S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Supercharging in 2018-19; best option?

Old 11-09-2018, 08:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes there will be bracing for it utilizing some of the stock intake manifold brace points. Also it will be all made from thick billet aluminum not just sheet metal. We are not waiting for a bunch of investors to create it. The parts are being machined right now and we should have it running on the dyno very soon.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:04 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Wow, things continue to get interesting. I'm glad I'm not in a major rush and I made this thread. A few options that I really had no idea existed are coming down the pipe. Excited to see the results of the TVS/Whipple blowers. Also reassuring to see the posts being made about it are from long-time members and not someone who joined yesterday to shill the kit.

Just as Junky said, I'm all about seeing the results and testing. My mind is made up for the SoS kit if I go ahead with it in terms of what parts I'll be running; but if these other options prove to be better it won't be hard to sway me in that direction either! Really happy to see continuous development for this platform. People have known the S2k was a great car for a long time, but it seems like the mainstream masses are finally catching up seeing how demand for good examples is rising and vendors are still developing new stuff.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:22 PM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000442
You could say the same thing with the TVS 1320 kit coming out.
Troy has been slowly progressing and improving his design over the past 10 years, and after talking with him he seems like a very smart guy. High attention to detail and an OEM+ kind of guy, I have no doubt the 1320 IMT kit WILL deliver a great product.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Look into the TTS kit if you want reliability with the Rotrex blower.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by SHG_James
Look into the TTS kit if you want reliability with the Rotrex blower.
It's definitely still up for consideration. The only thing right now is I'm seeing a lot of reliability issues with the Rotrex blowers in general. Consensus across multiple platforms/forums is the input shaft bearing tends to wear down until the shaft essentially goes off-center too far to snap the pulley right off and toast the bearing/internals. I believe there was one member on here who was doing hot laps with a TTS kit and it kept eating belts and then finally fragged the blower.

Not trying to look ignorant; the Rotrex is relatively new, I'd like if people chimed in with some long-term reviews on Rotrex setups. Does anyone have a fair number above several years and let's say 30-40k+ miles on their kits? I wouldn't be too pissed off if I had to replace a blower headunit after 5 years and around 40-50k miles....it would suck but I'd deal with it. I've just heard of a lot of premature failures with the Rotrex setups, not so much for the Paxton unit which admittedly isn't as efficient but much more robust from feedback I've read in various threads.
The following users liked this post:
ES2Kool (04-01-2020)
Old 11-11-2018, 03:17 AM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kys
It's definitely still up for consideration. The only thing right now is I'm seeing a lot of reliability issues with the Rotrex blowers in general. Consensus across multiple platforms/forums is the input shaft bearing tends to wear down until the shaft essentially goes off-center too far to snap the pulley right off and toast the bearing/internals. I believe there was one member on here who was doing hot laps with a TTS kit and it kept eating belts and then finally fragged the blower.

Not trying to look ignorant; the Rotrex is relatively new, I'd like if people chimed in with some long-term reviews on Rotrex setups. Does anyone have a fair number above several years and let's say 30-40k+ miles on their kits? I wouldn't be too pissed off if I had to replace a blower headunit after 5 years and around 40-50k miles....it would suck but I'd deal with it. I've just heard of a lot of premature failures with the Rotrex setups, not so much for the Paxton unit which admittedly isn't as efficient but much more robust from feedback I've read in various threads.
I don't disagree with anything you've said. And I think your thought process is a good one.

Personally, I've had the original Kraftwerks setup with the C30-94 Rotrex unit and now the TTS with the C38-92 unit and have been fortunate to have had no issues with either. However, I am an ideal candidate for these due to the fact that I do not track my car nor put thousands of miles on. I do run the car quite hard from time to time but never for 20-30 minutes + of consistent wide open flogging. I put the original KW kit on my car in 2009 at just over 5800mi and then removed that in 2014 and installed the TTS kit at just over 22,000mi. I now have almost 30,000mi on the car. So just over 16,200mi on the original KW kit and now almost 8000mi on the current TTS kit. My personal original decision to buy a Rotrex unit was that they were notably quieter than the Paxton or Vortex units that's really it. If I had it to do over again currently I'd pick the TTS of what's currently available. If something really comes of these roots style kits and the whp numbers exceed 425-450 (Dynojet) on 93 octane this will be something to look at...not to mention the potential of their power under the curve...especially if the reliability is good. ...just my $0.02.

Last edited by 06S2k07Si; 11-11-2018 at 03:54 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by 06S2k07Si
I don't disagree with anything you've said. And I think your thought process is a good one.

Personally, I've had the original Kraftwerks setup with the C30-94 Rotrex unit and now the TTS with the C38-92 unit and have been fortunate to have had no issues with either. However, I am an ideal candidate for these due to the fact that I do not track my car nor put thousands of miles on. I do run the car quite hard from time to time but never for 20-30 minutes + of consistent wide open flogging. I put the original KW kit on my car in 2009 at just over 5800mi and then removed that in 2014 and installed the TTS kit at just over 22,000mi. I now have almost 30,000mi on the car. So just over 16,200mi on the original KW kit and now almost 8000mi on the current TTS kit. My personal original decision to buy a Rotrex unit was that they were notably quieter than the Paxton or Vortex units that's really it. If I had it to do over again currently I'd pick the TTS of what's currently available. If something really comes of these roots style kits and the whp numbers exceed 425-450 (Dynojet) on 93 octane this will be something to look at...not to mention the potential of their power under the curve...especially if the reliability is good. ...just my $0.02.
I was hoping you’d reply since you probably have one of the most solid Rotrex setups. Surprisingly low mileage but your car is making quite a bit more power than most supercharged cars

It seems like the ribbed setup of the TTS and EVERY other sc kit seems to work much better than the KW kit with the cogged setup which seemed like a knee-jerk design choice. I think I should be giving Rotrex a little more credit, I don’t think they’d have nearly as much issues with a better mount/drive system *cough TTS*. You’re one of the very few running a TTS kit. The unfortunate thing is that Rotrex is getting tossed into the grinder with KW when the KW setup may ultimately be causing the Rotrex unit to fail. I’ve spent hours reading damn near every thread regarding the KW kits and busted belts and bolts seem to be a common occurrence.

I’m still not entirely 100% decided yet as it will still be a while before I make my purchase. It just seems that KW still seems to be very hit and miss, and LHT seems like more of the exception than the rule. If proper belt tension is the key factor I think it’s only fair that some kind of procedure or measurable specification is out there rather than “by feel”. I wouldn’t mind needing to check to ensure that the mounting bolts are tight periodically, but belt replacement on the KW setup looks like a real pain in the ass, and eventual head unit failure isn’t a fun prognosis either. I do think a lot of the bolts busting etc can be remedied by using stronger ARP equivalents on essentially the entire kit, proper torque, loctite etc.

Discussing theoreticals can go on forever, and so can I, haha...The ONE thing I have noticed though is there are a lot less theoreticals, if any, with the SOS kit....especially regarding reliability. I don’t think it should be a necessity that you can only successfully run a KW kit if it’s installed and tuned by LHT....that kind of defeats the point of selling a kit....If it’s so finicky about absolutely proper installation I think the kit needs a very thorough combing over in terms of installation instructions, potentially upgraded and revised hardware based on LHTs feedback, revised torque values, clearance and tolerance checking that can be performed by the installer/end user, etc. There’s nothing wrong with more elaborate kits and installs as long as they come supplied with a winning procedure to ensure some semblance of longevity. And Kraftwerks stealth release of the added mounting point with their more recent kits still isn’t making me feel more comfortable. LHT has been extending the supplied bracket for some time now, and clearly it’s helped, so there must still be weakness in the mounting system that KW is trying to address by updating their own supplied bracketry which isn’t nearly as stout as the LHT solution....

I need to stop talking, I just think it’s important to keep a current thread/discussion going on for anyone considering a supercharger setup with today’s options and past experiences and accrued data as well as the most current information, which more or less only applies to the KW kit and their rolling revisions. I think it’s almost there but just not quite there enough, unless of course, you go to LHT.

The roots blowers are cool, and their under the curve power is great, but man do I hate the whine...so much so that it really trumps any benefit that they may have over centrifugal blowers....I’m sure I’ll have time to see and hear these new kits run....but I’m not holding out much hope that I’ll like what they sound like. Plus this late into the game I’d really like to be buying into a time-tested proven kit vs. being a guinea pig for potential revisions...but that’s the game you play if you want the “latest and greatest”.
06S2k07Si (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 06:41 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I'd say this...if you want to get something now and reliability is the top concern, I would have to believe that SOS (with a 1200 blower) is where it's at. Its literally as reliable as bolt on and go. If you want to wait for the new and up coming kits, you may have a long wait...and most likely let others be a guinea pig to prove the reliability. If you want Rotrex, I personally wouldn't buy the current KW kit. Maybe contact LHT and ask about reliability of some of their customers cars...
ES2Kool (03-30-2020)
Old 11-11-2018, 07:08 PM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

I'd be pissed if i had to replace a sc blower every 5yrs or 50k miles.

So for me SOS all the way. 85k+ miles on my novi1000 and zero issues.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by EOE
I'd be pissed if i had to replace a sc blower every 5yrs or 50k miles.

So for me SOS all the way. 85k+ miles on my novi1000 and zero issues.
Yeah, I mean if the car didn't give me any problems and I was happy with how things operated in that time frame, then eating the cost wouldn't be as painful after such a period of time. But that was with the eventuality that it did happen, not expecting it to, but from all accounts the Paxton blowers have been nothing but good to most people and people stay happy with them. I just really like the jet-like sound of the Rotrex, and I think a lot of that stems from the cog drive of the KW kit along with the fact that its impeller spins twice as fast as your standard supercharger design because it uses a planetary design instead of gear reduction.

LHT I believe have figured out where the weaknesses are in the KW kits and essentially correct potential issues in the weak points before they arise; that reinforced bracket being the biggest thing for me. KW has sold a shitload of kits, and at this point to come out with an entirely new bracket design wouldn't look good for them, because that would be admitting to deficiencies that align with all of the problems people have been having, and as some have said it's easier to give great customer service and fix issues as they arise vs. spending the money on a revised design and upgrading all of your past customers. As a company and business I can understand that if it's truly the case....It's a tough spot for company and customer alike...I honestly like the kit, if it proved to be more reliable I'd buy it with confidence. I'm going to start going through the LHT videos and making notes of what they mention they do different in their installs and essentially making a chronicle of what it is. I don't think they're being purposefully secretive as they've slowly been revealing what they do different, and since it's just a few brackets etc you can only change so much about what's being done to install the kit.

Quick Reply: Supercharging in 2018-19; best option?