S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Supercharger Build Fuel Issues

Old 02-07-2018, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger Build Fuel Issues

Recently picked up a TTS supercharger from a local member. Currently running his old map for AP1 and have some questions. I have done extensive research, yet have not found the solution I'm looking for.

First off the s2000 current setup:AEM EMS Series 2 ECU; AEM 30-4100 Wideband; AEM Fuel Rail; AEM Fuel pressure regulator; AEM 320L E85 Fuel Pump; Injector Dynamic 1300cc Injectors; Hondata 4Bar Map sensor; Defi 60mm Boost Gauge; GM Flex Fuel sensor; Ferrea beehive springs and titanium retainers; Nvidia Test Pipe; Stock Headers; Stock Exhaust; Stock Diff; *I have the car set for E85 but I’m not tuned for it yet.

During the street tune everything was going well. AFR are on point and smooth power band throughout the map, with minor fixes in cells here and there. When we finally get to the point where we started logging pulls in 3rd gear, we notice at roughly 8000rpm to 9000rpm AFR rises to 14; in which it should’ve stuck around the 12s throughout the WOT pull. We tried adding fuel to the cells but got the same results.

Two theories I have:
  1. Currently I have the AEM 320LHP pump wired using the stock wiring harness for the the fuel pump. I’ve read that this pump requires more power in which the stock wires cannot provide. I’ve ordered the SOS fuel pump wiring kit. Hopefully, this solves the problem of fuel starvation from 8k to 9k.
  2. In theory, fighter jets have foam in their tanks to prevent sloshing and provide even fuel flow no matter what level G’s they’re pulling. I’ve also read that another member had this issue with 3 bars on his gas meter. His s2000 would starve at the high end on hard pulls.
Taking this into consideration, I recall I only had 2 bars showing on my gas gauge during the 3rd gear pulls. Can the G’s really be enough to push the gas back against the fuel tank to where the pump cannot sufficiently pump enough fuel to the engine? Is it a combination of the two, both low amps from the stock fuel pump wiring and low fuel being pushed away from the fuel pump during hard pulls? Anyone shine some light on this?
Old 02-08-2018, 10:07 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

My experience with aftermarket fuel pumps is the pick up point isn't quite the same, and at 2 bars showing you were actually starving the fuel sock/pick up. Nothing to do with G forces on a dyno. The sos rewire is a good thing to do regardless, but I'm almost certain you simply goofed and went to the dyno on far too less fuel. I never let mine get less then 3-4 bars showing.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure how much boost or power you have, but I had fuel starvation going in a straight line with less than a 1/4 tank and 1/2 in the twisties with sticky tires. You should hard wire your fuel pump and try to keep your fuel topped off for aggressive driving. My fuel starvation issue was solved by adding a fuel surge tank.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had fuel starvation issues at the track. The fuel gauge reads high when the fuel is sloshing around due to aggressive driving so you have less than the gauge says. On track the engine has lost power due to low fuel but still have enough to get to a gas station off track.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:06 PM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

top the tank off, and do the relay kit for the pump.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:43 PM

Thanks everyone. I topped off the tank and it's doing fine now. Ran into another issue of the belt snapping but it was an 5 year old belt the new belt hasn't been a problem. Running smooth now but still working out the cells to get the afr into the 12s from 7500 to 9000. So far got it down to 11s. Installing the wire kit this weekend for security and assurance. Can't believe I overlooked something so simple. But hey better than it being a major issue. So far with the virtual dyno and the logs taken from the aem v2, the motor is putting out 504hp and 341lbft but I know it's not solid numbers and it's not reliable unless done on an actual dyno. Will be doing the E85 tune next weekend and actually putting it on a dyno this time instead of a street tune.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:24 PM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DeathStar5
Thanks everyone. I topped off the tank and it's doing fine now. Ran into another issue of the belt snapping but it was an 5 year old belt the new belt hasn't been a problem. Running smooth now but still working out the cells to get the afr into the 12s from 7500 to 9000. So far got it down to 11s. Installing the wire kit this weekend for security and assurance. Can't believe I overlooked something so simple. But hey better than it being a major issue. So far with the virtual dyno and the logs taken from the aem v2, the motor is putting out 504hp and 341lbft but I know it's not solid numbers and it's not reliable unless done on an actual dyno. Will be doing the E85 tune next weekend and actually putting it on a dyno this time instead of a street tune.
Purely out of interest. How are you monitoring knock this whole time while street tuning especially in WOT.
The following users liked this post:
azian6er (05-14-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 06:42 PM

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts

If you need a proper Etune, LMK I can also get u Accurate VD graphs. Look me up for reviews
Old 02-22-2018, 11:07 AM

You should hard wire your fuel pump
Old 02-25-2018, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by EOE

Purely out of interest. How are you monitoring knock this whole time while street tuning especially in WOT.
I got the kit with all supporting mods from Indie00. He's been helping me out with the street tunes. He's in the passenger seat logging and tuning while I drive.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Build Fuel Issues