S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Forced Induction (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/)
-   -   Stock vs Comptech Video and NOVI-1000 Pulley Upgrade Questions (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/stock-vs-comptech-video-novi-1000-pulley-upgrade-questions-1191607/)

s2kvince 02-04-2019 04:53 PM

Stock vs Comptech Video and NOVI-1000 Pulley Upgrade Questions

I own a stock 2001 S2000 and recently purchased a 2000 S2000 with a Comptech kit (Paxton NOVI-1000 w/AC). I filmed a 60-110 MPH comparison that may help out someone interested in seeing the difference between stock and 5.5 psi.

I may upgrade to the NOVI-1200 in the future, but I want to max out the potential of the NOVI-1000 for now and hopefully achieve 370-380 WHP. The car also has a Toda header and Mugen exhaust.

I have a few questions on the required upgrade to accommodate 10-12 psi with a 3.2" or 3.0" pulley:
  • Engine Management: AEM Infinity 6 or AEM Series 2
    • These are both around $1400 on Amazon, but based on SOS, it looks like the Infinity needs a custom harness and wide-band that the Series 2 does not?
    • Are either one of these universal for fitment in other cars with a different harness or are the internals specific to the S2000?
    • Any cheaper alternatives for use in my application or is it worthwhile to just spend the money on the AEM?
  • Injector Dynamics 1050x Plug-and-Play - $568.00 (SOS)
    • These seem to be recommended over the RC Engineering RC-650 injectors
  • Walbro 255 LPH High Flow Pump - $96.50 (SOS)
    • Does the Comptech kit already come with an equivalent fuel pump? Do I need this?
  • ScienceofSpeed Pulley - Comptech Novi 1000 Supercharger - $89.95 (SOS)
    • 3.4" is the smallest recommended by SOS, but I see many using 3.0" and 3.2" even on the AP1.
    • Is 3.2" the best choice? It still seems to stay below the max impeller speed of the NOVI-1000 and will provide slightly more boost.
  • Science of Speed Drive Belt - $29.95 (SOS)
  • ScienceofSpeed Factory-Style 3-Bar MAP Pressure Sensor - $99.00 (SOS)
    • Is this needed for a 3.0" or 3.2" pulley on the NOVI-1000? Factory MAP appears to be good up to 12 PSI, but is it still recommended to swap it when close to that level?
  • Tune
    • Does the AEM Infinity and Series 2 both come with base maps that I can load after installing injectors, pulley, and EMS to drive temporarily? How cautious do I need to be on this map (below 5k RPM, etc)?
  • Clutch
    • The clutch may have been upgraded previously, so I'm tempted to try out the car with the smaller pulley before paying for a clutch/labor. Is it possible to tune properly with some clutch slip (albeit with lower dyno readings)?

Thanks for your help.

maxave 02-04-2019 05:42 PM

I can answer the tune question.
AEM EMS2 software comes with a base tune for a supercharged car with 750cc injectors if I recall correctly, and you can change the injectors in the settings to your ID 1050s, though I used the 1000s. It won't be a perfect tune, and I can't comment as to whether it's driveable or not, as my ap1 has been in a collision shop for the last month. There is a Yotube series that walks you through setting up a base tune for your car so that you can then have it tuned professionally.
Id1000s can be had for 480, and you can even get them at a discount if you buy from eBay through a reputable/authorized seller when they offer a 10-15% discount every now and then.

afzan 02-04-2019 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by s2kvince (Post 24562408)
I own a stock 2001 S2000 and recently purchased a 2000 S2000 with a Comptech kit (Paxton NOVI-1000 w/AC). I filmed a 60-110 MPH comparison that may help out someone interested in seeing the difference between stock and 5.5 psi.

https://youtu.be/wGsgligkUOE

I may upgrade to the NOVI-1200 in the future, but I want to max out the potential of the NOVI-1000 for now and hopefully achieve 370-380 WHP. The car also has a Toda header and Mugen exhaust.

I have a few questions on the required upgrade to accommodate 10-12 psi with a 3.2" or 3.0" pulley:
  • Engine Management: AEM Infinity 6 or AEM Series 2
    • These are both around $1400 on Amazon, but based on SOS, it looks like the Infinity needs a custom harness and wide-band that the Series 2 does not?
    • Are either one of these universal for fitment in other cars with a different harness or are the internals specific to the S2000?
    • Any cheaper alternatives for use in my application or is it worthwhile to just spend the money on the AEM?
  • Injector Dynamics 1050x Plug-and-Play - $568.00 (SOS)
    • These seem to be recommended over the RC Engineering RC-650 injectors
  • Walbro 255 LPH High Flow Pump - $96.50 (SOS)
    • Does the Comptech kit already come with an equivalent fuel pump? Do I need this?
  • ScienceofSpeed Pulley - Comptech Novi 1000 Supercharger - $89.95 (SOS)
    • 3.4" is the smallest recommended by SOS, but I see many using 3.0" and 3.2" even on the AP1.
    • Is 3.2" the best choice? It still seems to stay below the max impeller speed of the NOVI-1000 and will provide slightly more boost.
  • Science of Speed Drive Belt - $29.95 (SOS)
  • ScienceofSpeed Factory-Style 3-Bar MAP Pressure Sensor - $99.00 (SOS)
    • Is this needed for a 3.0" or 3.2" pulley on the NOVI-1000? Factory MAP appears to be good up to 12 PSI, but is it still recommended to swap it when close to that level?
  • Tune
    • Does the AEM Infinity and Series 2 both come with base maps that I can load after installing injectors, pulley, and EMS to drive temporarily? How cautious do I need to be on this map (below 5k RPM, etc)?
  • Clutch
    • The clutch may have been upgraded previously, so I'm tempted to try out the car with the smaller pulley before paying for a clutch/labor. Is it possible to tune properly with some clutch slip (albeit with lower dyno readings)?
Thanks for your help.

wow that's a lot of questions

- The AEM series 2 is an s2000 specific unit - it plugs directly into the OEM harness. The AEM Infinity is a universal EMS which you need to buy a s2000 specific harness to plug into (AEM offers one and SOS offers their own custom setup -- both of them have pros and cons IMO)
- You need a wideband for both: for the Series 2 you will need to cut into the OEM harness to use the wideband IIRC. for the Infinity you buy a small wideband harness which plugs straight into the AEM s2000 specific harness (not sure how it works on the SOS harness)
- I would recommend the Infinity if you can afford the price difference, it's a great ecu and has lots of failsafes, full canbus support, etc
Here are the AEM part numbers for a basic Infinity setup (ie: no extra sensors for oil temp/oil pressure/fuel pressure):
Infinity 506(6) EMS 30-7106
PnP Harness S2000, 2000-05 30-3508
LSU 4.2 Wideband Sensor 30-2001
Wideband Wiring Harness 30-3600

- ID 1050x are a great choice, worth the upgrade from the older ID1000's

- I believe the comptech kit came with an upgraded fuel pump already, so you might not need the walbro. If you are replacing it anyways then be careful with fakes -- buy from a reputable vendor

- yes they come with very basic maps that you can do minimal driving on, if you're using different injectors then you'll need to input those settings to get it working. I'd drive like a grandma on the basemap -- don't go over 1/2 throttle, low revs, etc. Most tuners will give you a map that you can use to drive to them

- if your clutch slips you'll be unable to get a proper tune since there won't be enough load on the motor when the clutch slips

hope that helps

MARK AUS S2K 02-06-2019 02:42 PM

Wow, this just reminds me why I'm so glad I went turbocharged. My car is so much faster it's not even comparable.

E4RTH WORM JIM 02-06-2019 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by MARK AUS S2K (Post 24563225)
Wow, this just reminds me why I'm so glad I went turbocharged. My car is so much faster it's not even comparable.

lol this is running 5lbs of boost. Cant compare this to running 20psi peak on a bigger set up

maxave 02-06-2019 03:11 PM

I also keep reading that the supercharger route is much more sustainable long term with a conservative tune over a turbocharger, but I don't have a solid answer since I have never owned a turbocharged S2000.

s2kvince 02-06-2019 06:29 PM

Thanks for the advice and part numbers. I may just need to pull the fuel pump out to verify rather than finding out the hard way during the tune.

I agree that it's far from fast at 5 psi and won't be anything crazy at 10-12 psi. I've owned Corvettes and other faster vehicles in the past and it's difficult to really utilize anything more than 350-400 hp on the street and still get to have some fun rowing through the gears to redline on a regular basis.

s2000Junky 02-08-2019 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by MARK AUS S2K (Post 24563225)

Yeah, my girlfriend can blow 5psi. Not even a fair assessment.

s2000Junky 02-08-2019 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by s2kvince (Post 24563297)
Thanks for the advice and part numbers. I may just need to pull the fuel pump out to verify rather than finding out the hard way during the tune.

I agree that it's far from fast at 5 psi and won't be anything crazy at 10-12 psi. I've owned Corvettes and other faster vehicles in the past and it's difficult to really utilize anything more than 350-400 hp on the street and still get to have some fun rowing through the gears to redline on a regular basis.

Guaranteed you are running an after market fuel pump already, or the rrfpr wouldn't work and you would go very lean/fall on its face as soon as you hit vtec.

s2kvince 02-08-2019 04:32 PM

Dang, just placed the order for everything and included the Walbro 255 fuel pump before seeing this.

On a car with 48k miles, should I just get the ACT PP or a new friction disc and release bearing also?

Also, found this article which may help someone looking for similar advice:

https://www.evans-tuning.com/honda-s...ning-checklist