S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Supercharging in 2018-19; best option?

Old 11-07-2018, 08:27 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Thanks for all of your input gents....It seems like the SoS kit is the way to go; especially for DIY. As stated before, I'd love to go to LHT, but in the same regard I enjoy doing as much of my own wrenching as possible. Something about ordering the parts, waiting for them, receiving them, putting them on, and then patting yourself on the back for a job well-done is just as satisfying as driving the car to me at times (as long as things go smoothly)

Right now in addition to my current list up top I'll most likely be adding the SoS 70mm TB as I can find a relatively cheap used core to send in to them. Going with just a 3-Bar map sensor as I'll only be seeing in the realm of 15-16 psi. I figured 450whp was a little far-fetched so as long as I'm seeing a healthy 400/250+ at the rubber I'll be content. Numbers aren't everything but bigger ones look really nice.

I still think I'll just stick with the Walbro 255 as I've already spent the money and I'm sure it will more than satisfy my fueling needs. I really just want to hit 400+ whp / 250+ tq and stop at that. Seems like an impossibility as everyone just wants more, but a 400 whp supercharged s2000 is a special animal; if I want more I feel my money would better be spent on a platform that makes power easier and more reliably.....given all of the feedback from various sources over nearly the past decade and a half it would seem that a supercharged s2000 really is the sweet spot in terms of well-roundedness, smiles, reliability, drivability, etc. So putting in a 255 and not wanting to do the job again will limit my willingness to expand on that front as well .

That being said it's looking like the final word for me will be the SoS N1200 kit w/ upgraded heat exchanger and the 3.4 - 3.2" pulley when I place my order some time next year. According to their charts the 3.2" pulley only yield 1/2 lb more psi than the 3.4" and keeps the blower speed down. From what I've read though it seems like people have reported significant gains by even dropping the 3.4 to the 3.2. I have no desire to go into 3" territory.

Junky, you think I'll be in the 420/260 realm with the 3.2" pulley on 93 tuned safely? Unfortunately E85 isn't an option in CT. Damn state, costing me power and emissions hassles....
Old 11-07-2018, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by hecash
You can attenuate the noise of the Paxton blower. I've had the SOS kit for a number of years running 14psi with Hondata KPro set to limit at 8,500 rpm. Using a Comptech Air Box and some custom asymmetric foam baffling the sound is reduced, the pitch is reduced and the "bucket of bolts" image is nearly eliminated. Folks know that there is something different about your car but it's not nearly as pronounced.

PS - I think that decorative carbon fiber is childish. So, I painted all of the CF stuff in NFR.

I've seem your car on the various fb groups! Don't sell it! I think you've listed it for sale a few times saying it's too much for you or something at your age, but I think that's what makes it awesome! Beautiful setup, and I'm totally with you on the carbon fiber. I got myself a wrinkle black cooling plate and if I can find them I'll be getting the wrinkle black battery/master cylinder covers that GPFab used to make. Really like the fasteners you did too. Hopefully I'll be able to find a comptech box. If not I'll most likely get something fabbed out of sheet metal and also coat it wrinkle black to keep with the theme.

My buddy's s2000 has been a major instigator in my plans....He's had it this way for a couple of years and ever since I saw it I've wanted to do the same. It's also the car he's kept the longest, so that says a lot. Here's his car....he went the carbon fiber route with his cooling plate and box as that's how they come, but that bay just looks so well sorted. I love a supercharged bay. I'm hoping mine will look as good as yours and his does. I was thinking of doing my valve cover a wrinkle white and the spark plug cover wrinkle red to go with the white/red color scheme of my exterior/interior, and maybe a gloss white on the blower housing....

Last edited by Kyle; 11-07-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:11 PM

Also, not sure if it really matters, but I think I've decided on the Vibratechnics engine mounts and the Mr. Sideways radiator w/ the Spal fans.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:02 PM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
For all considered, with all out performance, reliability and longevity SOS kit hands down, no comparison. The novi blowers are more indestructible especially if you want to over spin to make more power then the Rotrex units, and the SOS kit itself is less complicated and more refined/durable. And it only sounds like a coffee grinder at idle with the hood open

I think the Rotrex sounds like a big flex fan pushing air and the novi actually has a cool supercharger whistle to it.
I agree with the whistle sound for the Vortech blowers as well
Old 11-07-2018, 10:12 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
I agree with the whistle sound for the Vortech blowers as well
Yeah, they are essentially the same blower as the novi.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 11-07-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by S2kys
Thanks for all of your input gents....It seems like the SoS kit is the way to go; especially for DIY. As stated before, I'd love to go to LHT, but in the same regard I enjoy doing as much of my own wrenching as possible. Something about ordering the parts, waiting for them, receiving them, putting them on, and then patting yourself on the back for a job well-done is just as satisfying as driving the car to me at times (as long as things go smoothly)

Right now in addition to my current list up top I'll most likely be adding the SoS 70mm TB as I can find a relatively cheap used core to send in to them. Going with just a 3-Bar map sensor as I'll only be seeing in the realm of 15-16 psi. I figured 450whp was a little far-fetched so as long as I'm seeing a healthy 400/250+ at the rubber I'll be content. Numbers aren't everything but bigger ones look really nice.

I still think I'll just stick with the Walbro 255 as I've already spent the money and I'm sure it will more than satisfy my fueling needs. I really just want to hit 400+ whp / 250+ tq and stop at that. Seems like an impossibility as everyone just wants more, but a 400 whp supercharged s2000 is a special animal; if I want more I feel my money would better be spent on a platform that makes power easier and more reliably.....given all of the feedback from various sources over nearly the past decade and a half it would seem that a supercharged s2000 really is the sweet spot in terms of well-roundedness, smiles, reliability, drivability, etc. So putting in a 255 and not wanting to do the job again will limit my willingness to expand on that front as well .

That being said it's looking like the final word for me will be the SoS N1200 kit w/ upgraded heat exchanger and the 3.4 - 3.2" pulley when I place my order some time next year. According to their charts the 3.2" pulley only yield 1/2 lb more psi than the 3.4" and keeps the blower speed down. From what I've read though it seems like people have reported significant gains by even dropping the 3.4 to the 3.2. I have no desire to go into 3" territory.

Junky, you think I'll be in the 420/260 realm with the 3.2" pulley on 93 tuned safely? Unfortunately E85 isn't an option in CT. Damn state, costing me power and emissions hassles....
U offered your 255 for sale in my thread
What pump you plan on running then?
Old 11-07-2018, 10:30 PM

Regarding the TVS1320 positive displacement/screw type blower: far as I know these types of blowers don't handle high RPM well. Am I wrong?
Old 11-07-2018, 10:31 PM

Yeah, the are essentially the same blower as the novi.
Cool
Old 11-08-2018, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
U offered your 255 for sale in my thread
What pump you plan on running then?
Yeah sorry, I was buying into all of the heresy in that thread.....I think I'll say this for a 3rd time but if the pump was as unruly as it was made out to be in that thread LHT wouldn't offer it to their customers. They're a modest shop in terms of retaining comfort and reasonable noise levels (unless asked otherwise) so I don't think they'd shill a loud annoying fuel pump. Not trying to discredit what others are saying but I'll "believe it when I see it myself". I think the comments about a subtle whine noise that you notice occasionally if at all are more reasonable and in-line with reality.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:02 AM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I stand corrected? That's the highest yield and boost amount ive seen posted for a Rotrex charger. Kudos there. Stock engine? What dyno? TTS kits do manage to produce significantly higher yields then the KW. Why is not clear to me.

Still didn't touch the Novi, with over 600whp on the Novi 1500
Thanks! Yea stock engine, I haven't seen a Rotrex S2000 this high either. This was on a Dynojet 224xlc...at King Motorsports...where all of my dynoing and tuning is done. From all of my testing/modifying (we did some comparisons with another 2.2l stock motor KW equipped S2000 as well) and I believe it to be from a few things...1-the TTS tube and fin I/C core and 2-the increase of the piping dia. and smooth routing/radiuses of the piping (on my system anyway).

Starting here is where the changes we made to the original TTS kit begin:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-fo.../#post23945935

Here's my original unmodified TTS kit vs the changes:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-fo.../#post24378856

The highest KW kit I believe is this one currently at 482whp on a Dynojet at LHT (dyno in video begins at 7:52) This one has an LHT modified intake manifold and their twinloop exhaust:

...so in conclusion I think there is still potentially more on the table and we'll see if I give "more" a try...but 600whp?...not sure! ...just remember...there is always the theory of the C38R! Rotrex A/S

Last edited by 06S2k07Si; 11-08-2018 at 02:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Supercharging in 2018-19; best option?