S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Forced Induction (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/)
-   -   Tune after turbo rebuild (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/tune-after-turbo-rebuild-1170167/)

bjs2000 03-13-2017 09:02 AM

Tune after turbo rebuild

I just purchased a 2000 S2000 and it needs a new turbo. If I have the turbo rebuilt, do I need to have the car retuned?
Thanks,

jeffbrig 03-13-2017 12:45 PM

Kinda hard to say. If it's the exact same turbo after the rebuild as it was before it needed the rebuild, AND it was tuned properly in the first place, you may be fine. Then again, why does it new a new/rebuilt turbo to begin with?

bjs2000 03-14-2017 04:39 AM

I believe I'm losing compression due to the turbo leaking which is also causing an oil leak situation. The car has boost at low rpms and cuts out at higher boost. A shop wants big money to replace the turbo with a new one, convert the downpipe to Vband and redo the turbo lines and tune accordingly. I would rather just get the car back and have the turbo rebuilt if that means I can skip the tune.

bjs2000 03-16-2017 08:40 AM

Any help on this? I'm hoping I can just have the turbo rebuilt without tuning. A separate question is if I have a built engine for lower compression at 9.1:1 then can I still supercharge my car or am I limited to turbo's.

Thanks!

Spoolin 03-16-2017 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by bjs2000 (Post 24169974)
I believe I'm losing compression due to the turbo leaking which is also causing an oil leak situation. The car has boost at low rpms and cuts out at higher boost. A shop wants big money to replace the turbo with a new one, convert the downpipe to Vband and redo the turbo lines and tune accordingly. I would rather just get the car back and have the turbo rebuilt if that means I can skip the tune.

How exactly would a turbo with an oil leak cause a loss in compression? If the turbo is leaking, it needs a rebuild and from the sound of it, the tune isn't right either. Best thing to do is get the turbo rebuilt and have a competent tuner clean the tune up.

bjs2000 03-16-2017 04:19 PM

The shop I have it at said it needs a turbo and the compression leak down test was excellent. They also checked the tune and said it was a little off but nothing serious. Could the turbo seals leaking even cause the cutout before max boost? The car is tuned for 10 and 15psi when it gets to 2 psi from max boost it cuts out. The shop wants to sell me a new turbo, convert the downpipe to a v band, redo the turbo lines and retue the car. I would much rather just rebuild the turbo if that means I don't need a tune because the quote I have from the shop is up there.

Mijae007 03-16-2017 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by bjs2000 (Post 24171495)
A separate question is if I have a built engine for lower compression at 9.1:1 then can I still supercharge my car or am I limited to turbo's.

This question worries me any greedy person will take advantage of you. It seems you need to find a shop/tuner you can "trust" and take it from there. Maybe get a second opinion.

MorngWoodStewie 03-17-2017 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Spoolin (Post 24171734)
How exactly would a turbo with an oil leak cause a loss in compression? If the turbo is leaking, it needs a rebuild and from the sound of it, the tune isn't right either. Best thing to do is get the turbo rebuilt and have a competent tuner clean the tune up.

I think he meant boost. also wanted to agree with the above mentioned as well. ^^x2

MorngWoodStewie 03-17-2017 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by bjs2000 (Post 24169974)

Never skip the tune!!! Lol.

Jaspah 03-17-2017 03:20 AM

What kind of turbo is it... and what is exactly wrong with the turbo?
Just a leaking oil seal? Or too much shaft play also?

Having it rebuild, assuming that the tune was correct for when the turbo was ok, it should run fine when you reinstall it.
Just to be sure, make a few dyno runs.

The compression 9.1:1 might not be very efficient when running a supercharger (on low boost +/-12psi)... but it will run. You can run higher boost with lower compression ratio's, not having to worry too much about knock. So it's ideal for big turbo's, or a supercharger kit giving some serious boost. The extra boost will make up for the loss of efficiency in CR.