oil stat so no valve to fail closed on the track.

I have an email into PWR AU to get info on pricing (with shipping) and availability
Old 07-26-2010, 08:40 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Just got a reply from PWR.

914 UDS to get the 44mm core with a 16psi cap with shipping from Austrailia.
The Fed EX shipping is $225 (ouch)
NO FANS
The drawing they sent me indicates the 44mm core is setup up for the OEM FANS.
CAD drawing does not show the oil cooler so I have asked for clarification on the oil cooler.

They also mentioned the 55mm core will “over heat” for a street car as it is intended for all out race cars.…
Only reason I can think it would “over heat” on the street would be the thickness of the radiator is so thick that the speed/pressure diff of the cooling air at “normal” street speed is not sufficient to get adequate air flow/mass flow all the way through the thicker radiator.

Come to find out that the co drivers shut the car down in the pits between runs/driver swaps and this caused the water to heat soak. And there was not sufficient time between the paddock and the start of the next run to get the temps down. Thus the water temp continued to climb as each run continued.
I was runing timing and scoring or I would have caught the temp rise.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fan part n°

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087
I finally got around to installing SPAL's extreme performance 12" fan to replace the stock 12" radiator fan. SPAL claims it's the most powerful 12" fan in the world and I honestly wouldn't doubt them.

When it turns on, it can actually blow your hand back if you dangle it in front of it. I'd say it's even more powerful than the stock 14" fan as well. Only real downside is price. MSRP is over 200 dollars and you WILL need their high output relay kit (ask me how I know ) that comes with a 60A fuse and a 220(?) amp relay.

Now onto actual performance. The fans stay on for only half the time that they used to. Also while driving, the fans no longer struggle to bring the radiator temps down if they get high enough to trigger the fans to come on.

Why do I say aftermarket radiator people read? Well after installing this fan, I've noticed that at highway ish speeds (50+mph), my coolant temps actually drop?! I know I know, they are supposed to anyway because of ram air effect....well with a thick FMIC and whatever else, it didn't happen before. Still trying to figure out why they do now...the fan isn't any larger or smaller so not sure how that has increased cooling to my rad yet but either way it's a welcome addition.
Hi,
I'm italian and I live in Italy. I contacted Span S.r.l. but they told me there is no specific fan for my S2000. I have a Koyo radiator. Which part number is your fan?
Thanks
Old 06-06-2018, 07:41 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Back from the dead...BUT I still run the same fan so you're in luck (and thanks gmail search functions!)

VA01-AP90/VLL-66A Fan (12" VHP w/MetriPack 630) is what comes up on my old invoice. It's not specific for any car, it's just a 12" cooling fan. Remember you'll need the high output relay kit as well.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey mate, I have the SPAL Extreme fan and my car stalls sometimes when the fan turns on. I would have thought my tuner installed that high output relay kit.
Would stalling still happen sometimes with a relay kit?
Old 06-06-2018, 05:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MARK AUS S2K
Hey mate, I have the SPAL Extreme fan and my car stalls sometimes when the fan turns on. I would have thought my tuner installed that high output relay kit.
Would stalling still happen sometimes with a relay kit?
i know for my 2 13" spal curved fans with relay kits, the car almost dies when both fans turn on at the same time. however, my tuner tuned my ecu to idle a few hundred rpms higher so it doesnt stall no matter what conditions.
The following users liked this post:
MARK AUS S2K (06-13-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 10:23 PM

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

I got a pwm fan controller from a ford in the junkyard. It will soft start my 2 11" spal extreme fans. I never have an issue with rpm drop or stalling. It has been setup on my car like this for a couple years now (on aem v2).
Old 06-08-2018, 05:46 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

The high output relay kit just allows you to actually use the fan. If you tried starting these bad boys on the stock wiring, you'll just blow the fuses everytime.

If your car is stalling, the tune needs to be adjusted to handle the extra electral load assuming you're tuned. I would assume the stock ECU can handle the load.
The following users liked this post:
MARK AUS S2K (06-13-2018)