S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Supercharging in 2018-19; best option?

Old 11-08-2018, 02:03 AM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kys

I've seem your car on the various fb groups! Don't sell it! I think you've listed it for sale a few times saying it's too much for you or something at your age, but I think that's what makes it awesome! Beautiful setup, and I'm totally with you on the carbon fiber. I got myself a wrinkle black cooling plate and if I can find them I'll be getting the wrinkle black battery/master cylinder covers that GPFab used to make. Really like the fasteners you did too. Hopefully I'll be able to find a comptech box. If not I'll most likely get something fabbed out of sheet metal and also coat it wrinkle black to keep with the theme.

My buddy's s2000 has been a major instigator in my plans....He's had it this way for a couple of years and ever since I saw it I've wanted to do the same. It's also the car he's kept the longest, so that says a lot. Here's his car....he went the carbon fiber route with his cooling plate and box as that's how they come, but that bay just looks so well sorted. I love a supercharged bay. I'm hoping mine will look as good as yours and his does. I was thinking of doing my valve cover a wrinkle white and the spark plug cover wrinkle red to go with the white/red color scheme of my exterior/interior, and maybe a gloss white on the blower housing....

Very clean!
The following users liked this post:
mcs2000si (04-12-2020)
Old 11-08-2018, 02:08 AM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Yeah sorry, I was buying into all of the heresy in that thread.....I think I'll say this for a 3rd time but if the pump was as unruly as it was made out to be in that thread LHT wouldn't offer it to their customers. They're a modest shop in terms of retaining comfort and reasonable noise levels (unless asked otherwise) so I don't think they'd shill a loud annoying fuel pump. Not trying to discredit what others are saying but I'll "believe it when I see it myself". I think the comments about a subtle whine noise that you notice occasionally if at all are more reasonable and in-line with reality.
Yeah I agree. LHT wouldn't (or shouldn't) be punting the 255 if its actually uncomfortable in operation. They also recommend the FX300 or is it 350 clutch? If it buzzed a hell of a lot they probably would mention that or not offer it.

Maybe @s2000Junky has some input regarding the Walbro 255 being really noisy compared to other higher flow models which are supposedly quieter?
Old 11-08-2018, 02:12 AM

OP you should be very happy with the SOS kit. I've experienced a few and they are quite nice.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:02 AM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by 06S2k07Si
OP you should be very happy with the SOS kit. I've experienced a few and they are quite nice.
Thank you for the input; love your setup. The only thing stopping me from going TTS is all of the fab involved to make it like yours which seems very well thought out and honestly should be the production version of the kit.

I think I’ve set my power goals pretty modest, and without access to E85 I really don’t think there’s any point in splitting hairs trying to get past 400-450whp on 93 because it probably wouldn’t be safe or reliable, and most likely not even plausible. The lack of E85 is honestly a real bummer....If we had it readily available I wouldn’t an FI car on anything else...jelly!
Old 11-08-2018, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Yeah I agree. LHT wouldn't (or shouldn't) be punting the 255 if its actually uncomfortable in operation. They also recommend the FX300 or is it 350 clutch? If it buzzed a hell of a lot they probably would mention that or not offer it.

Maybe @s2000Junky has some input regarding the Walbro 255 being really noisy compared to other higher flow models which are supposedly quieter?
FX300 is the one, although supposedly the 350 is about the same; just a little more firm on the pedal. As far as the clutch was concerned it was a toss-up for me. Aside from the glowing recommendation by LHT for the FX300 I see most people running the OEM disk/ ACT PP. In terms of wear under proper conditions / use, OEM always tends to outlast the rest as far as consumables go.

I’m sure the FX300 is a great clutch, but the OEM /ACT setup has been tried and tested for nearly what, 2 decades now? Again, I know LHT doesn’t recommend junk, but I’m sure it’s much easier for them to just source the FX300 as a kit vs stocking the various components to make up the OEM/ACT setup. Plus I’m sure there wouldn’t be as much of a profit margin with them selling mostly OEM parts vs an aftermarket clutch kit. But that’s all speculation. I haven’t looked at the price of the FX300 kit; but they charge $1200 for an FX300 installed, MTF change, and the Nachi bearing which isn’t cheap. Seems like a good deal to me, they can’t be making too much off of those.

If LHT was closer I’d love to go to them and would be confident with the KW setup if they installed it. But for anyone else looking to go another route/DIY it seems like SoS is the winner for ease of install and maintenance as well. I’m not sure if this is unethical or not but I have most of what LHT quotes in terms of pricing from an email exchange from a few months ago. Prices are subject to change at any time but it would give people a decent ballpark idea if anyone is interested to know vs. making poor Esther have to email you back haha.

Last edited by Kyle; 11-08-2018 at 04:17 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:16 AM

Thank you for the kind words! Richard at TTS once called my set up "perfecting the perfection"! When I had the original Kraftwerks C30-94 setup, I was at 382whp and that was truly a great amount of power. Your looking at around 400+whp and that will be fantastic to drive. Quite honestly at 550+ whp the car can be a handful!
​
​https://www.s2ki.com/2017/12/18/buil...€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹

Best of luck!

Last edited by 06S2k07Si; 11-08-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:20 AM

Thank you for the kind words! Richard at TTS once called my set up "perfecting the perfection"! When I had the original Kraftwerks C30-94 setup, I was at 382whp and that was truly a great amount of power. Your looking at around 400+whp and that will be fantastic to drive. Quite honestly at 550+ whp the car can be a handful!

Best of luck!
Thanks a bunch! I’m excited to get everything together but also trying to be as patient as I can with this process. I’m in absolutely no rush. Your build is definitely setting the bar damn high for anyone who wants the most out of a supercharged S. I’d love to see what it would be capable of with the rumored C38R which still continues to elude us. Is there any info on it? Supposed release was April; any updates?
Old 11-08-2018, 04:39 AM

FX300 is the one, although supposedly the 350 is about the same; just a little more firm on the pedal. As far as the clutch was concerned it was a toss-up for me. Aside from the glowing recommendation by LHT for the FX300 I see most people running the OEM disk/ ACT PP. In terms of wear under proper conditions / use, OEM always tends to outlast the rest as far as consumables go.

I’m sure the FX300 is a great clutch, but the OEM /ACT setup has been tried and tested for nearly what, 2 decades now? Again, I know LHT doesn’t recommend junk, but I’m sure it’s much easier for them to just source the FX300 as a kit vs stocking the various components to make up the OEM/ACT setup. Plus I’m sure there wouldn’t be as much of a profit margin with them selling mostly OEM parts vs an aftermarket clutch kit. But that’s all speculation. I haven’t looked at the price of the FX300 kit; but they charge $1200 for an FX300 installed, MTF change, and the Nachi bearing which isn’t cheap. Seems like a good deal to me, they can’t be making too much off of those.

If LHT was closer I’d love to go to them and would be confident with the KW setup if they installed it. But for anyone else looking to go another route/DIY it seems like SoS is the winner for ease of install and maintenance as well. I’m not sure if this is unethical or not but I have most of what LHT quotes in terms of pricing from an email exchange from a few months ago. Prices are subject to change at any time but it would give people a decent ballpark idea if anyone is interested to know vs. making poor Esther have to email you back haha.
Good points on the FX300 vs well spoken of ACT/OEM PP/disk.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:41 AM

Best of luck!
That is a clean setup dude! Possibly the cleanest TTS setup I've seen yet.

Guessing at 550+ whp guys will be running semis even on the street - Cup 2's, RE71R's, R888's, AD08R, etc
Old 11-08-2018, 05:18 AM

Thanks a bunch! I’m excited to get everything together but also trying to be as patient as I can with this process. I’m in absolutely no rush. Your build is definitely setting the bar damn high for anyone who wants the most out of a supercharged S. I’d love to see what it would be capable of with the rumored C38R which still continues to elude us. Is there any info on it? Supposed release was April; any updates?
Sure thing. That's a great way to start...be patient! Thanks again. I haven't heard about anything on it since April either... don't know.

Last edited by 06S2k07Si; 11-08-2018 at 06:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Supercharging in 2018-19; best option?