S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

The Struggles Of Going Turbo

Old 03-16-2016, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Struggles Of Going Turbo

So I'm putting together a turbo setup for my 06 (Which became more of a hassle due to DBW) and just when i thought i have EVERYTHING.... There is ALWAYS something missing. I have heard it many times before i started working on the car and always thought to myself thats impossible, what could possibly be missing. I have the turbo, manifold, intercooler setup, etc. I think I didn't think about the little things like fittings for oil, wrapping the ac lines for heat, wiring components, fan upgrade (which I had no idea i would have to do) and so on. Not only that, as I'm starting or should I say before I even start lol I think to myself "Where do I even begin?". I just have this huge box of parts sitting in my room and don't even know where to start. The thing is once I start working on the car I have to be prepared for it to be down for a few weeks, its not like i can put the turbo on and drive around like i normally would. Every part that gets added has an effect on something else, like if i decide to put the turbo on and mount it up with the intercooler setup as well, the oil flow has to be setup along with the return. If I decide to do the return style fuel system and put the 2000cc injectors on with the fuel rail and so on, the car has to be tuned pretty much at that point. You guys get my drift here lol, the past few days I have been trying to start something and I'm finding myself jumping from under the hood to mounting the manifold and turbo to inside the car wiring up the gauges, then taking the manifold off because i realized i couldn't plug the vtec pressure switch with the manifold on THEN i lost the sensor with the o-ring on it that i needed to plug the hole . So now my car sits lost, just as lost as I am lol its been an adventure only on the first two days. Also the more I work on the car the more money i spend , i know I'm blabbing at this point lol but my point is that if you plan on going turbo and assume its going to be a 1-2-3 situation you thought WRONG. Unless you go with a greddy kit or supercharger kit but as for myself piecing together a kit thinking it would be cheaper which is kind of was in the beginning ended up costing me more in the end with the mods i have to do now. Im not super new to this forum only been on here a few years reading and posting occasionally but I felt i should share my experience so far and help others understand that its not cheap going turbo which I'm sure everyone knows and its definitely time consuming and somewhat of a hassle but i hope its all worth it in the end. Anyone care to share what they started with when putting together their turbo setup? I might as well start a build thread lol
Old 03-16-2016, 07:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey mate I understand how you're feeling. I'm going S/C and even I am missing shit left right and centre. I am getting someone install the rest and they can pick the bloody car up on their trailer.lol
Old 03-16-2016, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by MARK AUS S2K
Hey mate I understand how you're feeling. I'm going S/C and even I am missing shit left right and centre. I am getting someone install the rest and they can pick the bloody car up on their trailer.lol

Haha! i was thinking about just doing that myself today as i was wiring up the gauges. I literally sat in my car for about an hour spacing out after i was done contemplating this build.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:35 PM

Boost isnt cheap, and there will always be miscellaneous parts that you will have to sorce out yourself. But if its all done correctly at the end its the best thing ever!
Old 03-16-2016, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by KaNgArOo
Boost isnt cheap, and there will always be miscellaneous parts that you will have to sorce out yourself. But if its all done correctly at the end its the best thing ever!
i know it will be worth it, its just getting out of this hole I'm in at the moment lol
Old 03-16-2016, 08:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just wait til you to start worrying about upgrading your trans or diff.

Modifying a car is a black hole. Prepare your wallet.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:06 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Every time I think about doing the same, I read these posts and realize I don't want to go down that road. I am just going to enjoy the car I brought to the dance. I have bigger fish to fry in my life than worrying about all these details!
Old 03-16-2016, 08:31 PM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Sounds to me like you should leave your car stock and you have no idea what your geting yourself into. Owning and operation a high power turbo s2000 takes a true car enthusiast that does not mind spending countless amounts of time always wrenching on their cars. If these very minor issues and working on your car only this little affect your mood this much you will never make it through this. You will end up not finishing your turbo build and going back to stock or your be turboed for a very sort time and get sick of breaking down/dealing with issues /or just get sick of always wrenching your car or your just get sick of spending so much$$ and end up going back to stock and/or selling the car.

I have owned my car for many many years. And you absolutely need a reliable second car. Your turbo car can and will always be down for issues. Stuff can and will break. I work on my cars at least all night once a week. I blow at least $1000 a month on mod/tires and stuff to keep my cars running. But this is my hobby/passion and I don't mind always spending $$$ and time always working on my cars.

Since this is your first rodeo let me be realistic with you. Your eventually going to want more power. You will eventually will want run high boost high octane fuel. You manifold will eventually crack. You will have cooling issues. You will eventually blow your diff/transmission. So get get your wallet ready and start enjoying wrenching on your car. But in the end it's all worth it and I wouldn't even change anything.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by riceball777
Sounds to me like you should leave your car stock and you have no idea what your setting yourself into. Owning and operation a high power turbo s2000 takes a true car enthusiast that does not mind spending countless amounts of time always wrenching on their cars. If these very minor issues and working on your car only this little affect your mood this much you will never make it through this. You will end up not finishing your turbo build and going back to stock or your be turboed for a very sort time and get sick of breaking down/dealing with issues /or just get sick of always wrenching your car or your just get sick of spending so much$$ and end up going back to stock and/or selling the car.

I have owned my car for many many years. And you absolutely need a reliable second car. Your turbo car can and will always be down for issues. Stuff can and will break. I work on my cars at least all night once a week. I blow at least $1000 a month on mod/tires and stuff to keep my cars running. But this is my hobby/passion and I don't mind always spending $$$ and time always working on my cars.

Since this is your first rodeo let me be realistic with you. Your eventually going to want more power. You will eventually will want run high boost high octane fuel. You manifold will eventually crack. You will have cooling issues. You will eventually blow your diff/transmission. So get get your wallet ready and start enjoying wrenching on your car.
this isn't my daily vehicle.... and i don't neccessarily believe that it takes a "true car enthusiast" to own or operate a high power s2000. Im doing the work myself a lot of people just drop their car off at a shop and let the shop install and purchase all the parts for them. A lot of people don't even know the struggle because they have the money to pay their mechanic to fix something so simple or something big. I would consider myself a true car enthusiast working hard to get the parts i want for my car and having the ambition to want to do it myself. This is my second S2k first time around was just hopes of boosting my car but never had the time or money. Now this time i can actually make it happen. I just wasn't aware that the journey would start like this.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Every time I think about doing the same, I read these posts and realize I don't want to go down that road. I am just going to enjoy the car I brought to the dance. I have bigger fish to fry in my life than worrying about all these details!
lol see thats the thing if it were too easy the car would get boring in a sense, maybe my post seems like a major headache which it kind of is at the moment but everyones situation is different and someone else may not have the same problem I'm having because they have either done it or are more mechanically inclined than i am.

Quick Reply: The Struggles Of Going Turbo