S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Turbo Getting Too Hot. Car Caught on Fire TWICE Today.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo Getting Too Hot. Car Caught on Fire TWICE Today.

So uh... Yeah lol. My turbo is getting insanely hot, moreso than I think is even remotely justifiable. After driving on the highway for a bit today (<10 miles) I pulled over when I saw white smoke coming from under the hood. Turns out the insulation that lines the top of the hood caught on fire, and I ripped it all out on the side of the road and hosed it down with my portable fire extinguisher that I thankfully had in my center console. This burned through my fuel return line and melted some other minor things on my intake side. I chalked this up to just being unlucky as I knew for some time that my turbo had been burning away a bit at it and making contact.

However, later tonight I drove about 60 miles out of town, and almost right when I got within a couple blocks of my apartment I started to smell smoke again. I quickly pulled into my lot, and found that this time my turbo blanket (PTP) had caught fire. Repeat the same process, put out the fire, and now there's more minor damage to some of the rubber linings on the exhaust side of my car. I'm also unsure if there's any damage on the turbo itself since I can only assume it's not ideal for them to be on fire. I could see that the exhaust housing was glowing completely red hot when I pulled over.

Does anyone have any idea on what could be making the turbo run this bloody hot? My AFR's seem completely fine, I'm not running too lean or rich. Not once did the engine itself overheat.

Turbo is a Precision 5558 JB. Let me know if anyone needs more information.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:36 PM

I don't think I've ever even heard of a turbo blanket catching on fire before....

Edit: The only thing I can think of that could cause this insane heat would be the tune. There has to be an issue with either my timing or fuel somewhere, although like I've mentioned I haven't seen any problem with my AFR.

I just hope I can get the damn car back up to the shop without something else catching on fire... And that no permanent damage has been done yet.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that's sick. Maybe vent your hood and use an aluminum heatshield around your turbo?
How big is your downpipe?
Old 11-29-2015, 04:44 AM

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

Doesn't even sound like you were driving hard. You definitely have some other issues going on. Post a pic of the bay.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, that's scary. Sounds to me like you might have an oil leak somewhere. A turbo blanket shouldn't just catch fire. I'd bet some oil got on the blanket and starts smoking and maybe some flame.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jaspah
Wow that's sick. Maybe vent your hood and use an aluminum heatshield around your turbo?
How big is your downpipe?
This would help with heatsoak and I've wanted to do a vented hood for awhile but I think the problem is deeper than that.

The downpipe/exhaust is straight-through 3in.

Originally Posted by umair
Doesn't even sound like you were driving hard. You definitely have some other issues going on. Post a pic of the bay.
That's the thing as well, I wasn't pushing the car at all for the entire trip. Pics below.

Originally Posted by skinsfn36
Damn, that's scary. Sounds to me like you might have an oil leak somewhere. A turbo blanket shouldn't just catch fire. I'd bet some oil got on the blanket and starts smoking and maybe some flame.
I didn't realize this was apparently a hazard(?) but my valve cover vents from the exhaust side for the catch can, and I had to block off one of the ports because it was too close to the turbo and I couldn't run a line to it.

That block-off cap ripped a hole through my turbo blanket as they were in contact with one another. Engine torquing under load or rocky clutch starts probably didn't help. I had noticed that earlier in the week but still didn't think it would catch on fire.

Pics:

Old 11-29-2015, 06:41 AM

Disclaimer from the PTP website:

Disclaimer:
PTP turbo blankets and wraps are nonflammable. However, if flammable materials, such as oil or gasoline, are allowed to cover or saturate the material, a flame may be produced. Please make sure there are no fluid leaks within the engine compartment that could allow the turbo blanket or wrap to become contaminated with such liquids. PTP turbo blankets and wraps are not designed to be removed and replaced multiple times after being heat cycled through normal usage. The material becomes less pliable after heat cycling and thus, may not be as easily re-configured. (due to loss of flexibility) This loss of flexibility is normal, and does not adversely affect the material's heat insulation properties. PTP is not responsible for damage caused by improper usage of our products.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by skinsfn36
Disclaimer from the PTP website:

Disclaimer:
PTP turbo blankets and wraps are nonflammable...

...not responsible for damage caused by improper usage of our products.

There was a hole in the blanket, but no gas or oil leak that I have noticed. I'll have to look closer apparently.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:02 AM

Isn't it recommended to run a .063->.065 restrictor for Precision JB turbos? I have one on the feed and I'm considering taking it off to see if that improves anything. I put it on initially as I heard the oil pressure by default would be enough to cause smoking from the turbo but I never saw the turbo smoke prior to installing it.

Edit: I'm an idiot.

Turbo Getting Too Hot. Car Caught on Fire TWICE Today.-gggparg.jpg

There was a hole large enough in the nylon lines for my catch can where all of the blow-by was just being vented to the atmosphere, directly above my exhaust housing/turbo blanket. So yes, there WAS an oil/gas leak....

I'm replacing these with steel lines for now, and going to do a compression test on the engine and inspect the turbo to make sure there wasn't any collateral damage. I'm also going to start replacing all the lines that melted and clean up the engine bay.

If anyone reads this in the future, tap your valve cover for ventilation on the damn intake side, not the exhaust (I bought this valve cover already tapped, don't know why they used this side). There's OEM taps that you can use on that side as well, and it's proven to be more effective on the track. Plus your likelihood of f@#king fires is a lot lower.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:43 AM

Damn that sucks ! Time for some new fuel lines and an adjustable FPR

Quick Reply: Turbo Getting Too Hot. Car Caught on Fire TWICE Today.