S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Strange power gains after removing resonator

Old 09-19-2006, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange power gains after removing resonator

Well I have had a single outlet titanium exhaust from JIC Magic for a couple months now. Just lately the resonator has started rattling on the inside, so it's faulty. I had it removed and replaced with a straight 2.5" pipe to match the rest of the piping size.

My setup is stock comptech S/C, no tuning, test pipe and the 2.5" titanium single exhaust. I had always felt some power hesitation after 8k+ rpms. I couldn't ever figure out why. But, for some reason, now after removing the resonator which seemed to be much smaller in inner diameter than 2.5", I don't feel the power loss at high rpms. In fact, I can GUARANTEE there's a definite power gain throughout the entire rpm range.

I can simply feel more power, midrange and top end as well. It doesn't make sense to gain that much power from just taking out a faulty resonator, but it's true to me, it really did help a lot.

So i have stock headers, and 2.5" pipe all the way to the single outlet muffler. It's loud as all hell, but it's a lot more powerful now, and I don't have the annoying rattle of the resonator.

Just a head's up for anybody looking for info. I can assure you, for my car at least, it gave me extra power.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Before and after dynos are necessary for accurate claims. The butt dyno is very misleading and subject to amazing deception.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have that same exhaust(pre SC) and while it's ok for N/A it's a poor choice for FI as the resonator severely bottlenecks for about 18". I dyno'd almost 3pts leaner when I took off the JIC and put the stock one back on.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:09 PM

I agree with you for accurate claims. But from driving the car every day, under normal and the same circumstances as today, I'm even FEELING more power. Of course, for others to believe it would be hard I understand, but for my own personal satisfaction, I can tell that it's given me a decent gain.

It does make sense that having 2.5" pipe from the headers back, and then in the center having a 1.5" piece (the resonator) would restrict it pretty bad for a forced inducted car. Opening up that 12" section where the resonator laid would logically free up some decent horsepower. Similar to the test pipe mod I'd assume.

But yeah, all I'm saying is that I don't get the high-rpm "powerloss" feeling, and it's more responsive when cruising around town under regular load and rpms.

Another good side note, is that it was WAY too loud when I did that, but I just installed the silencer in the muffler, and it sounds a lot more tolerable now.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by John_Z,Sep 19 2006, 05:07 PM
I used to have that same exhaust(pre SC) and while it's ok for N/A it's a poor choice for FI as the resonator severely bottlenecks for about 18". I dyno'd almost 3pts leaner when I took off the JIC and put the stock one back on.
Yeah man, looking inside that resonator I was like "holy crap!!" because the inner diameter of that is maybe 1.5". It's so small and restricts it so much. I'm very glad that it was "faulty" so I can see the power gains without it on. I love my car 10x more now since I now know there's nothing wrong with it causing any power loss above 8k like it used to. Pulls harder and harder all the way to 9k now.

p.s. Time to go race that srt-4 again that barely beat me last time