S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Stage 1 InlinePro kit CHRA removal

Old 05-08-2017, 02:39 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Stage 1 InlinePro kit CHRA removal

Hey all

well after 11 years and 40k ish miles my gt35r needs a chra rebuild. I'm assuming it was more time than mileage that did the turbo in. But either way, I need to get the chra out. The 35 required frame modification so I don't think I can just remove the housings, I have to remove the whole turbo and log manifold. Unfortunately for me, I didn't originally install the kit so I didn't watch the process. For anyone who installed this kit, how did you get the manifold in? Did you attach the turbo assembly onto the bottom of the manifold and then drop the whole thing into place? I can think of any other way to do it but it sure looks tight!

any suggestions much appreciated!

jon
Old 05-08-2017, 09:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm sure its similar to my SOS kit. It will be easier to just drop everything. You could drop mani and then undo turbo from it maybe twist turbo up and forward but like I said easier to just pull everything.

So drop mani, drop VTEC solenoid, maybe even loosen engine mounts from bottom, clear stuff out the way. Jack engine up a lil you can use a friend to pull engine towards drivers side but twist Mani so turbo comes towards front and then slide forward, unless it just clears straight up but I doubt cause most compressor outlets will hit maybe during it's all scenario based. That should be a really good start tho. GL
Old 05-09-2017, 08:30 AM

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

whats your setup? I can help. im in middle of removing my setup to do hg
Old 05-12-2017, 07:34 PM

Stage 1 Inlinepro kit with gt35 upgrade.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You don't have to do anything with the engine mount or jack up the engine. Disconnect the downpipe, intercooler piping, coolant, oil lines, and vtec solenoid. Remove the cold side of the intercooler piping completely from the car to make life easy. Have something close by to catch the coolant so not to make a big mess. Then you have to take the turbo housing off of the turbo carefully not to damage the blades. That's done by removing the bolts on the backside of the housing. It's tight but it can be done. Once the cover is off unbolt the manifold from the motor. Now comes the fun part. Prepare yourself for the weight of the mani and turbo because it is pretty heavy if your aren't ready for it. Lean the manifold slightly towards the passenger fender once it is off the exhaust bolts and lift the mani and turbo slightly up and then move it forward and towards the front of the car. It takes a little maneuvering but there is enough space to slide it forward, again being careful not to damage the blades. Once the mani and turbo have cleared where the vtec solenoid was you should be able to lift it straight up and out of the car. Sounds harder than it really is but the more you do it the easier it becomes. You'll have to do it in the reverse order to get it back in. Don' t try to lift the mani and turbo straight out of the car when you get it off the exhaust studs as it will NOT work.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:00 AM

^ I didn't see your post till after the fact.

I successfully removed the entire turbo assembly (manifold+turbine+compressor) as 1 unit! However, it def was not the correct way to do it. I had to remove the valve cover, unbolt the engine mount, slightly jack the engine, remove down pipe, and curse a LOT but it did make it's way out.

Once the turbo was off, I took the compressor housing off (easy) and then struggled for about 2 days separating the CHRA from the turbine housing...after 10 years, it was welded on there. No idea how I would have been able to do that from under the car. Either way it's all apart now, CHRA has been sent out for replacement.

Getting it back together will be fun yet again...I'm hoping I'll be able to install manifold+turbine housing+CHRA as 1 unit and then get the compressor bolted up after. I'm thinking leave the manifold lose so I can get enough wiggle room to tighten up all of the compressor bolts from under the car.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:56 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Dear Lord lol. N that's why I said the hell with low mounted turbos. Thank God none of my Mani to housing nuts ever came loose, I would of ripped it out a long time ago. It's a pain but sacrificial compromise for woosh lol.

Glad it made it's way out. Probably why it was welded! Lol. Someone said, that thing ain't coming loose NO more! Imagine having to do that every time a housing bolt/s started backing off.

Focus on the re-install you don't wanna be back in their in a month. Not sure of your under hood inspections intervals but once done do a little extra for a while to make sure it stays snug.