S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Forced Induction (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/)
-   -   SPAL Fans on OEM Radiator w/ SOS Kit (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/spal-fans-oem-radiator-w-sos-kit-1192977/)

Lex 04-01-2019 05:23 PM

SPAL Fans on OEM Radiator w/ SOS Kit

Can anyone recommend a good slim or low profile SPAL fan (or equilvalent) that will connect directly onto the OEM Radiator and OEM wire connections without any modifications that will provide more clearance so that I can fit a CAI for my SOS kit. The fan needs to meet the following criteria:

1. Must provide equal to or better airflow over OEM fans
2. Provides more clearance in order to squeeze a CAI pipe down
3. Does not require additional relays, connections to batteries, etc.

Does this fan exist?? If so, what model would work?

Thanks!

Kyle 04-01-2019 11:32 PM

There's no SPAL fans as far as I know that are a direct fit for the mounting points on the OEM radiator, let alone being able to be plug and play; you'd need to cut the connectors off of the OEM fans for that.

hecash 04-02-2019 12:46 AM

Why not do your CAI right through the large aperture in the inner-right fender?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...936cc1f7c2.jpg

Lex 04-02-2019 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle (Post 24584685)
There's no SPAL fans as far as I know that are a direct fit for the mounting points on the OEM radiator, let alone being able to be plug and play; you'd need to cut the connectors off of the OEM fans for that.

Wow really? Are their any other aftermarket radiator fans that will work and fit this criteria?

Lex 04-02-2019 01:17 PM

Never thought about this approach. Did you rig that up from an comptech icebox intake? Does it actually pull cooler air?

Originally Posted by hecash (Post 24584689)

outeiroj 04-02-2019 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by hecash (Post 24584689)

what strut bar is that, and also curious about the airbox

hecash 04-03-2019 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lex (Post 24584986)
Never thought about this approach. Did you rig that up from an comptech icebox intake? Does it actually pull cooler air?

Yes, it's a modified Comptech Ice Box. Yes, it does pull cool air from the fender well.

hecash 04-03-2019 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by outeiroj (Post 24585051)
what strut bar is that, and also curious about the airbox

The strut bar is the original Comptech strut bar that they issued in late 2000. It came with a red glow anodized finish. I blasted it, had it powder-coated and added an original semi-transparent Comptech logo (not visible in the photo) that I've had in my sticker box since 2000.

I actually lost the original one that I bought during a tech day when I was changing coilovers. I hope that whomever has it is taking good care of it. Then I replaced it with a quick pick up to make a track day at Mid Ohio in 2002. I have a photo of that "temporary" strut bar.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...b01458118c.jpg

riceball777 04-03-2019 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lex (Post 24584611)
Can anyone recommend a good slim or low profile SPAL fan (or equilvalent) that will connect directly onto the OEM Radiator and OEM wire connections without any modifications that will provide more clearance so that I can fit a CAI for my SOS kit. The fan needs to meet the following criteria:

1. Must provide equal to or better airflow over OEM fans
2. Provides more clearance in order to squeeze a CAI pipe down
3. Does not require additional relays, connections to batteries, etc.

Does this fan exist?? If so, what model would work?

Thanks!

what your asking does not exist. I have personally owned and used every single different spal fan.

First there are no after market fans with bolt up to the s2000 without you making custom mounts and there are none that come pre wired with oem fan plugs that will just plug into the oem stock fan harness. The exception would be the mishimoto slim fans with the fan shroud. The will bolt up but you will still have to wire them in but they flow like crap. Significantly flows less than stock.

The only spal fans that give you more clearance than the stock fans are the low profile and the medium profile line of spal fans. These fans and all low profile fans at best flow as good as stock but not better. I would say the spam medium profile fans flow about equal to stock but the spal low profile line of fans do flow less than stock. It the medium profile and low profile fans do not require you to run aftermarket relays and do not need you to wire them to the battery. Fans that flow better than stock are the high performance and the extreme performance line of spal fans. These fans are not low profile and require aftermarket relays and must be wired directly to the battery. If they flow crazy amounts of air. Much more than stock.

if you really need more clearance I would try a spal 12 inch medium profile fan to replace the oem fan that has clearance issues. Try to keep the other side with the oem fan if you can. Wiring is super easy. You just cut off the oem connector on the oem fan that your replacing and solder the 2 wires with the oem connector to the spal fan. You will need to make custom mounts.

Lex 04-08-2019 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by riceball777 (Post 24585614)
what your asking does not exist. I have personally owned and used every single different spal fan.

First there are no after market fans with bolt up to the s2000 without you making custom mounts and there are none that come pre wired with oem fan plugs that will just plug into the oem stock fan harness. The exception would be the mishimoto slim fans with the fan shroud. The will bolt up but you will still have to wire them in but they flow like crap. Significantly flows less than stock.

The only spal fans that give you more clearance than the stock fans are the low profile and the medium profile line of spal fans. These fans and all low profile fans at best flow as good as stock but not better. I would say the spam medium profile fans flow about equal to stock but the spal low profile line of fans do flow less than stock. It the medium profile and low profile fans do not require you to run aftermarket relays and do not need you to wire them to the battery. Fans that flow better than stock are the high performance and the extreme performance line of spal fans. These fans are not low profile and require aftermarket relays and must be wired directly to the battery. If they flow crazy amounts of air. Much more than stock.

if you really need more clearance I would try a spal 12 inch medium profile fan to replace the oem fan that has clearance issues. Try to keep the other side with the oem fan if you can. Wiring is super easy. You just cut off the oem connector on the oem fan that your replacing and solder the 2 wires with the oem connector to the spal fan. You will need to make custom mounts.

Thanks for your feedback.

Just so I'm clear, are you saying I don't need to run a relay with the SPAL medium or Low Profile fans?

Also, if I change just the fan on the right side (passenger side), which SPAL fan do I get? The puller or pusher fan? That's with me keeping the OEM fan on the left side as you recommended.