S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

For those of you with A/C and FI

Old 07-12-2017, 08:34 PM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Default For those of you with A/C and FI

How cold are you able to get the A/C, mine is not as cool as I would like it to be. I am running a 3" thick intercooler, then a 19 row oil cooler, A/C condenser, then a full blown radiator with SPAL fans. I have tucked A/C lines and I just charged the system. It gets okay, but not super cold. I live in Atlanta so it's in the low 90s. The coolant temps will continue to rise if I leave the A/C on in traffic. I am thinking of mounting a push fan in front of the condenser but not sure if that would help much or maybe a shrouded fan setup would work better on the backside with the SPAL fans? I am running full undertray and the intercooler is shrouded to force air through it. I do plan on putting shrouds on the side of the radiator/condenser so it will help force more air through it instead of around it.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 07-13-2017, 12:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

At a minimum I'd route some air directly at the air condenser as the airflow is significantly reduced when it hits your intercooler (and even then, it's hotter air). Best choice would be to go v-mount. After I went v-mount my A/C was noticeably colder and the car runs significantly cooler even in Arizona summer heat.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:46 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just curious if u charged the system correctly?

If you charge an "old" (closed) system ...this ok (shouldershrug) BUT when you replace parts like that you have to evac the system.

You deffly have a reduced flow path to the condenser, and that will keep temps from getting super cold but if there is air in the system that will not help either.

your always gonna see temps go up in traffic with AC on. I compromise by leaving the dial right on where the red starts. Its manageable considering the AC is cooling that crack of engine coolant heat and keeps those temps lower.

Last edited by MorngWoodStewie; 07-13-2017 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jin_SK
At a minimum I'd route some air directly at the air condenser as the airflow is significantly reduced when it hits your intercooler (and even then, it's hotter air). Best choice would be to go v-mount. After I went v-mount my A/C was noticeably colder and the car runs significantly cooler even in Arizona summer heat.
I guess I could deshroud part of the IC, but that would kinda defeat the purpose of any of the shrouding on it. My IC is not directly against the bumper opening, thus the shrouding.

Originally Posted by MorngWoodStewie
Just curious if u charged the system correctly?

If you charge an "old" (closed) system ...this ok (shouldershrug) BUT when you replace parts like that you have to evac the system.

You deffly have a reduced flow path to the condenser, and that will keep temps from getting super cold but if there is air in the system that will not help either.

your always gonna see temps go up in traffic with AC on. I compromise by leaving the dial right on where the red starts. Its manageable considering the AC is cooling that crack of engine coolant heat and keeps those temps lower.
yes I have a vacuum pump and the gauges to do it correclty. the correct amount of oil and R134a was added.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:58 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok JW.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used foam around my heat exchanger to force air threw it and noticed intake temps got muchhh higher. Figured out the foam was acting like an insulator and holding all the heat in. Make sure nothing is touching the sides of the condenser, rad or IC

i just made a mister from homedepot for $20, and I'm going to rout my windshield sprayer line to the front pumper so I can spray it while driving.
Or this....
https://www.ebay.com/i/382131301819?...D1256731249165
Old 07-13-2017, 01:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another member had engine overheating problems as soon as he installed the SC - especially on track. The problem was solved when he took the condenser off and noticed that many of the fins were bent. (The condenser is the first thing for rocks to hit on a stock car.) When he replaced the condenser the air conditioner worked better and the engine overheating problems went away too.
The following users liked this post:
R00567 (07-16-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 05:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My ac is just as cold as ever. U can get an acpro and refill yours up. I noticed that my idle drops to 800rpm and shakes because thr first tuner didn't do the AC rpm ramp up. I'm getting my 91 octane returned at 13psi tomorrow fixing the AC idle issue and lowering vtec to 3800rpm.

And then do e85 at 20psi... We'll see if we get this far. I need my car to idle smooth with AC on and not stall first and formost.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to get air flowing across the radiator. I tried the push fan approach, but didn't get any real results. Ended up getting one large SPAL extreme fan and squeezed in another smaller fan. From that point forward I was able to maintain the AC and keep my temps in check.

If you really want to invest, a properly louvered hood does wonders.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by 99SH
You need to get air flowing across the radiator. I tried the push fan approach, but didn't get any real results. Ended up getting one large SPAL extreme fan and squeezed in another smaller fan. From that point forward I was able to maintain the AC and keep my temps in check.

If you really want to invest, a properly louvered hood does wonders.
Thanks for the input. I guess that eliminates trying the push-pull configuration. Im running 2 spal fans now. Maybe a shroud would help? I would cut my hood but my car looks stock and I'd like to keep it that way. Sleeper4life lol

Quick Reply: For those of you with A/C and FI